StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped in the dealer yesterday to get the tire changed on my '83 V65 and noticed they have a new '14 model for $9500. I tried to sell my V65 last year so that I could get a Strom, but I was late in the season and didn't get much interest.

This year it's got some upgrades (new tire, new battery, just got a different seat) and it's earlier in the season so it'd sell easier.

These two totally different types of bikes, I realize that. Is that new bike a fair price?

·
Registered
21,984 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'd shop around a bit. Don't know where you're located, but here in the northeast several dealers had '14's less than that in the fall when i got mine.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Check cycle trader. There's one listed at $8K in Texas and a couple around $8.5K in Florida.

When I bought my leftover '14 last May, the same $8.5K deals were out there on Cycle Trader, but the dealers either didn't have the bike anymore or they wanted another $1K in various fees. That still would make it a little less than my dealer offered, but not worth the added expense of a fly-and-ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in the Black Hills in SD. Everything is higher priced here, it seems. There's tax, registration, those type of stupid fees, of course. I"m going to sit on it when I pick up my wheel today.

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
Since you live relatively close to me - there's a brand new 2014 V in Gimli Manitoba for $11,600 Canadian...subtract the almost 25% exchange rate - works out to $8700.00...or, there's a 2011 Vstrom with 2700km on it for $6400CDN at a dealer close to me - works out to $4800 U.S....and it has Givi crash bars, a centre stand and an aftermarket windshield..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I say on it today, boy it feels smaller than it is. I talked to the salesman and he made it sound like they wouldn't budge on price, not even a cash discount. I think it was a stripped down model, didn't have ABS.

They had a new 650 with a luggage rack and 2 bags for 10.5k

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Well, I say on it today, boy it feels smaller than it is. I talked to the salesman and he made it sound like they wouldn't budge on price, not even a cash discount. I think it was a stripped down model, didn't have ABS.

They had a new 650 with a luggage rack and 2 bags for 10.5k
They all have ABS if it's the new model. Too expensive in my mind. Do some research before committing to this one and unless you need to have a new bike now, buy a leftover 2015 in the fall/ winter. That gives you all winter to spend the money you saved on the essential upgrades :grin2:

You may need to travel a bit to get the best deal. Cycletrader gives a good cross section of where the prices are. Check "Romney Cycles" for a real competitive price then try to find a closer dealer to match or get close to that deal. Or buy it from them and ride it home.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Cycletrader shows a few new '14 DL1000As for around $8k plus all the fees.

If the salesman says it doesn't have ABS, he's either stupid, or it is a '13.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They have a '12 Yamaha Super Tenere that almost seems like a better value. It has 3 luggage bags, crash bars, and hand guards. It has 10k miles for about the same price as their "new" Strom.

·
Registered
21,984 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts