StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this bike a couple of weeks ago w/ <2100 miles. Been riding it any chance I get with no issues. Then I come out of work tonight & it is totally dead! Got a jump start, road it home, turned it off & it started right back up.
My 1st thought is that it's probably a 5 year old battery. Any ideas from you all?
Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
First thing I thought of, is that you turned the key one notch past off to aux, leaving the system energized. results, dead battery. Beyond that, check connections, electrolyte level. Use a volt meter check the voltage fully charged resting and under cranking load. Might tell you if the battery is weak or going.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
If it start it right after the ride I would agree with guys above. And no there is nothing wrong with 4 years old battery.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I always turn my key fully to the left then back one click.

Its now a habit and I never leave the parkers on that way.

Still could be the battery but it's far far more likely the parkers were left on.

I only expect about 3 years from a aftermarket battery but I expect 8 years or more from a original battery. (cars too)

My old 2009 Wee is still on it's original battery and so is my 2014 V2.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Load test it. If the battery voltage drops more than 2-3 V when you turn the key on with lights, it's probably bad.

I'd wait until it's officially dead before you get a new one. Unless you are rich and can just get a new one. :grin2:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
A load test would be a good idea, Batteries Plus or other places may do that for you. The parking lights is a possibility, but I guess I'm the oddball here. I picked up a 2014 recently with what I'm sure is the original battery, also with low miles and will be replacing the battery this weekend. I leave on a 10 day trip in a couple weeks, and will spend the $$ now to avoid being stranded in the middle of nowhere. I consider 5 years on a battery to be a good time to change it out, at about $20 / year, that's affordable peace of mind.

·
Vendor
4,901 Posts
There are some decent low priced batteries showing up on Amazon these days. the absolute cheapest are not reliable, but some about half the price of the most expensive are just as good. Read the reviews. I seem to never get more than 4 years out of a battery stock or otherwise, but battery maintenance is not my thing. If it were they would no doubt last longer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My battery was a new OEM installed in my 2015 when I bought it at the end of 2016. Died late last year so 2 years. Powersports batteries have a tough life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Here in OZ we don't have riding seasons we ride all year round, I would be on my bike at least 3 times a week just because I enjoy it, I do pity those that can't.

I'm sure this helps battery life but I think the aftermarket stuff sits around too long before it gets sold (here down under) and that shortens the life.

Here the fill yourself is the way to go if you can.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Here in OZ we don't have riding seasons we ride all year round, I would be on my bike at least 3 times a week just because I enjoy it, I do pity those that can't.

I'm sure this helps battery life but I think the aftermarket stuff sits around too long before it gets sold (here down under) and that shortens the life.

Here the fill yourself is the way to go if you can.
yes I get a Yuasa AGM with acid that you add.

I try and replace my batteries before they let me down.
Battery age is something you have control over. A consideration when it's a long walk to the highway/cell service.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I have a digital volt meter fitted and by studying the numbers each time I start the bike I will see when the battery is showing it's age.

It is like a small load test every time the bike is started and over time it will show the batteries performance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone! I ended up getting it tested & it was shot, so I got a new one.
Thanks again for all of the info!

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I just want to add that having a small lithium jump starter is a good idea.
I go out camping alone a lot and having a small jump starter is good insurance against having to walk.
You can get a decent one for about $60. They're priced mainly by how many amps they put out.
Get one for your ol lady as a gift. She won't ever need jump cables and have to depend on a stranger (danger).
Also, many riders don't know that you can't push start a bike with electronic fuel injection with a dead battery. It has to have a certain amount of elec. to fire.
You can also use them to charge your electronics at the end of the day on long trips.
I have never used my starter for my bike. I have jump started 6-7 cars though...and my lawnmower.
Just an option and Americans love an option!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts