Strom Trooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of Datel voltmeter threads, but haven't seen one that tells me the model most of you are using.

I'm guessing it's the traditional 2-wire DC voltmeter? I will mostly likely mount it under the PWD radar shelf.

DATEL DC Voltmeters

I don't know much about electrical but (starting with the EB H4 relay and PC-8 kits) I'm learning more and more every day.

Thanks for your help!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I got the DMS-20PC-1-DCM and love it. I almost got the blue one but several people told me that it was obnoxious at night. Didn't want to chance it so I stuck with the red. Also, if you get one with two digits after the decimal point, it can be quite distracting as the numbers almost never stop changing....

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely want the 3-digit meter. "13.2" as opposed to the extra digit "13.21"

The part # DMS-20PC-1-DCM (red) says 3 1/2 Digit Red LED. Does the "1/2" mean the second digit after the decimal?

The part # DMS-20PC-2-DCM says 3 Digit Red LED. Meaning one digit after the decimal?

The "view package" under the "Size" column is not specific to the part number.
All show the same generic image. DMS-20PC-DCM Series LED DC Voltmeters

·
Registered
80 Posts
The 1/2 means the digit on the far left only has half the segments of the other three.

On the DMS-20PC-1-DCM, the far left digit is not used and there is only one digit to the right of the decimal point. The DMS-20PC-2-DCM has no decimal point.

Check this page out for a good explanation on 1/2 digit displays.

Here's what mine looks like:

·
Registered
80 Posts
You're welcome!

I don't know if they're the best place to order from but that's where I got mine! They shipped fast and answered questions promptly. :thumbup:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All's I need is a good word. I will order from them.

Thanks again!

Next step... how-to use a multimeter to measure voltage, etc... and which inexpensive multimeter to get.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
944 Posts
For your purposes, any cheap multimeter should do. I would get one that measures resistance (ohms), AC volts, and DC volts.

Here is an example:
7 Function Multimeter

As far as how to measure voltage.... just turn it on and twist the dial to DV Volts (if trying to measure a battery) and select something like the 20V range. Touch the red lead on battery + and the black lead on battery -. You can do this on an AA battery, etc as well. The display should show you the voltage output by the battery.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alrighty! There's a Harbor Freight about 15 miles from my house. For $5.29 I'll get two, just in case one breaks... or if I break it. lol

I was looking at brands and models at amazon, Lowe's, Home Depot, Radio Shack and other places, but had no idea what to get. The only thing I knew was I wasn't going get one that cost me more than $30.

There are a number of How-to's on youtube that I will check out. Those lessons should help some.

I'll start with Voltar's first lesson.

Thanks much!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, that's the idea I had. Saw a similar one a different thread that gave me the idea. Small, out of the way, and easily viewable.

What is that device to the left of the voltmeter? A 12 volt power outlet?

The top of the shelf I'm guessing that is for the GPS holder?

I've read the PWD shelf can/does vibrate some with heavy items attached. Did you stabilize it?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
When the weather's good and the summer road is calling... all farkling goes on hold. But now I have a reason to get the wiring finished. A week long camping trip soon.

I have the USB and ciggy lighter chargers hooked up from the PC-8 to the BC tank bag (not electrified). That was a fairly easy job.

Next, I want to put the Datel voltmeter under the right side of the Pat Walsh radar shelf. I am unsure of where to run the 18g wiring. This will also go to the PC-8.

I am thinking under the radar shelf, then over the top of the headlight fairing, down the slot behind the windshield. After that I'm not sure where along the right fairing panel I should run the wires. Just hang 'em loose until I get to the frame?

Hmmm... I didn't think about this until now... I should probably get a connector in case I have to remove the fairing... ya?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts