StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my Datel voltmeter, it will be install in a Rickland auxiliary shelf when I comes in but wanted to work through the wiring. I was going to run the voltmeter off the ignition wiring but have never done this so pointers would be great. This way the meter will be on when I turn on the bike. From what I can tell I need at least 16g wire and the connectors for the meter itself. Not sure which wires I need to strip to connect the voltmeter to work properly. Or if the ignition is the best circuit to leech off of. (as you can see I am a newbie in electrical work but have to start some where).
The power outlets I got from eastern beaver so they are all wired up with fuses so I was thinking about connecting them straight to the battery. Now I have my air horn already connected there too so that would be three extra connects on the battery, is this going to be an issue? Also should I worry about people plugging into the outlets (my baby sits outside) so should I do some other kind of wiring?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
You'll prolly need to put longer screws in the battery terminals to hold the extra connections. This is why people go with a fuse block.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Fuse panel thought, for some reason it didn't even click in my head. I just ordered the Eastern Beaver PC-8 with vstrom wiring kit. It seems straight forward but took a look at the rear brake connector for the switch lead... Can't find it so once it comes in that part will be fun!!!

I was thinking of wiring it as c1 with 5amp fuse for the Voltmeter. C2 and C3 will have the power outlets with 10amp fuses. C6 will have the stebal air horn with 15 amp fuse. And C7 will have a tickler lead connected.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I did not want to start a new thread since this was already here, but I have a somewhat related question for this setup.

I have Rick's shelf installed and have the datel voltmeter ready to go on. If anyone has this setup, have you secured the voltmeter to rick's shelf or is it ok to have it simply dropped in the cutout? I'm considering ordering the bezel from datel and then I saw that little retaining clip that came with the voltmeter. As much as I have tried, I can't seem to understand how to rig that thing up :headbang:.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
If the Datel retainer is a bowed piece of thin sheet metal with a roughly rectangular hole in it with teeth on the two ends, then it just pushes over the back of the Datel until it touches the back of the panel that it's mounted in.

If the Datel fits snugly in the panel, then the retainer may not be necessary.
Sometimes, a hole is machined in a plate that fits nicely, then the part is powder coated which makes the hole a bit tight, if that's the case then the powder coat will hold the Datel nice and snug.

Make any sense?

·
Registered
376 Posts
You'll prolly need to put longer screws in the battery terminals to hold the extra connections. This is why people go with a fuse block.
Agreed, and I have a fuse block. However, in the past I have used a toothpick to hold the nut a little closer to the terminal so that the screw can catch on it when you have a few terminal rings stacked up. Even had to do that just for the battery tender terminal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts