1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
When I did mine I went with the simple 2 wire RED Datel.

It can still be read in the daylight without issue in most all circumstances.

I mounted mine on a shelf that I made similar to the ones that Richland Rick sells that mount on the front of the triple clamp. I also have a power outlet and heated grip switch there.
If you have an issue seeing it at some moment in the daylight hold your hand over it to block the sun and you'll be able to read it just fine.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I'm looking at datel meters, and wondering

keep it simple and get a 2 wire meter,

or

get the daylight readable meter that requires a 5v power supply

if I do get the daylight readable meter can I just power it from the bike using a resistor or do I need some kind of special voltage regulator
You'll be happy day or night with the red 2-wire Datel from this guy: http://www.digitalmeter.com/

This shot was taken at high noon on a sunny day. The meter is sealed and has two screw terminals -- just tap 12V anywhere. No resistors needed. A bezel is also available. If I had to do it over, I would have located it closer to the blinker. It's somewhat obscured by the cables in this particular location. (The knob is for the CLS heated grips.)

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Tom, I notice yours is reading to tenths of volts rather than hundredths

did you get the 8.0-50.0 rather than the 4.50-19.99 model?
Model DMS-20PC-1-DCM; 8.0-50.0 DC; 13mA max.

Even as a Navy-trained electronic tech, I find it completely adequate and have never felt the need or desire to pull the 4 1/2 digit Fluke out of my tool bag. :mrgreen: The hundredths digit would prolly be flashing all the time anyway.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Don't bother with the hundreth of a volt. It will just annoy you with it flashing all the time. Tenth of a volt is all you need. The Datel unit is nice, had them on all my VFR's and now on the Vstrom.

TM

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have the 2 wire red Datel mounted on Richland Rick's shelf and I have never been in a situation where I couldn't read it if I need to. I would get the same unit if I did it over again. Mine also reads as XX.X

1 - 7 of 7 Posts