StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to schedule my northward ride to coincide with
the annual Ontario "Jailbreak" ride from Barrie to Muskoka.

I have a source for Florida's finest oranges, and I have a few
souvenirs of Harbor Freight (remember the voltmeters?) for you.

SO WHEN WILL IT BE?

I ask because I want to ride north, then fly home on Tuesday after the ride.
If I purchase the ticket fairly soon, I can get a flight that is particularly
convenient for me. If I wait until mid-March, that flight will be sold out.

One quirk I have noticed about Ontario riders:
NOBODY (well almost nobody) likes the stock windshield and how it is attached.
Well, my windshield is now so scratched and fuzzy that I must replace it,
so when you see my bike, Colorado, it will have a new hand-made windshield.
$20 at Home Depot. I think you will like it ... well, no I think most won't.
But I will.

Keith

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
One quirk I have noticed about Ontario riders:
NOBODY (well almost nobody) likes the stock windshield and how it is attached.
Well, my windshield is now so scratched and fuzzy that I must replace it,
so when you see my bike, Colorado, it will have a new hand-made windshield.
$20 at Home Depot. I think you will like it ... well, no I think most won't.
But I will.

Keith
Keith, I can't help you regarding the date of the spring ride, but I think I have a stick windscreen you can have - very few scratches and I don't need it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Jail Break?

Hey Keith,
Tell us more about this Jail Break ride? Have I had my head in the sand too long? Just itching to get on two wheels again :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You remember; you just don't remember you remember.

Hey Keith,
Tell us more about this Jail Break ride? Have I had my head in the sand too long? Just itching to get on two wheels again :mrgreen:
It is the ride from Essa Road to Windermere (traditionally) and then lunch
at some Muskoka restaurant, then a leisurely romp to Washago, where we
all go our separate ways.

You and I were there, but I beat you to the dumpster behind the restaurant.
I look forward to seeing you, along with other friends old and new,
at this year's Spring Ride.

I bumped the thread about that ride, so it may be just after this thread.
Keith

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just give me an hour to tackle this ...

Keith, I can't help you regarding the date of the spring ride, but I think I have a stick windscreen you can have - very few scratches and I don't need it.
Thanks very much, Shane, but I have the plastic to make my own,
and I look forward to the fabrication and the extra width of plastic.

Keith

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Hey, thanks for the push on this Keith.

We are just getting past trying to start our cars in -20C to go to work in the mornings here. Not many people are even thinking that far ahead yet...Well no, maybe this deep freeze IS starting to get people dreaming of getting through the winter a little sooner and out on the annual ride!

Looks to me like this year it will be May 3rd, as that is the first Sunday in May and in theory it will be a bit warmer. Hopefully warmer than last year anyway, when it was snowing at some points. We don't need people to risk hypothermia again.

I’ll certainly go, unless the weather is at least as poor, or worse, than last year. It is a habit that has become hard to break.

I think shorter to the restaurant this time so we aren't worn out for the afternoon makes sense. -Especially if the weather turns poor again.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Hey, thanks for the push on this Keith.

We are just getting past trying to start our cars in -20C to go to work in the mornings here. Not many people are even thinking that far ahead yet...Well no, maybe this deep freeze IS starting to get people dreaming of getting through the winter a little sooner and out on the annual ride!

Looks to me like this year it will be May 3rd, as that is the first Sunday in May and in theory it will be a bit warmer. Hopefully warmer than last year anyway, when it was snowing at some points. We don't need people to risk hypothermia again.

I’ll certainly go, unless the weather is at least as poor, or worse, than last year. It is a habit that has become hard to break.

I think shorter to the restaurant this time so we aren't worn out for the afternoon makes sense. -Especially if the weather turns poor again.

Cheers
Why not make it the second weekend in May? Historically that's about 4 degrees warmer. I've never been on this ride but i'm hoping to this year.

Putting dates aside what are the typical starting point and end points and how long does it go?

Example
Start: Bancroft Saturday morning
End: Muskokas Saturday evening

Just trying to figure out if I need a hotel room, etc.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Why not make it the second weekend in May? Historically that's about 4 degrees warmer. I've never been on this ride but i'm hoping to this year.

Putting dates aside what are the typical starting point and end points and how long does it go?

Example

2nd weekend in May would be great as it wouldn't conflict with Romney

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Past Experience Does Not Guarantee Future Performance

Example

I have been on approximately six of these rides since 2006 or so. They have started at 9:00 AM at the Esso Station (next to Tim's) at Essa Road and 400 in south Barrie, then wandered to Bracebridge and then along the Brackenrig Road to Windemere for a group photo. Then lunch at Rosseau or Port Carling, then a ride to the vicinity of Washago, whence we spread out to our homes at about 3:30 PM.

Last year I booked a room at Barrie Motel. It was OK accommodation, but no stars; I won't go back there. A few years ago I had a room at Howard Johnson's on Dunlop Street. I'd give it a star, maybe two. This year I plan to stay at Days Inn at 60 Bryne Drive, which is just a seven-iron shot from that Esso station. I will get a room with two beds, one for me and one for my friend Norm (rides a Honda ST-1300). We may have room for a couple of guests, either in cots or on air mattresses that the guests themselves bring.

I have no vote here, because this is an Ontario ride.
I am hoping you choose May 10 over May 3,
but I am prepared for either date.

I will bring oranges, probably enough for two for everyone.
I will also bring some simple tools and gadgets from Harbor Freight.

Keith

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
From the beginning of this event it was last Sunday of April when basically every year weather wasn't cooperating. I guess 2 years ago, after some battle, with "traditionalists" we got most votes for MayDay. The first one in May the weather cooperated very well. Maybe now (considering climat changes) we should push it even farther down the calender. Specialy that quite few of us are going to Romney, WV (more riders are welcome to discover great hospitality and beautiful roads, if you never been there). Must say last year even down there (few hundreds km South) weather wasn't great (at least on the Sunday way back to Ontario). So who votes for Sunday, May 10th? I'm in! With perhaps 2 or 3 V Stroms and 1 or 2 other adventure bikes.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Hi Keith. Isn't that hotel conveniently close to a Tim Horton's?

I don't know if I'll be able to join you guys for the ride but I might make it to the Esso station for the initial gathering.

I have been on approximately six of these rides since 2006 or so. They have started at 9:00 AM at the Esso Station (next to Tim's) at Essa Road and 400 in south Barrie, then wandered to Bracebridge and then along the Brackenrig Road to Windemere for a group photo. Then lunch at Rosseau or Port Carling, then a ride to the vicinity of Washago, whence we spread out to our homes at about 3:30 PM.

Last year I booked a room at Barrie Motel. It was OK accommodation, but no stars; I won't go back there. A few years ago I had a room at Howard Johnson's on Dunlop Street. I'd give it a star, maybe two. This year I plan to stay at Days Inn at 60 Bryne Drive, which is just a seven-iron shot from that Esso station. I will get a room with two beds, one for me and one for my friend Norm (rides a Honda ST-1300). We may have room for a couple of guests, either in cots or on air mattresses that the guests themselves bring.

I have no vote here, because this is an Ontario ride.
I am hoping you choose May 10 over May 3,
but I am prepared for either date.

I will bring oranges, probably enough for two for everyone.
I will also bring some simple tools and gadgets from Harbor Freight.

Keith

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I am game to go the Sunday of either weekend at this point.
The 10th probably does work better because as said, it won't conflict with Romney and more breathing room between this ride and Bancroft.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I am game to go the Sunday of either weekend at this point.
The 10th probably does work better because as said, it won't conflict with Romney and more breathing room between this ride and Bancroft.
Either date works for me at this point. The 10th is my preference and seems to have some popular backing. It might be better for weather. Proving our hardiness is not the aim here.

I've been on this ride four (five?) times, arriving either from Ottawa or from Newcastle. From Ottawa has included usually two nights of camping or motel room, though last year I headed straight back home to Ottawa after the ride. That worked fine. But Keith, if I could "make me a pallet on your floor, make me a pallet down soft and low", that would work just fine too. Anyway, I'm looking forward once again to the ride.

Cheers all.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Keith. Isn't that hotel conveniently close to a Tim Horton's?

[... image discarded]

I don't know if I'll be able to join you guys for the ride but I might make it to the Esso station for the initial gathering.
Ya know, Heavy, I do not actually miss Tim's Apple fritters, because the 7-11
stores in Florida stock 5-ounce Apple fritters that are just as good as Tim's.
I would bring one to show you, except that the Canada Customs Guards would
surely sniff it out and demand I destroy it. Just as USA is a citrus-exporting country
and does not permit importation of oranges etc., Canada is a Donut-exporting
country, and forbids entry of any pastry the like of which is manufactured
"above the 49th parallel" and they allow no latitude in their rulings.

I kinda think that, if you show up to wave us off, you will change your
mind and ride with us. Suppose I bring some Florida Lottery tickets and
give one to everybody who rides to the luncheon stop? Are you tempted?

Maliciously,
Keith

I see that tenny80 and perArdua have accepted my offer of a cot
or some floor space. OK, and I will try not to snore (I wonder how).

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts

You have a bike that works now. You HAVE to come!

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
You have a bike that works now. You HAVE to come!

..Tom
I still don't have it in my possession. It's still tucked away, safe and sound in the shipping crate. I promised to sell one of the bikes I have now, before I pick up the new one.....still working on that.
:furious:

1 - 20 of 132 Posts