StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
The dash turn signal bulbs are LEDs. All the bulbs in dash are.

The manual says to replace the whole meter unit if any of the LEDs in it stop working properly.:frown2:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Screws, plastic rivets, and hidden plastic clips. Remove the screws & rivets, then pry it off the clips.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When you go to remove the rivets take a small soft nose object that is small enough to fit in the middle of the rivet and simply push on them be able to easily pop them out with your finger nails to remove them. Once you go to put them back in you can pull the center out and then press it flush once the rivet is in place.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The manual says to replace the whole meter unit if any of the LEDs in it stop working properly.:frown2:
Well that's one type of bike I won't ever be tempted to buy.

So the dash is a throwaway item if an led fails! How long before the whole bike is a disposable item if a bulb fails or the aircleaner needs cleaning or a tyre gets worn?
FFS.:furious:

·
Administrator
17,541 Posts
I have never had a dash bulb go out on any bike, so I would imagine that LED are going to last even longer.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Well that's one type of bike I won't ever be tempted to buy.

So the dash is a throwaway item if an led fails! How long before the whole bike is a disposable item if a bulb fails or the aircleaner needs cleaning or a tyre gets worn?
FFS.:furious:
The OP didn't say the bulb isn't working, he said he wanted to gain access to it. Maybe he is troubleshooting the switch or something.

Maybe he needs to do the recall first.

·
Administrator
17,541 Posts
The OP didn't say the bulb isn't working, he said he wanted to gain access to it. Maybe he is troubleshooting the switch or something.

Maybe he needs to do the recall first.
My guess it has to do with installing a signal minder or auto cancel signals.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The leds may last very well, and the OP may not have a blown one, but if the manual calls for replacing the instrument panel if a light fails, my comments still stand.

Reactions: Old Time Rider

·
Administrator
17,541 Posts
The leds may last very well, and the OP may not have a blown one, but if the manual calls for replacing the instrument panel if a light fails, my comments still stand.
And how is it any different than a car these days? :fineprint:

·
Registered
622 Posts
And how is it any different than a car these days? :fineprint:
Its not, but that doesn't make it right IMHO!

Part of the attraction of motorcycling for me is to have a relatively simple machine that I can work on myself, and is cheap to run/maintain. All my previous bikes fit these criteria (last two were an R60/6 BMW and a GS500) but the Strom is pushing the edge of my comfort zone with the ridiculously tiresome to remove plastics and EFI.
I'm just a grumpy old man who likes things simple and hates the waste in our throwaway society.
All that said, I love riding the Strom!0:)

·
Administrator
17,541 Posts
Its not, but that doesn't make it right IMHO!

Part of the attraction of motorcycling for me is to have a relatively simple machine that I can work on myself, and is cheap to run/maintain. All my previous bikes fit these criteria (last two were an R60/6 BMW and a GS500) but the Strom is pushing the edge of my comfort zone with the ridiculously tiresome to remove plastics and EFI.
I'm just a grumpy old man who likes things simple and hates the waste in our throwaway society.
All that said, I love riding the Strom!0:)
Something to say about "simplicity" but it is even getting darn near impossible to find a carb bike these days. To be honest.....FI is so good and reliable, that I can't see any advantage to carb machines. With computer controlled comes more computers, but that is not always a bad thing as it allows fine tuning and many times more options than without. Motorcycles are not like cars, cars are turn the key and take off with "hopefully" minimal maintenance and hassles. Owning a motorcycle is a very personal relationship, it forces you in many cases to get to know what you love doing. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Push in rivet center, remove with fingernail, allen key to bottom two fasteners, remove gently pulling apart. When reassembling, take care to locate the central pin that centers the panel to the backplate. Switched out the stock power outlet for USB (thanks Rick Hughes - Adventuretech). Orange joined to live, black neutral, 20 mins.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Stromateacup know the feeling but see Big B idea and true that they are just so good even if not keeping up with cars in amount of trouble free miles from most. That's what makes any recall or troubles seem so bad now. Carried so many tools with my old shovel head chopper and used them! Points and carb are usually more likely to be fixed on road side and keep going.
Your GS500,.Had the granddaddy of them a first year 1977 GS 400. Got it because speeding tickets on my big fours were costing me more than any thing on my 97 mile 3rd shift job. I had taken the bike new from the shop to its first owner a young gal. A birthday gift from her dad. Three years later she had a car for two years and two young boys had raged it out. $265 ,I got the tail piece back together,turn signals from my stash and low bars.Only 21,000 on it but I put 70,000 more then traded it for two sets of wheels and a four barrel and intake for small block.Had a lot of cheap work bikes after that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So what new bikes can you replace the bulbs in? Don't know, just wondering. I would guess this is probably just about standard across the industry today. Personally I'd rather have the smaller longer lasting LEDs that use less power than a larger incandescent that you'd have to replace regularly.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Nobody makes a bike like that because it would be so problematic it would not be worth the cost of the sockets, and there are dozens of LED lights on a motorcycle.

LED Life Expectancy. LEDs have a general life expectancy of 50 000 hrs. If you use your lights for 10 hours a day, this should be 13.7 yrs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Still after many years of riding I sometimes forget to turn off my turn lights. That's why I was thinking of replacing the original indicators with some high intensity LEDs. But after reading this thread I understand that it will be impossible.

I have a small project to engage on this winter while my DL1000A is hibernating; a replacement bulb in each front turn lights with an embedded magnetic transducer which will transmit to a simple receiver device in my helmet giving the familar tick-tock-sound when any of the turn lights run.

If successful I will revert here to give a report and maybe a share some info.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Still after many years of riding I sometimes forget to turn off my turn lights. That's why I was thinking of replacing the original indicators with some high intensity LEDs. But after reading this thread I understand that it will be impossible.

I have a small project to engage on this winter while my DL1000A is hibernating; a replacement bulb in each front turn lights with an embedded magnetic transducer which will transmit to a simple receiver device in my helmet giving the familar tick-tock-sound when any of the turn lights run.

If successful I will revert here to give a report and maybe a share some info.
There is simple device on ebay, indicator buzzer. There are two types, one without delay and one with adjustable delay. For many years I use them on my bikes. First I used ones without delay, they cost just few bucks. Later I decided to move to ones with adjustable delay so they start beeping only after 30 sec or so. This last one I used for 3 years on my previous bike and now I moved it to my new bike. I have one more as a backup but it seems it's never gonna fail. I'm talking about few bucks price, something like this:

Without delay:
CAR INDICATOR WARNING BUZZER , A MUST HAVE | eBay

With delay:
MOTORBIKE INDICATOR WARNING BUZZER , ADJUSTABLE DELAY 0-20 FLASHES A MUST HAVE | eBay

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I was actually surprised to find that my 2016 glee doesn't have an led taillight like the SV did. Just one regular bulb. The double row of 14 leds on the sv were really bright and I liked it a lot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts