StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

New to me 2015 Vstrom 1000se arriving soon. Got great deal on new old stock from out of town dealer. Looking for some farkles and considering the various dash mount systems and handle bar mounts for GPS and Hero Session. It looks like the dash mounts from Ravetech and Sw-Motech appear to have significant vibration issues associated with the fairing flex. Would a center handlebar mount vibrate less? Thoughts.

OEM Nav bracket looks good for GPS, but pricey from Suzuki.

2015 V-Strom 1000se
OEM side cases
OEM engine guard
OEM hand guards
OEM center stand
Givi SRA3105 top case mount (just arrived from Moto Storm)
Givi BF-18 tank mount (just arrived from Moto Storm)

·
Registered
858 Posts
I've had both and the bar mount was much more stable - actually it was Rick's mirror extenders drilled for a RAM ball.
That said I still use Rick's over dash mount and find it adequate for my needs.
If I'm on a bumpy ass road the last thing I'm doing is trying to read the GPS screen!

Reactions: Motor7

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
We have also tried both, yes the handle bar mount does give the GPS a very stable platform and is easy to read/reach

But we prefer Ricks over the dash mount, it does shake around a bit but the only time we really want to see the screen is when we are in town even tho we get directions thru the headset its good to be able to see the map which you can.

As its in the centre we both find it a better position.

Something to consider is there is a slight reach to the GPS when mounted over the dash which you don't get with it on the bars.

Maybe sit on your bike and try reaching forward to the top of the dash versus the position you might install your GPS on the bars and see what feels comfortable for you.

Cheers V2man & GotaV2

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
I would be worried that the extra vibration from having it up front could effect the GPS in a bad way. I have always had mine on the bar and it is fine.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I like mine on the left bar were it's easy to use my clutch hand to hit the screen. I have had them centered and more in my line of site but they are hard to reach. Both locations work fine to me.

I know I am gonna die using a GPS on the fly....no need to educate me. I plug tires too. Lets see what gets me first.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks All

Great info.

2015 V-Strom 1000se
OEM side cases
OEM engine guard
OEM hand guards
OEM center stand
Givi SRA3105 top case mount (just arrived from Moto Storm)
Givi BF-18 tank mount (just arrived from Moto Storm)

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is my solution. It's a piece of 3/4 EMT with the ends flattened, drilled, and painted. I added 2 spacers and some hardware to raise the mirrors up and out. Works great.

Attachments

Reactions: NorthBay94928

·
Registered
24 Posts
Damn Zip-Zag that is a great mount!!!!

I will post a pick in a bit, I have tried angle iron mounted to windscreen brackets which was too woobly and then a piece of square aluminum tubing mounted on the windscreen brackets and it still shook. Then I put the extra heavy springs on the windscreen brackets and that helped, it will work, but drives me crazy with wiggles and bounces at slow speeds.

The bar mounts are the only way in my mind and your bracket gets the GPS up high and more stable than the 'dash mount',

PLUS love the price of this fix !!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I prefer to have mine on the dash mount. At a glance you can look at it and keep the road in your peripheral if not directly in line of sight. With them being on the bars you have to look down and away from the road ahead to see it, at least I do. I am over 6' tall though so YMMV if you are a munchkin.

·
Premium Member
5,226 Posts
I prefer bar mount as I can orient the phone to avoid glare and easily access the controls.

Too far away on the dash.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Adventuretech over dash mount. The least distractive location!!!

If you are bouncing over rocks it shakes ... BUT ... you need no GPS when you are bouncing over rocks. Under normal riding conditions no issues with excessive vibration using the stock windscreen mount spring setup. I did not change anything but bolt on the AT mount.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My pics stuff is not working but if you look at my garage, m $16 mount in the MIDDLE of my bars has worked GREAT! Not vibration, no loosening and no vibration. It has a steel mount to bat and the the ball head is polymer. It works for me so I can use either hand easily and it still is below the drip line with my Givi windscreen at stops. Just my setup. I know everyone finds what works for them, and THAT is what is so great about this bike...and US!

·
Vendor
5,367 Posts
Here is way to get a feel of how the various mounting positions affect you while riding. Keep in mind I'm talking only about glancing at your GPS or smart phone, not programming. That should be done before you put the bike in gear.

Go here and make this full screen. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/iYrqYcryblA/maxresdefault.jpg

Now put you hands on the desk where they would be simulating how they would be on your handlebar.

Glance down to your left hand and back. See how the car disappears from view?

Then glance down to your keyboard simulating looking at a GPS mounted to the center of the handlebar. Car disappears again.

Now glance down to the bottom of your screen to simulate the GPS above the dash. One like this:

or this

You can still see the car in your upper periphery vision. This is important when trying to "read" a gps and maintain awareness of what is happening around you.

Also cords and such don't run along handlebars.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have an '06. My phone/gps is held by a Ram X grip. I use a Ram medium length arm and the ball is mounted to a homemade 1/4" plate aluminum bracket attached to the adjustable windshield bracket in its high position. This puts the screen up where you can see it. When riding backcountry routes and back roads it is much easier to follow the gps than if it is mounted to the left side handlebar. Very distracting to look down that much.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I just moved mine from left bar to center bar. Seems pretty good. If the ice ever melts off my lane I'll be able to get somewhere to try it...lol

My question... Many people comment that "it's very distracting to look down that much" or some such comment. How often are you actually looking at the GPS? I only glance at it occasionally during a ride. I do almost zero city riding so the distances between turns is relatively long. No need to be looking at the screen every 30 seconds. If I need to do an "oh crap, I'm off the route" check, I always stop to realign my bearings. The GPS is a tool for me, not an entertainment device. If I'm going to be distracted and whiff, I'd rather it be because I was gawking at scenery and not a little screen. All that being said, I understand, to each their own, and personal preference is just that, personal.

Happy riding!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not the greatest example but you can see how you can easily see the gps without tilting your head or taking your eyes off the road, having it in my peripheral vision I feel I know what's going on without actually focusing on it. Much safer and easier to use in this position as compared to when I had it mounted on the bars, it's like you subconsciously process the information without turning it into a task, task meaning distraction.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
...My question... Many people comment that "it's very distracting to look down that much" or some such comment. How often are you actually looking at the GPS? ...
Since the bike does not show accurate speed I check speed more often than anything else on the GPS. Just too easy to get carried away on a nice twisty road. :) I rarely ride locally, mainly longer distance touring.

I have mine pretty high, although this shot exaggerates it a bit because the camera was below normal line of vision, I look over the windscreen:

·
Registered
482 Posts
I use mine for a speedo too. I think it will work well in the center of the bars. Haven't found a good way for a dash mount on a K2. It actually covers the bottom portion of my cluster so I'll have to peek around to see my fuel gauge and neutral light. It does not interfere with the turn signal indicators though. This is in landscape mode. Portrait is a different story and how I'm used to running. Always something new to get used to...
Like yours, this pic is from a lower angle.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts