StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my friend has a Rexing Dash cam on his k1600 BMW and the filming quality is exceptional.
I am in process of ordering on line , and looks that for around $ 250 I Can get a good one with all the weasels and jingles .What is what you are using and How happy you are.
I am not even half way but This sport is getting more expensive daily.:smile2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I put an Innovv K1 on my K1600GT last year and have had no issues and was pretty easy to install both cameras and the DVR. I don't believe the K1 is available any longer as its been replaced with the K2 model. It's good to have the peace of mind it's recorded if I get hit, but the cameras don't make other drivers more cautious, but the red light on my helmet cam will help with that

·
Registered
480 Posts
It's mostly a preference thing. My son has the helmet mount go pro that requires periodic removal for charging but he can capture video in any direction he is looking. I prefer front and rear mounted cameras that turn on/off when I cycle the ignition key so I don't have to think about camera setup and maintenance in comparison to helmet mounted.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's mostly a preference thing. My son has the helmet mount go pro that requires periodic removal for charging but he can capture video in any direction he is looking. I prefer front and rear mounted cameras that turn on/off when I cycle the ignition key so I don't have to think about camera setup and maintenance in comparison to helmet mounted.
I will buy and dash cam and GO PRO , but I need to know a good dash cam in the market.

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
Re helmet cams, some jurisdictions don't allow them as the authorities claim the camera mount can compromise the helmet integrity.

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
I'm going to try this one:

Blueskysea DV688 Motorcycle Dash Cam With GPS 1080p Dual Lens Motorcycle Recording Camera 2.35" LCD IP67 Waterproof Screen 130 Degree Angle Night Vision Latest Version

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DX53HBD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Please let us know how you like it. I currently use a Mobius Actioncam https://www.amazon.com/Mobius-Action-Camera-1080P-Sports/dp/B00DP1WYD2 which is infinitely adjustable via free downloadable software. The only issue I have is that at 55mph+ the wind noise drowns the audio.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Consider how you intend to use the cam, as it may push you towards one product or another.

• Simply to have a video record of any incidents / accidents which may arise? If so, you may want features like: ability to hardwire to the bike, auto-on / -off and auto-start / -stop recording when the bike is on / off, and loop recording
  • Is audio important while riding at speed? While slow or stationary?
  • Do you intend to edit and / or publish your videos, and if so, for what purpose?
I only really care about a video record of incidents / accidents. Audio while stopped (for example after an accident) is a nice to have, and I don't particularly care about audio while moving.

So I use a Mobius ActionCam C2 (I think; their widest lens as of a year or two ago) mounted to the front of my '15 DL650A. It does a fine job, at a good price for my purposes. The image quality isn't amazing, but it's Good Enough. And it hits all the features in my first bullet above. I plan to add another to the back of the bike one of these days.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Consider how you intend to use the cam, as it may push you towards one product or another.

• Simply to have a video record of any incidents / accidents which may arise? If so, you may want features like: ability to hardwire to the bike, auto-on / -off and auto-start / -stop recording when the bike is on / off, and loop recording
  • Is audio important while riding at speed? While slow or stationary?
  • Do you intend to edit and / or publish your videos, and if so, for what purpose?
I only really care about a video record of incidents / accidents. Audio while stopped (for example after an accident) is a nice to have, and I don't particularly care about audio while moving.

So I use a Mobius ActionCam C2 (I think; their widest lens as of a year or two ago) mounted to the front of my '15 DL650A. It does a fine job, at a good price for my purposes. The image quality isn't amazing, but it's Good Enough. And it hits all the features in my first bullet above. I plan to add another to the back of the bike one of these days.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I will read about it.
ride safe/Ride long:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
I've found that too. I turn audio off for use where wind is a problem and have read some use a piece of tape or something over the mic opening.
Tried that. It doesn't work. I even purchased an accessory molded silicone "raincoat" and then tried smearing non-hardening silicone as well. What a mess.
My conclusion is that the two halves of the shell must become wedged apart when you push the camera onto its mount.
The Mobius was originally designed for RC drone use so perhaps the high wind pressures of motorcycles at speed were never considered.

It's great at lower speeds and on the front of the bike - but putting it back in the turbulence is not a good idea.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
Tried that. It doesn't work. I even purchased an accessory molded silicone "raincoat" and then tried smearing non-hardening silicone as well. What a mess.
My conclusion is that the two halves of the shell must become wedged apart when you push the camera onto its mount.
The Mobius was originally designed for RC drone use so perhaps the high wind pressures of motorcycles at speed were never considered.

It's great at lower speeds and on the front of the bike - but putting it back in the turbulence is not a good idea.
I turn audio off with the included software that came with the sd card because of the wind noise on the bike. I plug mobius into my pc to switch audio on/off.
I tried one of those silicone weather things too to protect camera from bugs but the camera won't fit into it's mount with it installed so I can't see how the silicone weather thing is of much use.

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
The silicone weather cover is intended to be fitted once the camera is mounted on its base. It does fit - with some stretching.
I do like the engine noise but sometimes turn it off.

·
Registered
10,149 Posts
I find the best but cheapest 4k wide angle action cams on amazon on sale that loops and can go on and off with the key. These things are stolen constantly. Certainly nothing over $75 and one of the best ones I have was on sale for $29. I have them front and rear for catching the deer and the crazy cagers. My riding buddies son just lost his Garmin Virb Ultra 30 from a Kaw Vulcan. Nice camera with cool telemetry - gone...

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
In my search I've seen that the Innov model has most of the features that I like about my car cams... However, the reviews have been very off-putting.

I contacted ThinkWare, and they are on the verge of releasing a motorcycle dash cam. I'll give that one a look once they are available. Funny thing was the first thought I had after installing the dash cams in my car was "Why is the DVR unit mounted to the windshield where it can be stolen or deleted?" The DVR unit should be remotely mounted in a secure location and both the front and rear cameras (instead of just the rear) should be remote cameras only. This alone would also make their units motorcycle friendly. The expensive part is locked under the seat away from the weather. The "cheap" cameras are the only thing exposed, and they can become very subtle since they are only cameras.

In the meantime I'll be looking over the articles and suggestions here.

Currently I am using a Sena Prism Tube. They are very simple, very compact, have about the same battery run time as a Go-Pro, and they only cost about $120. No bells or whistles though. Works adequately for insurance / evidence. Built in mic will record audio when stopped and talking, or there is an option for mic and speaker mounted inside your helmet.

I'm itching to get one that is hard wired and records front and rear (on a single central DVR unit).

Motorcycle mounted units typically experience video tearing at certain RPM's from vibrations. Helmet cams are very smooth, but are usually limited by battery capacity or require a connected cord.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts