StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am probably going to get flack for this but my new to me v Strom needs a back tire replacement. I have a new set of anakee 2 tires but don't want to use them. I am trying to find some of the tires mentioned on this site but haven't had any luck. That being said will any 205-50/17 tire work? I like the general altimax HP but haven't heard of anyone using them.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
Did you use the little google box at the top of the page? There has been copious amount writted about them car tires.
And yes, it's a terrible idea that works well for those who like them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you use the little google box at the top of the page? There has been copious amount writted about them car tires.
And yes, it's a terrible idea that works well for those who like them.
Why yes I did and thanks for being a smart a$$!! That being said did you use spell check? I am not real sure what writted is. As a matter of fact I have been reading about it for the last few hours but haven't seen anything as to why people are sticking with certain tires.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Dang,,,, what a way to make friends!:green_lol:

But, back to the topic. I think the General Altimax is discontinued but notice the "think",,,, could be wrong.

There are definately some 205/50s that fit and work better than others. I've seen one 205 that was huge for a 205 and really wouldn't fit well. Can't remember the brand though.:confused:

If you are going in blind and are using a tire that you have seen nothing writted about:mrgreen:,,,,,, take a peak at the bead area and if that tire has a very pronounced rim protector molded in, stay away!:fineprint:

I'm gonna try RanyO's General Artic somethingamanothers next time. Basically a snow tire. He and others have rated them as being a good option.

BTW, I used a 205/55 to gain a bit more height in the rear. Just an option.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang,,,, what a way to make friends!:green_lol:

But, back to the topic. I think the General Altimax is discontinued but notice the "think",,,, could be wrong.

There are definately some 205/50s that fit and work better than others. I've seen one 205 that was huge for a 205 and really wouldn't fit well. Can't remember the brand though.:confused:

If you are going in blind and are using a tire that you have seen nothing writted about:mrgreen:,,,,,, take a peak at the bead area and if that tire has a very pronounced rim protector molded in, stay away!:fineprint:

I'm gonna try RanyO's General Artic somethingamanothers next time. Basically a snow tire. He and others have rated them as being a good option.

BTW, I used a 205/55 to gain a bit more height in the rear. Just an option.
Thanks for the reply!!!!

I may try the arctics if I can find them. I have the altimax HP on a car and they have been great but would hate to spend the money and not have them work.

·
Registered
104 Posts
For what its worth, 205/50/17 is stock tire size for 03-05 Dodge SRT-4's (might help with searches).
Id know, just look at my user name lol :fineprint:

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
Not intentionally smart assed, lots of folks want a direct answer to an oft asked question and I've found that little box to be my friend in the search for truth, justice and the American way.
There is another replay in a Dark Side thread active today. That's why I suggested the search.
Some folks have no sense of humor at all and have never played with the language.
Maybe PM some of the responders to the Dark side threads and find the ideal tire for you. I know Vegashotwheeler is a user.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not intentionally smart assed, lots of folks want a direct answer to an oft asked question and I've found that little box to be my friend in the search for truth, justice and the American way.
There is another replay in a Dark Side thread active today. That's why I suggested the search.
Some folks have no sense of humor at all and have never played with the language.
Maybe PM some of the responders to the Dark side threads and find the ideal tire for you. I know Vegashotwheeler is a user.
Thanks for the info I have sent a couple people pm's but the sent pm's are not showing up in my sent folder. Not real sure if they are getting them or not. Sorry if I mistaken your response as being smart assish and please forgive my smart ass comment as well. I am here for the same reason as others..... to learn. Thanks for the replies so far.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
Don't sweat the small stuff. I come across as a weird-o anyway.
I find that when I use that google box I can read until my eyes are sore.
TMI is seems sometimes.

·
Administrator
16,811 Posts
There are some pretty good threads available on the forum for you that would no doubt help with your decision......although I am totally against a car tire on a motorcycle.:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I tried it on my wee late last year. I used the toyo m+s tire in the size you mentioned. The tire went on the rim without a problem, although, when I first looked at it I thought No Way! Once mounted on the rim, it went on the bike without any problem, except, the clearance between the chain and sidewall is literally 1/8th inch ( or less!! ). In the end, I felt nervous about the close clearance between the chain and tire, so I took it off and went with some cheap Shinko 805's.

I bought the car tire at Les Schwaab and made sure I could return it. I also contacted my local bike shop to see if they would even mount it for me. They would ) and what they charge. ( $30 dollars )

You can message me for more info. if you want, but I am no expert on any of this stuff. I just read all the threads on here and tried it.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I'm running a 205/50/17, cant remember brand but its not available anymore.
I got the last one Discount Tire had in their system.
I like it and put and 500 miles on it yesterday riding in some real crappy wind and drifting snow and ice in one part of my trip.
I think the wide foot print of the 205 helped through the ice and slush:thumbup:
Have it mated up to a Shinko 705 front.
Mounted there is not a lot of room by the chain but it fit and nothing rubs in the over 6000 miles I have on the tire now.
I will just say this is not for everyone, but it suits the test I was doing.
This configuration will get me to Alaska and back!
I'm running 5000+ miles in June and will be on this same tire.
I mounted it myself as no one would touch it.
Some tire spoons and a milk crate with a 3rd hand from a buddy.
I did find that keeping the tire centered in the rim well was easier using my knees and body weight and it went on easier then getting the bike tire off.
I say go for it, but be prepared to take it off and mount your other tire if it doesn't suit your riding style.
This bike (DL1000) I have built for long distance highway trips and have my Dl650 setup to do daily commute and play.
If you wanna fly out to Vegas I'll let ya take it for a spin:yesnod:
Mike

·
Registered
168 Posts
I spent way more time thinking about this than I should have over the last year and I found that the Tire Rack site has weights and cross-section widths for all of the tires that they sell. I also remember reading a post that cautioned against mounting car tires with a cross-section width greater than 8.2 inches on a VStrom, although I can't remember the site or the author.

If I were going to mount a car tire on a VStrom I'd also consider adapting a 17 x 3.5" wheel to the front in order to mount a wider cruiser-profile front tire. My thinking, based solely upon conjecture, is that you'd get the front and rear tire widths and profiles closer to one-another, which might counteract the "different" handling that many Darksiders have noted. Might they have experienced the same kind of "different" handling with, say, an SV1000 rear wheel wearing a 180 or 190 cruiser tire and the stock 19x2.5 wheel and 110 tire up front? I dunno'. I'm tempted to try the comparison once I finish with my own DL1000 wide wheel transplant.

Good luck and keep us informed - empirically derived knowledge is a good thing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
On a side note, you have to go into your message settings and change something to get it to keep track of sent messages. I dont remember what to change specifically, but its very inconvenient if youre not aware that you have to change it... :thumbdown:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm running a 205/50/17, cant remember brand but its not available anymore.
I got the last one Discount Tire had in their system.
I like it and put and 500 miles on it yesterday riding in some real crappy wind and drifting snow and ice in one part of my trip.
I think the wide foot print of the 205 helped through the ice and slush:thumbup:
Have it mated up to a Shinko 705 front.
Mounted there is not a lot of room by the chain but it fit and nothing rubs in the over 6000 miles I have on the tire now.
I will just say this is not for everyone, but it suits the test I was doing.
This configuration will get me to Alaska and back!
I'm running 5000+ miles in June and will be on this same tire.
I mounted it myself as no one would touch it.
Some tire spoons and a milk crate with a 3rd hand from a buddy.
I did find that keeping the tire centered in the rim well was easier using my knees and body weight and it went on easier then getting the bike tire off.
I say go for it, but be prepared to take it off and mount your other tire if it doesn't suit your riding style.
This bike (DL1000) I have built for long distance highway trips and have my Dl650 setup to do daily commute and play.
If you wanna fly out to Vegas I'll let ya take it for a spin:yesnod:
Mike
Thanks for all of the replies!!! I am going to bite the bullet and purchase a tire by the end of the week. I wonder what I can sell my set / front and rear new Anakee 2 tires for? I hear they are a good tire but they are too aggressive for me since I will never be going offroad. Wow, you have a vee and a wee? You must really love them. I like mine but dont LOVE it yet. I still need to get it to the point that I can ride it for longer than 30 minutes without my back hurting. I come from a Harley Ultra Classic so this is a majior change for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Notacop..I've been reading your posts for a while and just because you have 4000+ posts doesn't give you the right to be a smarta$$ (which I'm sure you think you're licensed/entitled with 4000+ posts). Lets face it, you were a smarta$$ to the guy. No, it's people like you that don't have a sense of humor..you can give a joke but you can't take it..you get your panties all up in a wad when someone comes back at you. I'm sure you'll have something witty to say after this post..which only proves my point.

·
Administrator
16,811 Posts
Says the noob who registered Nov 2013. ;) Yup.....I am a longtime forum smartass as well, and there in fact some really good threads already here on this exact subject. Nothing wrong with a good smart ass or two on the forum, we keep things from getting too stale. Carry on..............

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Once you get your bike dialed in you will in my opinion love it.
Mine are setup different but the same:confused:
Ive got the rider area setup with same risers (3.5 inch Rox) same bars 9Protaper ATV Hi) , same seat (Corbin), foot peg setup (Richland Rick lowering kit with SW Motech pegs) mirrors (Aprilia), Heated Grips (Oxfords), Superbraces, Powermadd hand guards and Givi Windshield.
Now the different, 650 is all Ricor Suspension, Full Shinko setup for tires, scrap plate and crash bars to occasionally a dirt road.
1000 is setup for long highway runs with Gold Valves front and heavier springs, crashbars just cuz I have a bad habit of letting it nap and the Shinko front with 205/50/17 General Exclaim UHP on the back.
Audiovox Cruise control is an awesome extra on my 1000 as I try to wear out that back tire.
Ive got about 6000 miles on the rear now and don't think Ive gotten near its half life yet!
I'm planning a 5000+ trip in June and this will be a great test with the constant drone of the highway miles.
If your having back pains after riding, what risers are you using?
I got the 3.5's so I have a straight posture while riding.
I also have back problems and find on some long rides a back support belt helps me keep that posture, you get tired and start to slouch and it acts up.
My input is try the Darkside but have an option to go to if you don't like it!
If the Anakees aren't what you want and you need to keep the expenses down, Im happy with the Shinko 705's and seems some guys are doing well with I think is the 712.
If money is not an option I'm a fan of the Conti Trailattacks!
Shoot me a PM if I can help you with anything else.
Mike

Thanks for all of the replies!!! I am going to bite the bullet and purchase a tire by the end of the week. I wonder what I can sell my set / front and rear new Anakee 2 tires for? I hear they are a good tire but they are too aggressive for me since I will never be going offroad. Wow, you have a vee and a wee? You must really love them. I like mine but dont LOVE it yet. I still need to get it to the point that I can ride it for longer than 30 minutes without my back hurting. I come from a Harley Ultra Classic so this is a majior change for me.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts