StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anybody says anything this is NOT a thread about weather or not to go darkside I have and love it !!.
What I want to know is what tires others are useing??.I'm planning a trip to Dead Horse next summer which will have ALOT of dirt/gravel riding and wonder what tire I should run.I also do alot of freeway AND dirt road riding so a good mixed terrain tire is what I'm looking for.I have been useing a General and it works well BUT maybe there is something better ??.

·
Registered
22,312 Posts
.I have been useing a General and it works well BUT maybe there is something better ??.
which General, Exclaim UHP ?

I'm running the General Altimax Arctic, about 18k miles so far, tread depth is at about 50% works better in gravel, mud, snow/slush than the Karoos or TKCs I've been running in front. 40% or more of my riding is gravel roads

price point is good, I paid $110

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the exclaim UHP.I am running a MC tire now but when it's gone I will go back over to the darkside.Randy,Do you think your winter tread would last with a 90-10 mix of pavement/dirt???.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
22,312 Posts
,Do you think your winter tread would last with a 90-10 mix of pavement/dirt???.
easily, even though tread is soft (lot of sipes and deep tread) its not melting away in summer like it might on a cage, and I'm loaded fairly heavy all the time (my 300lb lard ass when geared up + another 75lbs of equipment I regularly carry) and add another 200 then I ride 2up (glad I resprung and put the WP shock in back:beatnik:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Before anybody says anything this is NOT a thread about weather or not to go darkside I have and love it !!.
What I want to know is what tires others are useing??.I'm planning a trip to Dead Horse next summer which will have ALOT of dirt/gravel riding and wonder what tire I should run.I also do alot of freeway AND dirt road riding so a good mixed terrain tire is what I'm looking for.I have been useing a General and it works well BUT maybe there is something better ??.
Haven't tried it myself - yet. But several others on here are running Achilles 205/50/17 $78.95. I have it ordered for mine. So maybe search on Achilles to get the posts about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Haven't tried it myself - yet. But several others on here are running Achilles 205/50/17 $78.95. I have it ordered for mine. So maybe search on Achilles to get the posts about it.
Yes..I have about 3000 on my Achilles 205/50/17 and RobW has about 7000 on the same tire. Quentin had 10,000 on the same brand but it was a 205/55/17. Now he runs a same brand 205/45 may have 4-5000. All of us have been pleased with its highway use. Adjusting tire pressure to 34# seems to work best for me. Off road or highways.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Just picked up my replacement

General Exclaim UHP... 205/50/17..... last one was a "55" (see pic) but this one was on sale....

the one in the pic is done now, 42,000 km's of savage beatings over rocks, mud, pavement and cement...

replacement cost 124 canadian dollars.... will be putting it on this week....

:thumbup:

for the record, I have never ground the chicken strips off a front tire before I put this on the back.... current trail wing is wearing right to the edge of the tread, the bike corners like it is on rails...

I will never buy another motorcycle rear for this ever again....

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yes the exclaim UHP.I am running a MC tire now but when it's gone I will go back over to the darkside.Randy,Do you think your winter tread would last with a 90-10 mix of pavement/dirt???.

A co-worker is running the Snow tire like Randy's, it seems to be holding up fairly well on his Wee, despite the fact he is trying to spin it down to the wearbars....

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a UHP before but I only had about 5,000 miles on it when i took it off ( it still looked like new ).I bought it from Tire Rack for $69.00 !!!.It was the best rain tire I have ever had,I could STAND on the rear brake and NOT lock it up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
General Exclaim UHP... 205/50/17..... last one was a "55" (see pic) but this one was on sale....

the one in the pic is done now, 42,000 km's of savage beatings over rocks, mud, pavement and cement...
Grypnon51, I have been looking at the General tire website and the tread pattern of the tire pic you posted above does not match the tread pattern of the ones available by the same name. Has General changed the tread pattern or is it possible you mis-identified the one you posted? I ask cuz what you have shown in your pic is what I'd like to buy. Can you confirm the model name and suffix? Thanks

Actually, I just went to the HD version of your pic and it is indeed an Exclaim UHD. It must no longer be offered in that tread pattern.

Ian

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
RandyO, you appear to have a ton of experience with the CT issue, and have a pretty unbiased opinion of it. Do you have any recommendations on a particular front tire that goes well with the darkside? I've seen comments on various threads that there are sometimes compatibility issues in the way the front and rear tire track with each other. I have a stock Trailwing on my front at the moment, and pretty much all of my riding is on the street. Have you found any particular front tires that work well, or any that you would definitely avoid?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Are the CT,s your using Run Flats or regular Bias Ply tires? I always used a R/F on the Goldwing.

·
Registered
48 Posts

replacement cost 124 canadian dollars.... will be putting it on this week....

:thumbup:

for the record, I have never ground the chicken strips off a front tire before I put this on the back.... current trail wing is wearing right to the edge of the tread, the bike corners like it is on rails...

I will never buy another motorcycle rear for this ever again....
wow a car tire on a bike -- :jawdrop:

·
Registered
22,312 Posts
RandyO, you appear to have a ton of experience with the CT issue, and have a pretty unbiased opinion of it. Do you have any recommendations on a particular front tire that goes well with the darkside? I've seen comments on various threads that there are sometimes compatibility issues in the way the front and rear tire track with each other. I have a stock Trailwing on my front at the moment, and pretty much all of my riding is on the street. Have you found any particular front tires that work well, or any that you would definitely avoid?
I'm running a Tourance now, haven't got many miles on it, no issues so far, its the first non knobby front since I've been running a CT in back

In winter, I run a studded Karoo T, obviously, speeds are lower, no issues, I did run an unstudded Karoo T I would not recommend if you like to speed and especially pass trucks or busses at high speeds, I had a couple of oh sh!t moments that almost turned into true tank slappers while I was passing thru the wake under full throttle acceleration. The Altimax Arctic/Karoo T combination is great on gravel roads under 60mph and moderate acceleration

·
Registered
22,312 Posts

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I'm running a Tourance now, haven't got many miles on it, no issues so far, its the first non knobby front since I've been running a CT in back

In winter, I run a studded Karoo T, obviously, speeds are lower, no issues, I did run an unstudded Karoo T I would not recommend if you like to speed and especially pass trucks or busses at high speeds, I had a couple of oh sh!t moments that almost turned into true tank slappers while I was passing thru the wake under full throttle acceleration. The Altimax Arctic/Karoo T combination is great on gravel roads under 60mph and moderate acceleration
Thanks RandyO. I doubt if I'd ever run a knobby on the front, since I don't have a lot of off road plans. My biggest interest in the whole darkside thing is getting some sort of decent longevity out of a rear tire; going through two or three rear tires a year is a drag, and I'll certainly entertain any safe solutions to that....

·
Registered
22,312 Posts
1 - 20 of 87 Posts