StromTrooper banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,609 Posts
That's absolutely mad! And yes, it looks amazing. Better than I thought it could possibly turn out:

I'll save the rest of y'all some searching:

I don't think he ever got as far as selling mod kits - it's likely a niche appeal. But it would sure be satisfying to be able to swap out a common automotive alternator, vs. screw around with stator rewinding (and that pesky cover gasket).

·
Registered
21,983 Posts
That's absolutely mad! And yes, it looks amazing. Better than I thought it could possibly turn out:

I'll save the rest of y'all some searching:

I don't think he ever got as far as selling mod kits - it's likely a niche appeal. But it would sure be satisfying to be able to swap out a common automotive alternator, vs. screw around with stator rewinding (and that pesky cover gasket).
Terry sold me his prototype, gosh, 5 years ago ? I still don't have it completely up and running, Terry had it setup on his Vee, as a replacement charging system, and removed the stock charging system. I am setting it up as an auxiliary charging system with its own battery, only connections to bikes electrical system will be common ground and a relay. I converted my dual exhaust to single to make room for auxiliary battery box, that is the point I am at now, fabricating the battery box, the alternator, crankshaft extension, are already installed

I got slowed down on this project with medical issues, (a seizure disorder side affect of Lyme) finally under control, I couldn't drive or ride for 2½ years when I was changing medications and dosage.

currently I have a Thrush Cherry Bomb, it's within the legal sound limits, but barely, by only 1-2 db at idle, and is louder than I want, still looking for a muffler with the sound I want

here's the alternator installed, my auxiliary battery is gonna be an Optima Yellow Top DS46B24R, (a Prius engine starting battery) chosen for it's narrow 5"width

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,609 Posts
No question of having enough to go around for heated gear is there?

Not surprised the aux battery mounting is taking some time. From what I've seen, mounting solutions can compromise a majority of the effort of any given project. I still don't use my Rotopax gas jug very often for example, because I need to make something to carry it the way I want.

Rerouting the exhaust seems challenging. Did you use the newer Vees as a guide? I seem to recall that Suzi switched to a single exhaust for the Vee at some point (maybe the post-2012 models).

Glad you're doing better, awesome project!

·
Registered
21,983 Posts
No question of having enough to go around for heated gear is there?

Not surprised the aux battery mounting is taking some time. From what I've seen, mounting solutions can compromise a majority of the effort of any given project. I still don't use my Rotopax gas jug very often for example, because I need to make something to carry it the way I want.

Rerouting the exhaust seems challenging. Did you use the newer Vees as a guide? I seem to recall that Suzi switched to a single exhaust for the Vee at some point (maybe the post-2012 models).

Glad you're doing better, awesome project!
my mounting issues are chearance from swingarm travel, gonna have to bump the top of the battery up into the tail, my battery is 9" tall, but it's a gell battery. so it doesn't need to be mounted vertical, I may take the easy way out and just mount it along with all my auxiliary electrics, horizontal on my luggage rack

exhaust was easy, bought a spare H pipe on ebay, took it to a local fabricator

61 - 66 of 66 Posts