StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i decided to tempt fate and install a larger tire this time. Don't know if that made me fall to the dark side or not?

There is no big noticeable difference in regular riding (maybe a little smoother?), the bike leans really easily in twisties, quick transitions aren't a problem with this one. If anything i'd say i lean a little more than i usually do in some familiar corners. I would like to say larger sticks more, but i'm pretty sure it's the tire's compound and the fact i don't ride the sidewall anymore.

I bought a Pirelli Angel GT 170-60-17, since they weren't releasing the II before the end of the month... maybe.
(they had pushed the available date twice already)

Will it last me 20000kms? Time will tell.
Does it perform well at higher speeds? Hell yes!

Here's a pic, there's still space between the tire and the swing arm, but not as much anymore ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
No Darksiders here... it's still a proper tire for the job. I really can't stand the arguments for using car tires on motorcycles...must be my track riding roots. Report back on wear and miles please!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Darksiders here... it's still a proper tire for the job. I really can't stand the arguments for using car tires on motorcycles...must be my track riding roots. Report back on wear and miles please!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Well, the DS comment was more about the width of the tire, hehe 0:)

Will post update(s) here as time goes!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
No the additional width does not count. I ran a ME880 oversize (160/70-17) on my WEE and it performed very well. It died prematurely on the interstate coming back from Colorado with a major blowout puncture.

Darkside is CT. I tied a Pirelli snow tire 195/55-17 last year but the result was disappointing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Interested to see what mileage you get out of these. On my TDM900 the sides were gone at 3000 kms but they were fun kms. Contemplated putting them on my '14 DL1000A but opted for Pirelli Trail IIs which I fitted and balanced yesterday.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interested to see what mileage you get out of these. On my TDM900 the sides were gone at 3000 kms but they were fun kms. Contemplated putting them on my '14 DL1000A but opted for Pirelli Trail IIs which I fitted and balanced yesterday.
You completely used the sides in 3000kms, were you on a race track? :confused:

·
Registered
2,745 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
21,984 Posts
You can lean big time with a CT. It has a huge contact patch. The sidewalls do flex!

My issue was that it squared off (which is very counterintuitive) and did not even last as long as my Tourance.

one of the things I do like about the darkside, is that with the heavy tire, its easier to get your ass off the seat without upsetting the suspension, and not have to lean so much, especially important in winter on snow & ice conditions

next CT for me will be a run flat. regular radial CTs have sidewalls that are too flexible IMHO, the contact patch moves all over the place at lower speeds, till centrifugal force takes over and stiffens the tire

·
Registered
925 Posts
The photo of the 170 tire doesn't look too big, and to be fair it is only 20mm wider than the 150 stock size. Still, it is a bit larger than recommended for the rim, so will be pinched a little. If it handles OK I wouldn't sweat it.
As for the car tire issue, I'm not going to preach or criticize, many have done it with no problems. My problem with it is that the bead area for car vs. motorcycle is different, so technically it does not fit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts