StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have close to 35k on my rear tire now, still plenty of tread when considering minimum legal tread. probably still deeper than some bike tires are new(5/32±), but last week, I locked my rear for the first time with a CT

looking across the tread, it's the most evenly worn rear tire I've ever had on a bike, tread depth is the same all the way across the tread, no scalloping

of course I want another, but my plan is still to get a second wheel

for winter riding, a motorcycle tire doesn't even come close to the capabilities of a car tire

for most street riding, slight differences,

and off road (not off pavement, real single track) the CT does suck, the wider contact patch catches unevenness on one edge of the tire and throws you off balance, but the big pig Vee sucks off road to begin with

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
IIRC, that's a winter-specific car tire, so it's pretty normal for those to wear out very quickly in "normal" use.

Thanks for posting your info and experiences! :hurray:

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I really appreciate your posts on this subject, Randyo. It's good to be able to read about real world experiences with this, without all they hysteria and hyperbole. Thanks again.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IIRC, that's a winter-specific car tire, so it's pretty normal for those to wear out very quickly in "normal" use.

Thanks for posting your info and experiences! :hurray:
On a cage, I generally get 1 winter from a true winter tire like this, I've tried getting a second season, but they don't grip like they did the first season, so I usually just burn em up by keeping them on thru the spring, doesn't take long on a cage once weather gets warm

the lighter weight of the bike obviously doesn't heat the tire as much it's gripped good for me 3 winters on the bike and never came off for the summer, it'll be 3 full years old in a month and I think its still got life left as a summer tire

but I'll have to get used to 75/25 front/rear braking ratio again. I have been braking as hard with the rear as the front

looks like I am beginning to lose some of the sipes

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Does the chain rub at all on the tire? I've used C/T's on my Goldwing & loved it. Am considering trying a C/T on the glee. Is there a popular brand of tire being used by strommers? Just fishing for any info I can find. Thanks in advance,,,, JC

·
Registered
503 Posts
What does that thing feel like around corners?

I would consider one for my TW200 for the winter but I would be worried about out running the capability of the front.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the chain rub at all on the tire? I've used C/T's on my Goldwing & loved it. Am considering trying a C/T on the glee. Is there a popular brand of tire being used by strommers? Just fishing for any info I can find. Thanks in advance,,,, JC
its close enuf that if I push on the chain, I can make it touch the radial bulge in the sidewall, and when I had a real worn out chain (45k miles) in right handers leaned over I heard is rub a few times, but never with proper tension on the chain

I know its been done on Vees & Wees, not sure about the Glee

I'm running a General Altimax Arctic 205/50-17 I know others have run the General Exclaim UHP in both a 205/55-17 or 205/50-17, but I have heard the Exclaim UHP has been replaced, not sure if the replacement fits, the amount of chain clearance is less than the size variance in different model and manufacturers tire molds

when I first considered a car tire, my thoughts were for winter only, an experiment, I really wanted the best possible winter tire IMHO a studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta but the cost was prohibitive as a gamble, I looked for the cheapest possible winter tire I could find and found the General, to my surprise, I think its real close to the Hakk and such a good deal at less than half the cost, even without studs on the back (I run studded Karoo T knobby in front during winter) It opened a whole new world of winter riding, I grew up with snowy winters, first learned to drive in the winter time, I've always enjoyed driving in snow, now on a motorcycle, especially at night, its relaxing, probably because it requires all your attention, can you tell, I'm Jonesin for winter

·
Registered
503 Posts
Thats very cool. I will be riding my TW200 all winter for commuting. I was thinking of siping the tires on it with the hope of better traction.

How does the studded front work out on dry pavement?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Randyo, thanks for the pics....worth a thousand words! As Richw said, it appears to be very even tread wear. I would have suspected much more rounding on the edges.

·
$tromtrooper [belated]
120 Posts
Randyo, what psi are you running in the Altimax?

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
35 Posts
WOW! And i though i was crazy...How does the profile on the tire handle lean angle? A car tire is not rounded and designed to lean over, so how does it feel and more important how far can you lean?

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WOW! And i though i was crazy...How does the profile on the tire handle lean angle? A car tire is not rounded and designed to lean over, so how does it feel and more important how far can you lean?
it feels just like a MC tire at speed, (but not at parking lot speeds)

just like a MC tire, I can lean till the pegs scrape, its a radial tire, sidewalls flex to keep approx 50% of the tread as contact patch, no matter what lean angle, I always have more contact patch than a MC tire can possibly provide

·
Registered
35 Posts
it feels just like a MC tire at speed, (but not at parking lot speeds)

just like a MC tire, I can lean till the pegs scrape, its a radial tire, sidewalls flex to keep approx 50% of the tread as contact patch, no matter what lean angle, I always have more contact patch than a MC tire can possibly provide
I assume you are using a stock rim off the 650 what size is that tire, I might just have to try this!

·
Registered
134 Posts
RandyO - What makes the Altima Arctic and the Exclaim UHP more desirable than other brands? Is it strictly that you wanted a winter type tire to try, or is there some other reason.

Would any old CT in the proper size work?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts