StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on a General Artic Altimax 205 50 17 as recommended by many others on my 2011 ABS wee. I did not check for chain clearance after the mechanic installed it. The chain has chewed into the sidewall of the tire and still rubs. What went wrong? Is there another size I should have chosen?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I saw a post some time ago and I do recall them using 195's not 205. I have to say I was surprised to see video showing how effective a proper size car tyre behaved. It was totally different ( better) to what I had supposed. There are plenty who will dismiss it but I think it could have real value and be safe. I have heard all the arguments against!

Saturn 5

·
Registered
213 Posts
Never let anybody touch your bike, your case is a good example, those people do not care for what they do, they only care for your money.

Anyway, the clearance is less than I consider as a safe one, about 2-3 mm. To get it, the rear sprocket (the whole rear wheel) has to be properly aligned.
I rode about 30K km on General UHP, the clearance still scares me, but chain never actually touches the tire, and of course my bike saw a "mechanic" the last 5 years ago in a show room.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I saw a post some time ago and I do recall them using 195's not 205. I have to say I was surprised to see video showing how effective a proper size car tyre behaved. It was totally different ( better) to what I had supposed. There are plenty who will dismiss it but I think it could have real value and be safe. I have heard all the arguments against!

Saturn 5
I've ridden three different bikes now with car tires (not my bikes they belong to my dad). Everything works just fine. Takes a bit more effort to get leaned over and a little more to maintain that lean but I can drag hard parts on the bikes I rode with a car tire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AMK... which model/year do you have? My bros 205 50 17 tire fit fine. I am starting to think the bikes with ABS have less room?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the alignment is correct. My bad for not checking the mechanics work. I have never used a mech before but wanted the tire balaced. The tire is just too wide. Too bad, I really liked it otherwiase.

·
Registered
213 Posts
UHP exclaim 205/55/17, should be wider than 205/50/17. Clears as I said. No abs K7. As far as I know, swing arms are identical for all abs/no abs models 2007 - 2011. 2004-2006 are shorter but of equal width.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
My 205 General rubbed my chain guard and then the guard got sucked into the sprocket and locked up the rear tire at 60mph.LUCKILY I had the hack mounted to the V and I just bounced down the road a bit till I came to a stop.After that ( with NO chain guard )The tire cleared the chain just fine.:jawdrop:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Mine was very close but never dug into the tire

1 - 15 of 15 Posts