StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I felt the kickstand go over top dead center, and down it went. It was like dominos. Dl1000 hits DRZ, his bicycle, hits wife’s' DRZ, which lands on the lawn mower. Dead lifting this bike was a work out. Good news though; only scratched the handgard, and broke the mirror. No body scratches thank god. DRZs and bikes ok too. Lessons learned: 1. CHECK the kickstand before dismount, (2.) Clean out the Garage, and (3) start working out for future lay-downs. You guys that take the 1000 in the dirt/mud must be gorillas! Doug.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i feel your pain

i was Taking the stickers off mine, while i had it parked behind my garage, the kick stand sunk in the ground and it fell over, partly on me, It broke the Clutch lever. worst yet i had less the 50 miles on the bike at the time!!! Is it just me of does the side stand seem a little short creating a high lean angle?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Being top heavy in addition to the stand doesn't help. I've dropped mine twice trying to manuver it. :oops: I just tell people it's a dual-sport and thats off-road damage! :wink:

D

·
0 Posts
I had my STROM 4 days, went over to my wife's store to run some errands for her. I came back, and she said..... get this.... " That bike of your is A LOT heavier than it looks". I had parked in front of the shipping door, and she tried to move it so she could ship something. Destroyed the turn signal, brake lever, end weight. At least she was OK.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Re: i feel your pain

No it's not just you.......the side stand sucks
Yes it certainly does and to top it off Suzuki doesnt give you a centre stand for when you dont trust the side stand.
Japan must be a wonderfull place,dead level and no soft surfaces where V-Stroms rest comfotably all day long on there side stands and never ever fall over
yer right :x [/quote]

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
That's pretty much the technique I used when mine fell over last week. I had just got to work and was dismounting when I discovered I had not got the side stand all the way down and we fell together in slow motion, my fruitless, off-balance attempt to stop the fall was comical at best. At least no one saw it and I only scratched the hand guard.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mirrors

Since I have to replace the left mirror anyway, do you guys have any replacements that you really like? I read somewhere that someone used KTM mirrors. I am also assuming that I am going to get hosed on the price if I get the OEM mirror.

And yea, I was really glad nobody saw this embarrassing display. It even took me two days to tell my wife.

Thanx, Doug.

C

·
0 Posts
Your problem is obvious, bike was in garage, it belongs on some fine Arizona roads, the type that switches from pavement to dirt. Actually, the bike handles well on hard pack dirt, even with some drop-offs and sand washes. I will be looking for some better front forks if I start getting serious in the dirt.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boy, AZ sounds good. Cleveland Forecast: 7 more days of cold with some more snow. Sunday was a gift from the bike gods, with a high in the 40s.

The DRZ400s is the tool of choice for the dirt. I got the dl1000 for mostly road trips, not that I'm against a nice fire road from time-to-time. I just fell in love with the riding position on this bike, the twin, and ya gotta love the seat (especially compared to the drz). God, I'm nicken' for some road time on the strom...

R

·
0 Posts
I dropped mine of my jack changing oil for the first time. I felt like an idiot and bent the brake lever. Ron Ayers isnt too bad on OEM parts plus they have a microfiche of the bike. Since then I had to lay it down because a lady blew through a red light (insurance paid for new left side), and I wipped out just after repairs on an oily surface in the rain. Almost caught the bike on the way down and didn't bother with cosmetic repairs (just a scratch on the v-strom letters). I drive in NYC and have bothered with detailing the bike or replacing every little thing thats scratched. It's going to happen again and if it looks too nice it might get stollen. I know three Harley owners that have had their bikes swiped so I try to keep it as low profile as possible. I had to get the center stand after the third time it was pushed over parked on the street. So far so good.

L

·
0 Posts
My factory center stand has just gone through trial by fire, and came through great. After reading the rave reviews of Russell seats in this forum, I checked out their website. One of the things they ask you for is a photo of yourself sitting normally on the bike. If you intend to ride two-up, they also want a photo of you and your usual passenger sitting normally on the bike. I'm still debating about ordering a seat, but I figured why not take the photos? So the bike went onto the centerstand, then I plopped onto the bike, then my daughter got on behind me while her boyfriend played photographer. Neither of us is particularly, um, small, so there was nearly 400 pounds on the seat, plus the weight of the bike with a full tank, plus the saddlebags and tail trunk full of camping stuff I had forgotten to remove. I figure we were shy of a half-ton, but not by much. The centerstand was steady as a rock and didn't even whimper. I know people complain that you lose potential cornering clearance with the stock stand, and I'm a conservative old rider, but take a couple yardsticks and check the lean angle it still allows. If you don't have pavement rash on your rims now, my guess is you won't be dragging anything much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts