StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 DL650 and want to mount some Nelson Rigg saddle bags. I've looked at pictures of both the Dan Vesel luggage mount and PMR racks for mounting soft panniers and they both look like a good solution, but does anyone have experience/opinion favoring one over the other? Hope this isn't a topic that's been done to death, but I didn't see any threads dealing with a head-to-head comparison.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
I used Dan's soft luggage support with Nelson Rigg bags, and it worked great. I don't have any experience with the other kind. Dan makes a quality product at a reasonable price; the only reason I don't use it now is that I switched to Happy Trails racks and hard luggage.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I can speak to this, having owned both. The PMR racks are definitely worth the money and are a more robust unit. I removed my Vesel mount and replaced it with the PMR racks once they arrived from eBay. I really enjoy the PMR racks and they provide the necessary setoff space from the muffler. The neoprene pad on my NR CL-850 bags got a little toasted on the right side, and this is what prompted me to buy the PMR racks. I just did not want to take any chances with heat damage to my right bag.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Both were very helpful and much appreciated.
Another benefit of the PMR racks is you have more tie down options. I am not sure if there is any benefit with either for tool tube mounting which Dan Vessel offers as an option.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Relieved to find this thread as I'm trying to make up my mind on the very same question. Thanks all.
Palooka.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I can speak to this, having owned both. The PMR racks are definitely worth the money and are a more robust unit. I removed my Vesel mount and replaced it with the PMR racks once they arrived from eBay. I really enjoy the PMR racks and they provide the necessary setoff space from the muffler. The neoprene pad on my NR CL-850 bags got a little toasted on the right side, and this is what prompted me to buy the PMR racks. I just did not want to take any chances with heat damage to my right bag.
Glad to hear the good review of the PMR racks, because I just ordered a set for the CL850 bags I also just ordered. They certainly are a reasonably priced set of racks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
PMR Rack

Love my PMR racks. I use them to keep my Giant Loop Great Basin Bag from rubbing against the bike. Great for tying on my tool tube and fly rod. Also protects the rear of the bike if you go down. For the money one of the best farkles I added to my 650.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Loved the PMR racks, high quality, easy to install and sturdy. Used them with some soft saddlebags and worked great. Then switched to some Givi racks and hard luggage.

Now my perfect PMR's are just sitting in my closet . . . after reading this thread I think I'll post them in the For Sale section and let someone else enjoy them.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The combination of the PMR racks and the NR bags protects the rear of the bike, turn signals, etc. if the bike decides to take a little nap. Don't ask me how I know this.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Loved the PMR racks, high quality, easy to install and sturdy. Used them with some soft saddlebags and worked great. Then switched to some Givi racks and hard luggage.

Now my perfect PMR's are just sitting in my closet . . . after reading this thread I think I'll post them in the For Sale section and let someone else enjoy them.
Just posted my PMR racks in the For Sale section . . . thanks. Craig

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Running into an issue mounting the right rack. The rear mounting point uses the muffler mount to secure it, but now I can't get the bolt to take the threads. Shining a flashlight in there, it looks like things don't line up quite right. Anyone have any tips on how to get things lined up?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Can you start the difficult bolt first and then use a pointed tapered punch to align the other holes?
I tried that. I just can't get the rear bolt to go in, and I can't seem to get things to line up properly. I thought maybe there was some trick to doing that. The front bolt goes in just fine. Something shifted, I guess, when I removed the muffler mounting bolt. Grrrrr!

·
Registered
42 Posts
PMR rack

Strompilot,
I had the same problem, would not line up no matter what I did. Then I realized what the problem was, you will laugh over this, but the supplied bolts were to short. It wasn't that I could not get them to line up, but the supplied bolts would not reach the threads. Went to Lowes and got 1/2" longer bolt and presto lined right up on first try.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Strompilot,
I had the same problem, would not line up no matter what I did. Then I realized what the problem was, you will laugh over this, but the supplied bolts were to short. It wasn't that I could not get them to line up, but the supplied bolts would not reach the threads. Went to Lowes and got 1/2" longer bolt and presto lined right up on first try.
I tried that, and they didn't have any bolts long enough. Maybe when I go into Anchorage tomorrow I'll check the Lowe's there. Huh, I never thought that the supplied bolt would be too short!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts