StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since part of the reason behind choosing the V-Strom was to do some touring, one of the first priorities was to set it up with some luggage. I spent some time researching what was available and got a very rude shock. There are some great quality options available, but man are they expensive!

I started researching Pelican rip-off cases but after some consideration, I realised that I neither want nor need hard luggage on the bike permanently. I want the bike as slim and light as possible for commuting so anything I buy has to be easily removable. I think some soft 'throw over' panniers will be ideal for now and more than adequate for our first, short camping trips. If we end up doing lots of serious touring my position may change but I doubt that will happen for some time. So I'm hoping to pull the trigger on a set of Nelson-Rigg CL-850's very soon.

But first the bike needs to be ready to accept them. Just like previous years models, there's nothing to support panniers on the left. That's where Dan Vesel came to the rescue. As the 2012 was yet to be released in the US at the time, we exchanged a number of emails with many measurements and photo so Dan could build a prototype. I'm pleased to say that it bolted straight on and I think it looks a million bucks. I opted for the Agri Tube Luggage Guard since the tube is fairly unobtrusive and affords extra storage options. His page is well worth a look if you own a V-Strom (any year/model), I cannot recommend him highly enough. Both his workmanship and customer service are superb. Dan can be contacted at CHERDAN [at] webtv [dot] net and I'm sure he's also a member here.

The rear end of the rack slips under the plastics on the duck tail and fits over a steel boss that's part of the sub frame (no it doesn't mount to anything plastic). This flexes the plastics slightly but does not put the rear out of alignment or interfere with the seat lock at all. The front end has two holes and simply bolts in-between the passenger footpeg bracket and the frame.

I'll keep the images separate to stop each post getting too big. The following posts show the Agri-Tube Luggage Guard from a number of angles. Installation was a piece of cake, it doesn't interfere with anything on the bike and I think it looks like it was designed to be there from the start.

Psst - I also have one of his prototype switchplates for the cockpit - it looks even better than the one he's made for previous years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pics Yet?

Austrom-
Do you have any pics yet with the CL-850's and the Vesel guard yet?

I am ready to buy this setup as well, but I am concerned that the exhaust shield might not come down far enough to protect the luggage.

Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm afraid I don't yet. The CL-850's took forever to arrive here, only got them last week! I've tried them on the bike once but not had cause to use them yet. My first test fit indicated that they'll be OK. Work best on the 'Luggage Guard' side but fine on the exhaust IMHO (bear in mind I've never used soft luggage before).

Will try and get pics and post them soon.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm looking to get the same setup for my 05 Wee. How do you actually order the Agri-Tube storage tube guard combination. I went to his site, but couldn't find a way to order anything. Also there are no prices listed, how much did the setup cost?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've only ~100 miles with the CL850's attached but have experienced no problems.
So are you using the auxiliary heat shield on the right side of the bike in addition to the Agri-Tube guard on the left? I just got a 2012 Wee, and I would like to use my CL-850 bags on it. I had to use left and right luggage racks on my DR650 in order to mount the bags. I am curious to know if you are not using any guard on the right, are you worried about melting the bag?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
What do you mean by auxiliary heat shield? I have the CL-850's and used them several times on my K7 with the Dan Vesel guard on the left and nothing on the right. The stock muffler shield/guard doesn't get that hot.

·
Registered
360 Posts
What do you mean by auxiliary heat shield? I have the CL-850's and used them several times on my K7 with the Dan Vesel guard on the left and nothing on the right. The stock muffler shield/guard doesn't get that hot.
On Dan Vesel's page, I noted that he sells an auxiliary heat shield for soft luggage mounting. So I was curious if it was required to avoid melting the bags.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I think that is mainly for aftermarket exhaust. All I know is I never had any problems with just the stock heat shield on my K7, and the L2 is similar, the CL-850's have a pretty nice padded mat (haven't melted that either) under the bags, just watch the tie down straps and be sure you don't come back underneath the guard and rest one on the muffler when you tie it all down or strap them to each other. I haven't got around to getting a support yet for my L2, but plan on doing so soon, I have other farkles to do first.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Two thumbs up!

:thumbup:
I ordered the soft luggage guard and Agritube from Dan. Received it in less than a week. Great price, easy install, supremely useful piece of equipment. Plus CherDan are a class act to work with.
I'd post pics, but they would look exactly like the ones on the first page of this thread, even the color of the bike.
One of the best farkle bangs for the buck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For those asking about price

Hi Don. We offer three styles of soft luggage guards for the 2012 DL650.

Standard guard (black or silver) $50.00 + $14.00 shipping in the US.

Agri-tube soft luggage guard (black) with agri tube cannister $61.00 +
$17.00 shipping.

Storage tube soft luggage guard (black) $50.00 + $14.00 shipping.
Additional 4"dia X 12" ID L storage tube $30.00 + $6.00 extra shipping
(storage tube length up to 15" ID available on request)

Optional cable lock for Agri-Tube cannister $10.00 (no additional
shipping when purchased with the Agri-Tube soft luggage guard set)

Optional 2012 DL650 OEM muffler stand off $20.00 (no additional shipping
when purchased with any soft luggage guard).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts