StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fixing to purchase a Dan Vesel Driver backrest for my 05 Wee and was curious if others thought it was a worthwhile investment. It looks like a quality built unit but I am concerned that if I were to lean back on it, it may put me in an awkward position reaching for the bars. Along with the backrest I was leaning toward the Enduro Guardian highway pegs to top it off. Any one used this combination before?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've install Dan's backrest some time ago. At first, I felt vibrations through it that I didn't care for so I've contacted Dan and he suggested to get a sheepskin cover for it (he sells them). I did it and it helped with vibrations. BUT, that wasn't the real problem - the problem was that I was SPOILED with a backrest I have on my Yamaha Venture which is big touring, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT bike!... I was stupid enough to assume that the backrest on a Vstrom will work the same way as a backrest on a Venture. And it doesn't - on a Vstrom you use the backrest as a SUPPORT, occasionally, not all the time. On a Venture (a living room on two wheels) you rest on a backrest all the time and float down the road. On a Vstrom you ride quite more active so you should use the backrest as a rest point from time to time. At least, that's what I do now and it works just fine!... I adjusted mine very close to my back (it's adjustable) so I can still reach the bars.
And you might like some vibrations - after all, it feels like one of those massagers :mrgreen: . But again, I think it's for occasional usage...

About the highway pegs - it looks like you have to have a skid plate to mount them, right? That's a bummer cause I would like to have some highway pegs but I don't have a skid plate nor I have a need for one (no off road for me).

Good luck with it - Dan is a great guy to deal with....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See that's what I am afraid of. I am coming from an ultra classic harley and I am use to the couch so I see what you are saying as for occasional usage. The bike I bought came with the skid plate so I might as well add the pegs to it. I am at a loss for what to do as for the backrest.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I considered a back rest for long trips. I have side boxes and a top box and never had one in the past but what I generally do is put my sleeping bag etc in one of those heavy duty yellow waterproof bags and strap it so it works like a backrest. with the top box it should be that much better for me. Some days on the long trips it is a lifesaver. I have the EnduroGuardian skid plate and highway bars too. These are tough parts. I like them. I don't "offroad" but gravel roads I do a lot of. I wanted the protection as I heard rocks smacking my skid plate on my last bike all the time, even on the road, and the V-Strom has the oil filter sitting there just waiting to be beat up..... But this isn't a skid plate thread....Sorry

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
When I had my Russell seat made, I had them install their backrest. It's fully adjustable, so I've got mine set so that my lower back just barely rests against the backrest pad, but then I can also lean back from time to time to rest fully against it for a short time, just to stretch my back muscles. I'm so used to having back rest after having ridden Gold Wings and other big touring bikes over the past 20++ years that I just can't imagine myself without one.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I had a Dan Vessel backrest and didn't like it, so sold it here last summer. I found that you couldn't do the cruiser Lazy Boy recline on it, and I couldn't get it positioned right. It was either too close and crowding me against the tank, or too far back and I had to stretch to even touch it. It also made getting on/off the bike more difficult. If you ride 2-up, and have a trunk, it's really going to take up a lot of passenger space.

The highway pegs do sound like a good compromise though. With no skid plate, I haven't figured out a good way to do it on my bike that also has GIVI crash bars.

·
Registered
463 Posts

I have the backrest and foot pegs. I love them both. Although I don't have vibrations in the backrest, I do have them in the foot pegs when rpm goes above 5500rpm, although it ain't that bad. I highly recommend the foot pegs in addition to the backrest though, or the above complaints are true. With the pegs, I can kick way back. I do have the Rox Risers leaned back to help with reach. The picture if you zoom in shows the position of the Rox Risers.

·
Registered
159 Posts

I have the backrest and foot pegs. I love them both. Although I don't have vibrations in the backrest, I do have them in the foot pegs when rpm goes above 5500rpm, although it ain't that bad. I highly recommend the foot pegs in addition to the backrest though, or the above complaints are true. With the pegs, I can kick way back. I do have the Rox Risers leaned back to help with reach. The picture if you zoom in shows the position of the Rox Risers.
What bag do you have on the back? My wife doesn't like the bestem box- pushes her too far forward. I like that bag- might work better for her...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I pulled the trigger and bought the backrest and highway pegs last night. I will let y'all know what I think once I get them.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I love my DV backrest and Sargent combo. As mentioned previously, it's not a lazy boy like the couch on my Ultra, but it does provide decent lower back support. I did two 600+ mile days back-to-back last year and don't think I could have done it without the backrest.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the backrest on a 2012, no way I could live without it esp on long trips. Very adjustable, you need to play around with it. You can tilt the back rest to various angles, there are 3 sliding positions as well. Before my back would kill me after a few hours, now i can go all day without the slightest lower back pain. The highway pegs help as well too. Zero vibrations.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it arrives tomorrow morning so I will se how it goes. I have to say that Dan is a great person to deal with and really cares that the customer is satisfied with their purchase. I will let y'all know how it work for me after the weekend due to the rain we have coming.

·
Registered
463 Posts
What bag do you have on the back? My wife doesn't like the bestem box- pushes her too far forward. I like that bag- might work better for her...
I'm on the road, but I remember "Rider" being in the name. I'll report back tonight. But I love the bag and permanently bolted it to the rack.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Does this backrest fit a 650 or is there a backrest available for the 650?

I have a Burgman with a backrest and love it. I want to get a 650 for the gravel roads and camping I like to do.

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts