StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again...yes I did it before... I walked away in the bright sunlight with what I thought was wheel lock. And, once again it was on the parking light position.
All suited up for a great little ride and, you guessed it, dead battery. So now I sit twiddling my thumbs while I bring the charge back up.
In my defense I did make a habit of checking to see the tail light was not on but slipped yesterday. Just wanted to share. Let the name calling begin!:furious:

·
Registered
19 Posts
You're not alone! Done that twice.
Now I don't use the steering lock as it's too easy to got just a bit to far and activate the lock and the lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Most of us have done it but not since I have got real old. I don't take the keys out most the time and try to park where I can see it. I am in the sticks out side a small town. On our old coot trips at least one wants to stay and rest or drink a water with the bikes. When we all go in to eat we take the keys but some one all ways looks to make sure so they make fun of the one that may turn the key wrong.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Stop using the steering lock. They are very easy to defeat. A good yank on the bars will break the tabs.
Easy to say until someone walks away with it. But u r right. Disk lock is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I check that I didn't turn it too far. Then check again. Then check one more time and walk away hoping I didn't.

While it may be easy to defeat, "locks are to keep honest people honest"

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I wonder how many thefts steering locks actually prevent as opposed to just taking out the key. Especially with a V-strom - given how long it takes to sell a used one, I don't see them being prime targets for thieves. Do people actually grab a bike and push it into a truck? It would take several strapping guys to do that. And if someone was that prepared to take your bike, they would know they could just snap the lock.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I didn't leave the parking light on. I left the keys in the ignition, seat lock or luggage more times than I care to think about.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear ya, GW. Same same here. I do live in a rural safe area. Just started locking it.
Went and looked at a Youtub vid of a theft breaking the steering lock. They were Asians stealing a small Asian bike. THAT was easy.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Been looking at purchasing another bike just because. When you peel away the layers, it is shocking how many problems that plague some of the other brands. My '14 1000 has never let me down. I am happy to deal with Suzuki placing the parking light position next to the steering lock, knowing I can count on my bike in almost every other way. >:)

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
I didn't even know there was a Parking Light position. Never used it.
Just tried it, and it worked.
Besides to drain the battery for no reason, in what circumstances does one use that function?
thanks

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I didn't even know there was a Parking Light position. Never used it.
Just tried it, and it worked.
Besides to drain the battery for no reason, in what circumstances does one use that function?
thanks
I was going to ask the same question. Of course my K9-650 doesn't have one. And as far as steering locks, I just went out to my bike and locked the steering to see. First time, and I'm sure the last. I'm like others, leave the key in most of the time.

Reactions: Lrobby99

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
parking lights were invented because in the old days English bikes broke down so there was a need to make them more visible when they were left on the side of the road at night.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
parking lights were invented because in the old days English bikes broke down so there was a need to make them more visible when they were left on the side of the road at night.
Not sure about that one.
I have an old and new English bike, and neither has parking lights.

Reactions: DavidR8

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sure discussions could go on forever about this one. Parking light next to the lock? Should have been the other way. Parking light at all? Ya, I question that. Locking the bike. Still doing it, no good reason. Lesson learned AGAIN!! Being extra careful now. After six hrs of waiting for the charger to say charged I gave up and fired it up at 11.3 volts. Started no problem. Guess I really drained that sucker. This morning I am headed out into a new batch of smoke and another 36 degree C day. Let's call it a long hot summer.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Down here in Kentucky we've got the remnants of Harvey and was 12C this morning, high today I think around 21C (70F).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm sure discussions could go on forever about this one. Parking light next to the lock? Should have been the other way. Parking light at all? Ya, I question that. Locking the bike. Still doing it, no good reason. Lesson learned AGAIN!! Being extra careful now. After six hrs of waiting for the charger to say charged I gave up and fired it up at 11.3 volts. Started no problem. Guess I really drained that sucker. This morning I am headed out into a new batch of smoke and another 36 degree C day. Let's call it a long hot summer.

Hey ToadRide, I see you're in Nelson. I have an aunt there.
Looks like there's a pretty sizeable fire across the lake.
Worst fire season in BC history, over 10,000 hectares on fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:Don't know about 10000. 3100 is what I read. U may be thinking of the Williams Lake area. But here's a pic I caught from my balcony a couple of weeks back. Spectacular volcano like action. Wind went back to westerly and an hour later it was gone. Lotza smoke around here tho.
And I think we better stick to topic.:wink2

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts