StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode my 2012 650 from TX to AK this summer and shot a lot of pics and GoPro footage that will take quite a while to sort through. Anyway, I just put this vid up of the ride north on the Dalton. I rode with a fellow named Clark from Tennessee, whom I met while northbound in Montana. We crossed paths again in Fairbanks and decided to ride the Dalton together. Clark had ridden the road when it was first opened to the public 20yrs ago, so he made a great riding partner. The weather was good going north, so we made it to Deadhorse in 1 day. It rained continuously on the return trip, so the road was muddy the entire way. That was 2 long days I'll never forget! I've been home over a month and am still finding Dalton mud stuck to the motorcycle every time I think I've got it clean.

Part 1. Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPma3DbDI94

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nice video. I also rode it this summer and hit some bad weather. Just watching the muddy road parts makes my heart beat faster.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Enjoyed the video. Two questions...what tires did you use, and what can you tell me about your video mount setup?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Very nice video. I am jealous. Did you ever get the windshield clean?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

The GoPro was mounted on the right chin bar of my HJC modular helmet using the optional stick-on GoPro helmet bracket and the waterproof case. It rode there for nearly 11k miles during the trip with no problems.

I installed Heidenau Scout K60s just before leaving the TX coast. Made it to Deadhorse and back to Fairbanks on them. Replaced the rear there but it probably had enough tread to make the return trip. The front tire is still rolling and has over half it's tread left. They performed well in the conditions up north and proved durable enough to get me there and back. From looking at other adventure type bikes in Canada and AK, they seem to be the tire of choice. My local TX dealer had never heard of them and couldn't get them for me. Not too many ADV types down here.

The Givi windshield did clean up afterward but the trip did leave tons of tiny dings and scratches on it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Really enjoyed this, TeeBee. You captured the spirit of the ride with your music selections really well. Thanks!
A big +1. Usually I have to mute these because some people have very different tastes in music. This was well done, so much so I'll watch it again just for fun.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Great video, thanks for posting.

Cant wait for part 2.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks guys.

The GoPro was mounted on the right chin bar of my HJC modular helmet using the optional stick-on GoPro helmet bracket and the waterproof case. It rode there for nearly 11k miles during the trip with no problems.

I installed Heidenau Scout K60s just before leaving the TX coast. Made it to Deadhorse and back to Fairbanks on them. Replaced the rear there but it probably had enough tread to make the return trip. The front tire is still rolling and has over half it's tread left. They performed well in the conditions up north and proved durable enough to get me there and back. From looking at other adventure type bikes in Canada and AK, they seem to be the tire of choice. My local TX dealer had never heard of them and couldn't get them for me. Not too many ADV types down here.

The Givi windshield did clean up afterward but the trip did leave tons of tiny dings and scratches on it.

Did the heidenau fit without any modifications to the front fender? It looks like very limited space there and just wondering with mud in the knobbies if the fender would create any problems? Of just put them on like any other tire..
Thanks..

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had no problems with the Heidenau's on my '12 wee.. Great tires on or off road.. Montana, Deadhorse, Keywest and they still had a bunch of tread on them...

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Do to my lack of patience and proper care of my Givi on a recent week long trip, I returned home with a lot of fine scratches. I picked up some of that Novus plastic polish and scratch remover, and it's as good as new now. I was relieved that it did such a good job, because the fine scratches produced a haze when in the right lighting, and was pretty annoying.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Novus polish is on my shopping list.

And yes, the Heidi tires mounted up with no problem. Front fender clearance was only a concern in thick mud, which I wouldn't normally ride in with a V-Strom. The Dalton mud usually flowed between the tire and fender ok but there were some scary moments when the front skidded. I saw GSs and KLRs sliding around as well, though. Overall, the tires were a great choice for the trip.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Youtube says "This Video is Private". :confused: Can you fix that?

Looking forward to part II in the rain and mud. :yesnod:

Thanks,

·
Registered
90 Posts
Working for me now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately, youtube won't allow some videos to play on portable devices. Several of mine, including my Dalton videos, won't play unless on a PC that's hardwired to the web. Possibly due to copyright issues or some such bull. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
These vids were great fun to watch. Thank you.

I love riding up North, but that just looks too extreme for me haha. :yikes:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts