StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just complete what was an easy installation of Dale Walker Holeshots for the DL 1000. The sound is truly a symphony to a V Twin lovers ears. Construction is top notch, as is the hardware. I have purchased Dale's TechLusion TFI, which was a collaborative effort with Doebeck Performance and a technical improvement. Dale tells me that his remap has his DL Strom running very smoothly through the mid range glitch zone. I will be posting results once I get the TFI installed and dialed in.
This DL is one sweet ride and I am glad I did not opt for the GS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
Mooneyes said:
I just complete what was an easy installation of Dale Walker Holeshots for the DL 1000. The sound is truly a symphony to a V Twin lovers ears. Construction is top notch, as is the hardware. I have purchased Dale's TechLusion TFI, which was a collaborative effort with Doebeck Performance and a technical improvement. Dale tells me that his remap has his DL Strom running very smoothly through the mid range glitch zone. I will be posting results once I get the TFI installed and dialed in.
This DL is one sweet ride and I am glad I did not opt for the GS.
I had the Holeshot pipe on my DL650 and it was waaaaaay loud. No way to quiet it down either. I prefer pipes that don't need repacking too. Staintune, Scorpion, Remus all do not need repacking. I think loud pipes are okay on a bike that doesn't see much touring but for me the noise just gets old on longer trips. I'm back to stock and like it much better. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
The DL-1000 is not way loud Rubber down with my slip ons installed. Its not as hard to control as the 650 with one muffler, but it even They are not way loud really like many other pipes out there.


With two 17" street cores i use the DL-1000 they sounds just right really and my customers tell me the same, and as far as re- packing goes, not to worry....... mine last 60 to 80 K miles.

They want you to think it will burn up once a year or less , but thats pipe dream... Ha , if you build it right and use the proper glass.


The advantage of my design is i can re-skin a muffler if its damaged and my mid pipes rotate to alighn the mufflers to match perfectly or very close.


One piece units are just that , one peice and limits any adjustment or repairs if something happens to any part of it.

If it gets damaged its pretty much a throw away


Things move in welding jigs even the best ones


Ive seen plenty that one side was 1/4 higher , they did not reach the header pipes or gaskets all the way and the center stand stop did not line up to well.

One piece allows Zero adjustment so you just live with this.


This is not a flame just what i know about my parts


Cheers Dale





8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
I had a 17" Holeshot pipe on my 1200 Bandit, it sounded good and was top notch quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
I have a HoleShot slip-on muffler installed on my SV650N. 8) To be perfectly honest, I thought the Holeshot wasn't too loud at all. The sound is deep and authoritive, but not loud. The muffler is very neighborhood friendly. The muffler will make a statement under full throttle acceleration though. :wink:
The Dale Walker HoleShot is one quality muffler. I'm going leave the stock muffler on my VStrom though, at least for the time being.
Cheers!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
16,973 Posts
I almost got the Holeshots...they are NOT loud...deep yes...loud NO! You want loud and deep, Leo Vince cans with baffles out!! :shock: I also agree with Dale on the packing not needing redone as often as thought. Kinda like changing the oil/filter IMHO! I doubt that a Vtwin engine will allow packing to last THAT long however. Inline 4's 3's and 6's, don't have the abrupt power pulses of a big twin or single thumper. But...Dale is the manufacturer, he should know! :wink: Most of the exhaust companies use CRAP packing material, I know that Dale and Leo Vince, use the high end expensive stuff. I like oval racing cans, and wasn't really wanting stainless. I HATED the lawnmower, briggs and Stratton, Tecumseh and Kohler sound of the stock cans!!!! Good cans on a Vtwin sport engine...sounds AWESOME!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
If you ask me the stock cans are not *really* quiet either. It's hard to roll through a quiet neighborhood on my thou without feeling like I'm bothering someone even with the stock cans.

With that being said, I could live with the 14 pounds of weight savings and a better sound. I was waiting for the day that the Holeshots were made for the thou. I need to save up some pennies now.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
I rode Dale's 1000 w/twin Holeshot exhausts last week on a big group ride in Yosemite, that bike ran good and sounded GREAT. Sneak peek!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Has anyone done a db test to compare what stock vs holeshots are noise wise? Also how much performance increase and where is it with the holeshots?

EDIT: What is the weight of the stock vs holeshots as well?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
You lose 14 pounds when you go to the Holeshots.



The torque curve is amazingly flat from about 3500 and up. This looks great to me....



BTW, these questions were answered in the above post by Dale himself. I don't know if Dale has measured the noise level of his cans yet, but he probably will and give the answer himself soon....
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
16,973 Posts
I think the Holeshots, are around 96 db?? Not sure about stock cans....just go turn on any lawn tractor, and measure the sound...should be pretty close! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Big B said:
I think the Holeshots, are around 96 db?? Not sure about stock cans....just go turn on any lawn tractor, and measure the sound...should be pretty close! :lol:
I was thinking more along the lines of a sewing machine sound for the stock can (s). :lol:

I'm not saying thats a bad sound. 8) :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
555 Posts
I have the Holeshot on my sixfiddy and it is not loud at all. It is a well made piece that is amazingly light weight. My only "beef" is the sound at idle and lower RPMs, which is rather tinny. My opinion only. But, when you honk on it, it sounds nice and aggressive. I've heard some SV pipes that sound awesome in all the RPM ranges, so it can be done, just not quite there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Hi there

Well some guys will always think any pipe is loud when others will say just right or not loud enough..!

If you want it to be like stock then well you should leave it stock, no pipe will be as quite as the stock choked up mufflers.


Whats nice about my street core mufflers i use on both the DL 650 and 1000 is they will come alive when your on it hard but do a very nice job of being a subtle tone when light on the throttle or at steady cruise.

As gar as DBs, that is a very hard thing to measure and compare a test or have a base line guys.

Go on my site and listen to my drive by vids of the SV-1000 bolt on low mount slip ons. The DL-1000 will sound just like those. There are the same internal componets in the mufflers.

I will be taking some DL-1000 clips this summer also to add to the site

Later this year I may also look into coming up with some optinal stealth inserts in case uncle sam starts a crack down on us.


My packing will last very long and alot of miles. The key is to use good glass and pack it as tight as possible between the core and the outer shell, which we do. If you skimp it will flutter and blow apart and out.

Since the DL-1000 uses to mufflers its only one cylinder per, so its also not hard on it as far as that, and the 650 is much smaller motor so , same deal.


I will try to check back in by Wed.


Im slammed first of the week here


Cheers Dale 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Dale Walker said:
Hi there

Well some guys will always think any pipe is loud when others will say just right or not loud enough..!

If you want it to be like stock then well you should leave it stock, no pipe will be as quite as the stock choked up mufflers.


Whats nice about my street core mufflers i use on both the DL 650 and 1000 is they will come alive when your on it hard but do a very nice job of being a subtle tone when light on the throttle or at steady cruise.

As gar as DBs, that is a very hard thing to measure and compare a test or have a base line guys.

Go on my site and listen to my drive by vids of the SV-1000 bolt on low mount slip ons. The DL-1000 will sound just like those. There are the same internal componets in the mufflers.

I will be taking some DL-1000 clips this summer also to add to the site

Later this year I may also look into coming up with some optinal stealth inserts in case uncle sam starts a crack down on us.


My packing will last very long and alot of miles. The key is to use good glass and pack it as tight as possible between the core and the outer shell, which we do. If you skimp it will flutter and blow apart and out.

Since the DL-1000 uses to mufflers its only one cylinder per, so its also not hard on it as far as that, and the 650 is much smaller motor so , same deal.


I will try to check back in by Wed.


Im slammed first of the week here


Cheers Dale 8)
Thanks for the feedback. The reason I was wondering about db numbers is because like you said, everyone is diffrent and the numbers would give me an idea how loud it is, but I understand your point.

I would like to eventually put some aftermarket cans on for that deep rumble, but am not a fan of loud bikes. I put aftermarket can on my girlfriends buell blast and it really woke it up and made it more driveable, but the loundness it annoying after a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Loud pipes

Hi Ekaphoto

I dont want to over do it on posting, i guess someone complained yesterday , so i wanted to PM you.

I really dont like to loud of pipes myself and ones that wear on you or are a drown out on the road. I can tell you my set with the bike properly tuned and a 16 ooth on the front is not to bad at all.

In fact they sound pretty close to just right

The tune up makes the motor run smoother with less throttle load apllied as does the slighty lower gearing.

Less throttle load means less DBs out the back.

I also have plans later this year to go one step further with inserts that can bolt in the tips to make them even more stealthy if desired.

Ride safe

Dale

:wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Dale- How about a sound clip? (I'd take one of a Wee or a 1K) Curious to hear one at idle and load...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Seems my PM made on here....woops !


Dont have a sound clip yet but i will be doing a few new DL-1000 videos in the future Ductostrom


Take a look at my web site and go to my SV-1000 bolt on slip-on video clips


My DL-1000 set sound identical to those pretty much

Same muffler internals and length


Thanks Dale
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
I have had my holeshots for over a year now on my DL650 and I love them! As someone mentioned earlier, the stock pipe sounds like a sewing machine. The holeshots sound like a proper V-twin. Not too loud, but soulful and wonderful. Not tinny at all. If these ever wear out, I'll put the same back on-They sound that good to me, and the bike runs with more power.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top