StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wonder why they moved it to of all places Saudi? couldn't they find a place with worse a worse human rights record?

have followed this event for many years, just wish the mainstream media would give us some better coverage. some new navigation rules may make for some interesting stages.

the YT channel is just "Dakar"

·
Registered
419 Posts
These days motorsport follows the money. It is unfortunate, but I guess the organizers must get enough money from Paris (yeah, I miss the original Paris-Dakar) or, in this case Riyadh, to pay for all the poverty stricken African countries.

Alonso finished day 1 in 11th - VERY respectable.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
572 Posts
I had forgotten it was coming up, so I was pleasantly surprised to find it on my DVR today.

As for the move, I know the reason they moved from Africa to South America was because of safety concerns. In 2008 they actually canceled the race over threats from a terrorist organization. I believe there were starting to be some safety concerns in South America as well, which may have prompted to move to a 'safer' country.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
And no Leigh Diffey! Yippee! I assume if something dramatic happens with the trucks, they'll get more coverage. Since none of the brands seem to have much presence in the US, perhaps we're getting custom coverage. Looks like Saudi will have most of the terrain, if not the elevation, of the South American version. The geopolitics are interesting, first it was too dangerous to run in Africa, now too dangerous to run in South America. Maybe in a few years it will be too dangerous to run in Saudi.

Sounds like there might have been a little finagling by the factory teams on the route books. Hopefully the change will shake up the order a bit.

I liked Alonso's answer. He said fixing the car was just part of the adventure.

·
Registered
230 Posts
There's even a bike racer from the PNW this year! #104, Kyle McCoy, in 69th place overall, as of this writing. (No, I don't know him personally or anything like that.)

·
Registered
572 Posts
In Friday's coverage, I saw that Toby Price lost his rear tire and ended up getting one from his teammate, Andrew Short (who, amazingly, finished the stage on his rim). The thing is, Price is riding a KTM and Short is on a Husquvarna.

While I know Husky is a fully-owned subsidiary of KTM, it seems odd to me that members of the same team would be riding different brands.

Anyone know how that works?

·
Registered
419 Posts
In Friday's coverage, I saw that Toby Price lost his rear tire and ended up getting one from his teammate, Andrew Short (who, amazingly, finished the stage on his rim). The thing is, Price is riding a KTM and Short is on a Husquvarna.

While I know Husky is a fully-owned subsidiary of KTM, it seems odd to me that members of the same team would be riding different brands.

Anyone know how that works?
I don't know how it works. I suspect it is clever marketing. Both brands are highly regarded, so no need to hide the lineage or pretend one is better than the other. This happens in other race series, too. In Formula 1 we have Renault factory team wearing Infiniti badging and Aston Martin Red Bull Racing using Honda engines (but previously used Renault engines branded Infiniti, then had a fight with Renault and marked them Aston Martin). So, branding of both marques (granted, there is no corporate connection between AM & Honda like there is with Renault/Infiniti).

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
572 Posts
I don't know how it works. I suspect it is clever marketing. Both brands are highly regarded, so no need to hide the lineage or pretend one is better than the other. This happens in other race series, too. In Formula 1 we have Renault factory team wearing Infiniti badging and Aston Martin Red Bull Racing using Honda engines (but previously used Renault engines branded Infiniti, then had a fight with Renault and marked them Aston Martin). So, branding of both marques (granted, there is no corporate connection between AM & Honda like there is with Renault/Infiniti).

Cheers,
Glenn
I did a bit of Googling, which just further confused things for me.

According to what I could find, Toby Price is a member of the Red Bull Factory KTM Rally Team. Andrew Short is part of Rockstar Energy Husquvarna Factory Racing. So it would seem, by outward labeling at least, the 2 are sponsored by direct competitors.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Wow, RIP Paulo Gonçalves. I haven’t followed Rally racing that closely, but it sounds like he was loved and respected by everyone who knew him.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Brabec still with a decent overall lead, with a couple more stages to go. Here’s hoping he can win it all, and make history in the process!

·
Registered
230 Posts
And let’s not forget the other Americans racing at the pointy end right now. From someone on ADVRider:
“No USA competitor has ever had an overall win at Dakar. If Ricky or Casey Currie (SSV) take the overall in their category, history will have been made. At the moment, with Ricky's 25min lead and Casey's 46min lead, there is a fair chance they BOTH could take an overall win. That will be simply amazing!!! And don't forget Skyler in 8th, Shorty in 11th, and SSV Austin Jones / Kellon Walch in 6th. This is a ground breaking year for the USA. Fingers crossed for all of them!”

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes yes yesssssss! WOO HOO!! Ricky, Skyler, Andrew, & Kyle (all the Americans who finished in the bikes category this year) :D:D

·
Registered
230 Posts
There was a lot of top-notch photography this year at the Dakar, too. Not to take away from whatever was captured in previous years, it’s just that I didn’t pay as much attention to those as I did to this year.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I've been following the Africa Eco Rally, mostly through the eyes of Lyndon Poskitt. Great coverage, focused on bikes.

Dakar rally has the name, but the eco rally has the right course!

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yep, I’ve been (mostly) following that one, too, and have been watching Lyndon’s videos for a few years now. Have a few episodes to catch up on, though. :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've been following the Africa Eco Rally, mostly through the eyes of Lyndon Poskitt. Great coverage, focused on bikes.

Dakar rally has the name, but the eco rally has the right course!

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
Is it my imagination or is the entire field of Bikes trucks and Cars greatly depleted this year on the Africa Eco ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts