StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2006 DL650 and want to replace the chain and sprockets. How do the D.I.D. kits compare to other kits? D.I.D. claims that the x-ring chains last longer than other type of o-ring chains.

Also, do they use high quality sprockets?

I noticed that Amazon.com offers these kits for about $30 less than some of the bike-parts websites.

·
Registered
99 Posts
DID has a good reputation. I have run them on and off road and can't say I've had a problem, but I'm super lazy when it comes to chain care so I don't get near the time/miles out of my chains as some do! I'll probably replace my DID O-ring with a DID X-ring when that time comes.

Someone else with more experience may have a different viewpoint, though.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I like DID. They seem to be tough. If your sprockets are steel, you should be fine. I think I got mine from The Sprocket Center. I went with Superlite steel sprockets. Good so far.

·
Registered
71 Posts
DID has endless chain for the vstroms.Check to see what the correct number of links is for your year and model. No cutting and riveting is the up side, but the swing arm pivot nut/bolt have to be removed. A special socket is required. However instructions for a home brew socket can be found online, this forum I believe.Not a big job making the tool.If you go the rivet rout a spare,or two, master link maybe a good thing depending on how demanding your riveting standards and skills are.A proper tool should be used for flaring the rivets to the DID spec. Either way it is very doable for most people with care and patience.Cheers Doug

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies!

Thanks for the replies everyone; I appreciate the useful information. :thumbup:

Hfxoldvolks, why does the swingarm pivot nut/bolt have to be removed? Is that required in order to access the cover over the front sprocket? Thanks for the heads-up, I will try to get one of the special sockets.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The swing arm pivot shaft only has to be removed to install an endless chain, which almost nobody does. Cut the old chain off, rivet the new chain on.

The OE chain is DID. Replacement DID VX or ZVX-M chains will do a great job, as will top chains from, EK, RK, Renthal, JT, and others. On a 1000, 530 width chain and sprockets gives longer life.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone; I appreciate the useful information. :thumbup:

Hfxoldvolks, why does the swingarm pivot nut/bolt have to be removed? Is that required in order to access the cover over the front sprocket? Thanks for the heads-up, I will try to get one of the special sockets.
The swingarm would only need to be pulled for using and endless chain. Since there are no ends you can't "weave" it up through the frame around the countershaft sprocket. A normal chain with a master link you don't need to remove the swingarm. Some people don't like having master links on their chains so theyprefrer endless.

·
Registered
275 Posts
so how do you think they are made endless if not riveted together?

Tom R

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The swingarm would only need to be pulled for using and endless chain. Since there are no ends you can't "weave" it up through the frame around the countershaft sprocket. A normal chain with a master link you don't need to remove the swingarm. Some people don't like having master links on their chains so theyprefrer endless.
Okay, thought so.....thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Mounted mine up today. I bought the Chain Breaker from Harbor Freight...on sale for under $10. It took me a while to figure out how to use it properly, but the chain is all together now and the bike is much quieter.

HF chain breaker;
Heavy Duty Chain Breaker

Screw the handle into the chain breaker, then attach it to the chain link and lay it flat on a hard surface(concrete). Put your foot on the handle then use a 17mm wrench to turn the breaker bolt. Go slow and check your results frequently. The whole sprocket change and chain took me about 2 hours.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use the DID xring and JT combo. They work just fine on my 1000. I also upgraded to the GSXR sprockets and use a 530 chain. Longevity has increased with this combo. Not sure if wee can go bigger?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Cut my old chain in two with a Dremel and a cut-off wheel, took all of 15-20 seconds...:beatnik:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Re...525 vs. 530 chain on a Wee....the Wee doesn't stress the chain much, so there is little benefit from the wider 530 chain, and the performance hit from the heavier chain is more noticeable. (530 chain has the same pitch...distance between rollers...but is wider to spread the load more. Chain and sprocket size much match, 530 sprockets for 530 chain.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts