StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Concerning DL650s specifically.....

I did a couple of searches on this board that didn't turn up any results so I'll pose the question here.

What do YOU know that is available for the DL650?

I understand that the cylinders have some sort of plating, who would one send those to?

Are there any big bore kits available?

If so, who has them and in what sizes?

Can unplated SV bores be used on the DL?

Do you know of anyone that has done this?

Thank you for any info you may have on this subject.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Don't have any info on big bore / plating kits. Why not just go with the Vee.:confused: Wouldn't buy in to the negative comments without giving it a try. :beatnik:

(posted after Heavy, but seems to be a valid point. Just trying to understand your thinking.)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK maybe you need more info.

I am NOT interested in turning a 650 into a litre bike.

I have a 650 that is racking up the miles now and I'd like to freshen up the top end within the next year.

Having heard that the cylinders are plated with some kind of special Suzuki plating I'm not sure what my options are.

Once again I am NOT interested in a 1000!

Any info on the options for a 650 rebuild will be greatly appreciated.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The 650 has iron liners. They can be bored and oversize pistons are even in the parts fiche. Whatever that SCEM coating is, it isn't applied directly to the aluminum if it is really there at all. SCEM isn't in the engine description any more either so it was probably always a mistake.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Blair, an SV650 racer, probably has the most info about uprating the engine. [email protected]

·
Registered
78 Posts
Kinbanjo, it does seem the 650 uses steel liners and the 1000 uses the Suzuki SCEM process (Suzuki composite electro chemical material) Sounds similar to a Nikasil process for the hardened wear surface.
Blair would be a good start to find out if any kits are available. The SV650 seems to be a popular track/race bike.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input. :hurray:

If it's true that the 650 is not plated I may even be able to just hone the bores and put in new rings if measurements are within tolerance....that would be nice.

It has a strange intermittent oil use problem so I wonder if worn and/or a stuck ring may be to blame, like I said before the miles are starting to add up pretty fast......

p.s. If you've rebuilt a DL650 I'd like to hear about it. :fineprint:

links to any write ups would also be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
There is this.....

Zlock Racing

I emailed them awhile back, they state this kit is usable on the Wee as well.

Cheers

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It has a strange intermittent oil use problem
How about some details. If it loses oil on extended high speed runs, especially in hot weather, that's from loss through the breather tubes, not the rings.

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
There is this.....

Zlock Racing

I emailed them awhile back, they state this kit is usable on the Wee as well.

Cheers
That's a very tempting mod. The responsiveness and reliability of a 650 with the power of the 1000 and install new stickers "DL750". Anyone here do this yet and how was the power? What FI change would have to be made? Programmer?

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
The 650 is AFAIK an already bored out 450.

There isn't much to play with before things like main bearings become a problem.

Look on some of the SV racing sites to find out what works without turning into a hand grenade, I'm kinda inclined to agree with the "Buy a 1000" suggestion as the best mod.

Pete

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
How about some details. If it loses oil on extended high speed runs, especially in hot weather, that's from loss through the breather tubes, not the rings.
Not much rhyme or reason to it really....

I check the sight glass before and after every ride and at every gas stop.

Sometimes it's low, sometimes it isn't, irregardless of the temp or type of riding that's been done.

:confused:

edit: but loss through the breather is usually caused by an increase in crankcase pressure that is often caused by blow-by, is it not?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Missed it if posted earlier. How many miles do you have on the Wee? :beatnik:
It's on course to turn over 100k by the end of this riding season.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts