StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace the cylinder heads on my K3 Vee. I have cupped valves from a poorly seated air filter, and I got some replacement used heads off @WildDoktor. I am just swapping the heads, shimming the valves and I should be back on the road.
Two questions:
1. Do I need more than just new head gaskets as far as consumable/must replace parts goes?
2. Suggestions for what I should do while I'm in there? I think this is an annoying big but easy job which I believe requires dropping the motor, so what should I replace while the engine is out? Otherwise the bike is great, the vave issue cropped up at the end of the season last year and was running great otherwise.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Change out the o-rings where the radiator hoses attach to the cylinders. One bolt and just pull them out. Age and heat turn them to goo.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I know I'm not @nvr2old, but I think you're correct, and I've read other members talking about those O rings going bad.
Along with that, what about item #23, that little hose? Might be worth checking that one to see if it needs replacement or not.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am planning to check everything I can while I am in there, at least visually if nothing else. If somethign looks even remotely bad and hard to replace under normal conditions, I will just replace it.

For now I ordered the cyl head gasket and the O-rings along with some other small stuff like the heated grip connector and new stand springs for both the side and center stands. Supposed to ship tomorrow so maybe next weekend I'll dig into it. Doing lots of volunteer work at a shelter right now though so realistically I might not get around to it that quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts