StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw someone mention that they wear padded bicycle shorts under their riding pants, so I figured I'd try it. Might be my best upgrade ever, I can go 4-5 hours before my bum stars getting sore, without them it's 2-3 hours. Just wondered if many riders do this.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I saw someone mention that they wear padded bicycle shorts under their riding pants, so I figured I'd try it. Might be my best upgrade ever, I can go 4-5 hours before my bum stars getting sore, without them it's 2-3 hours. Just wondered if many riders do this.
Can't imagine anything more miserable than wearing them other than wearing them under pants. Back in the day I used to wear them for triathalons, felt like wearing a wet diaper all day. Must not be very warm where you ride?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've never done a long distance ride on my VStrom but absolutely wear chamois bike shorts on my long distance trips on the VFR.
I've made the mistake of wearing underwear on those trips and it left a painful impression! Don't get padded shorts as they're almost as bad as underwear, instead just simple chamois bicycle shorts.

Sent from my Etch a Sketch

·
Registered
817 Posts
Can't imagine anything more miserable than wearing them other than wearing them under pants. Back in the day I used to wear them for triathalons, felt like wearing a wet diaper all day. Must not be very warm where you ride?
Maybe cycling shorts have evolved since you wore them. There are more varieties than you can shake a stick at, for all weather conditions.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I've never done a long distance ride on my VStrom but absolutely wear chamois bike shorts on my long distance trips on the VFR.
I've made the mistake of wearing underwear on those trips and it left a painful impression! Don't get padded shorts as they're almost as bad as underwear, instead just simple chamois bicycle shorts.

I have worn padded versions that I otherwise use for cycling, and I don't think I liked them very much. Presently I just wear thin board shorts type shorts under my riding pants, without underwear. This would be similar to non padded cycling shorts, but my version had the potential of a fold or somethign causing irritation. On long rides, I also hate anything that has a seam along the bottom of my butt cheeks. I used to get saddle sores on every long-ish (2 weeks plus) trip, but since I started just wearing the board shorts underneath my riding pants, things have drastically improved.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just picked some up recently (I started a thread asking about them on the ADV forum recently). Big improvement.

Even the $20 pair I picked up off Amazon is moisture wicking and more comfortable than the alternative. It was 85-90* for most of my four hour ride this past Friday.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Because my long distance trips are in hotter weather from 70-105, that's the temp I use them in. I'll argue they work better in hotter temps because they're moisture wicking.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a pair of motoskiveez that I wear on longer rides. They work for a bit, but I'd not recommend them for all day. Or maybe it's just me. I have a sciatic never flair that gets exacerbated on long rides and I'm not sure if the padding helps or hurts in that case.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I don't find the padding really helps much, sometimes even the opposite. After all, it was meant for sitting on a bicycle seat, not a relatively broad, softly padded motorcycle seat. I find the ones with more padding can bunch up uncomfortably. My old pair with just a thin chamois are more comfortable on the motorcycle.

I've got a pair of unpadded lycra shorts that I've had for years which only have a single seam, right up the middle. Those are my go to for riding. They have a shiny surface which slides around easily inside of whatever I'm wearing them under (usually jeans), reducing binding if my butt gets sweaty (sorry to be explicit, but it is the topic at hand here, lol).

Jeans are also a great source of seams that can become uncomfortable after sitting on them for long enough. On my last long tour last year, I decided it was the edges of the pockets creating uncomfortable pressure points.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unlike a triathlon, I don't start my ride by going for a swim in my shorts. But that's just me.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Unlike a triathlon, I don't start my ride by going for a swim in my shorts. But that's just me.
Doesn't matter - point is that they are uncomfortable when you sweat in them. In a triathalon the lake water is gone 10 minutes into the bike ride.

I just wear regular moisture wicking boxer briefs and typically DTC firehose flex pants or dogs of war pants unless it is cold and I have my over pants on. I can't stand riding in blue jeans. If riding is uncomfortable there are plenty of seat options, although I'd say a Vstrom seat is very comfortable for long rides.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Moto-Skiveez are my go-to for long days. They come in 3 designs Cruiser, Sportbike and "Adventure". Like a bike short, but made for us. Been using mine for 5 years now. My back-up is the older style Cycle Gear spandex "COOL OUT" shorts. Those work well and wash and dry fast for multi day trips.
Moto-Skiveez | Redefining Riding Comfort With Technical Base Layers

·
Administrator
16,973 Posts
Yup I do from time to time, but much prefer under Armor type shorts or long pants.........no cotton drawers ever ladies and gents, it's the enemy when sitting on a saddle or seat.

·
Premium Member
5,010 Posts
MotoSkiveez for me ..I'm 3400 km into a 4k trip and likely could not have done it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts