StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Cycleworld just published a head-to-head comparison of the Beemer, Katoom and Vee. The Strom did quite well and they were impressed with it off road.
I'm not surprised really. Are any of you?
Actually, I am surprised, and pleasantly. I have every confidence in the bike, but I expected the comparison to gouge the Strom pretty good just because it's not one of the big German "true" ADV offroad-oriented bikes, but being more roadster-oriented, it seems kinda like a fish (duck?) out of water being compared to them, as oposed to say, a Super Tenere.

Sounds like it acquitted itself quite well, all things being considered.

AS a side note I now understand why Suzuki, in their truly infinite wisdom, did not equip the bike with a centerstand. It seems that review articles always have to have exactly 3 major bullet points to list as cons or "downs", no more and no less. Had they not been able to the lack of a centerstand on the list, they would have had to go looking for something else and would have found out about the "lurchy" throttle. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed that one of the three plus points was it's bright, dark-piercing headlight. That should help quite some of the negative comments people were making about the bike even before they got their hands on it.
Has anyone who has taken delivery tried the bike at night? How well does the new cyclops eye compare to the previous model or to other bikes that you've ridden?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Great article, thanks for posting...Pretty much sums it up for me to go with the V-Strom. Although the KTM won, where do you take it if it needs service? I'm in Austin TX, a fairly big American city and they have a little rinky dink KTM dealer here that sells mainly used bikes. I sat on one and was asking the salesman about it, he didn't know anything about, plus I didn't like it.Just waiting till my V-Strom SE comes in...

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Interesting article. Contrary to popular belief the Vee has always been able to hold it's own with the heavy weights with some minor fine tuning. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
As I get older, I choose to live by the motto "keep it simple stupid". I just got off my Vee2 and it's second voyage. It is simple and rides great. I found myself focusing on the instrument panel to get familiar with it. I had to be careful not to lose focus on my riding. Personally, I don't need a whole bunch of advanced technology. Abs, traction control and power is fine. I don't ride much off road, and when I do it's hard packed dirt roads. The GS and KTM are just too much bike for me,and at a significantly higher price. And, that's not including maintenance costs. Hats off to anyone buying the Gs or Ktm and loving them- more power to you. I am happy the Vee2 faired well in the comparisons. I am very happy with my choice of the Vee2, and I am sure it will only get better with time.:thumbup:

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
As I get older, I choose to live by the motto "keep it simple stupid". I just got off my Vee2 and it's second voyage. It is simple and rides great. I found myself focusing on the instrument panel to get familiar with it. I had to be careful not to lose focus on my riding. Personally, I don't need a whole bunch of advanced technology. Abs, traction control and power is fine. I don't ride much off road, and when I do it's hard packed dirt roads. The GS and KTM are just too much bike for me,and at a significantly higher price. And, that's not including maintenance costs. Hats off to anyone buying the Gs or Ktm and loving them- more power to you. I am happy the Vee2 faired well in the comparisons. I am very happy with my choice of the Vee2, and I am sure it will only get better with time.:thumbup:
That is a great post!!!!!! :yesnod: Many will love that KTM until it leaves them dead on the road.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice find on the article.

I thought it was well-written and made sense, though maybe a little guilty of over-praising all the bikes. But that's better than needlessly bashing.

If anything, it reinforced what I already thought about the Vee2, which is a wonderful ADV value.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I noticed that one of the three plus points was it's bright, dark-piercing headlight. That should help quite some of the negative comments people were making about the bike even before they got their hands on it.
Has anyone who has taken delivery tried the bike at night? How well does the new cyclops eye compare to the previous model or to other bikes that you've ridden?
I have ridden mine a fair bit the last week at night, great wide angle headlight. B?lows my other bike out of the water.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nice!!

So compared to the other two bikes and according to this review, a $300 centerstand and $300 skid plate eliminates two of the three downsides. Then, just do a big wheelie prior to any dirt riding which apparently deactivates the ABS temporarily (from another review elsewhere), and the bike now has "no downsides".

Nice!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Interesting there's not a peep in that review about reliability history of the three brands. It's the kind of stuff you write if you don't want to piss anyone off.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Interesting there's not a peep in that review about reliability history of the three brands. It's the kind of stuff you write if you don't want to piss anyone off.
Yeah. I used to read bike mags 40 years ago and started again 3 years ago. Still can't rely on them too much to really say it like it is.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Great point. One of reasons I stuck with the Vstrom upon trading in my Wee for a Vee2. If you ever want to feel good about the V:thumbup:, read the journal of the guy on this site who chronicles 300,000 miles on his Vstrom.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Great point. One of reasons I stuck with the Vstrom upon trading in my Wee for a Vee2. If you ever want to feel good about the V:thumbup:, read the journal of the guy on this site who chronicles 300,000 miles on his Vstrom.
You don't need to do that, you can come on here and listen to people crow about it as if it won the comparison instead of being 'a good value.':green_lol:

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Every one of these articles makes me feel like a reformed drunk hanging out in a bar. I swore to myself that I just wanted to be satisfied with the 650, but each time I read one of these articles, it's like a pusher saying "come on, just one taste, it's not addicting....".

I think I need an intervention. Or a new DL1000, one or the other.....

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Every one of these articles makes me feel like a reformed drunk hanging out in a bar. I swore to myself that I just wanted to be satisfied with the 650, but each time I read one of these articles, it's like a pusher saying "come on, just one taste, it's not addicting....".

I think I need an intervention. Or a new DL1000, one or the other.....
Could be worse, at least its not wimmen.:yikes:

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Amen. Bikes are way cheaper in the long run, and they don't take half your stuff with them when they go...

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
CW doesn't seem to like the off idle throttling on the DL. Too abrupt. Same with the front brake on asphalt.

They also said it gets 34-39 MPG. Not very good.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts