Strom Trooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is my understanding that these are, in essence, one in the same company. I would like to know the difference between the two. I'm assuming there was a name change at some point in time. My concern gets to be degradation of protective materials with the passing of time. Is there a date at which the name changed from Cycleport to Motoport? If so, at what date was that? Secondary to those questions is, are my concerns justified regarding fabric degradation over time? I know that is a reality with Cordura and some other protective fabrics. Is it the same for Kevlar mesh fabrics? Thanks in advance for any and all input that can be provided.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,082 Posts
They are the same company.

Same two names floating around well over 10 years ago when I bought my MotoPort gear. I wouldn't worry at all about the names.

Degradation? There are many things that cause that. One is sunlight. But when you think about it riding gear doesn't spend all that many hours in the sun. Unless you cover your bike with it!

Seriously, contact MotoPort with the question about degradation. You will get a answer that rings true.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
^^^

What realshelby said. Very good at communicating with potential customers. Will answer any question you have. I've only had my jacket for a year so can't give you any feedback on how well it will hold up. I'll be getting overpants in the near future as well.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
A friend has an old Motoport suit in red that has faded to tomato soup pink. The UV rays tend to bleach out any colors after a while, even Aerostich suits.
He had it repaired a few times before retiring it. If the fade of the suits indicates any degradation, I'd suggest the fabric can be affected the same way.
Going by what happens to almost anything left in the sun at another friends' desert house, the sun eventually causes everything to rot away.
As for not spending that many hours in the sun...I don't ride that much at night and when you cover a couple hundred thousand miles of day riding that adds up. The suit is fairly well illuminated evenly so the whole thing, other than the butt area gets a fair share of UV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts