StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to start down the path of getting a more comfortable bar configuration. Considered risers, or new bars, or both. I don't really know if I need the bars to come up and back, or just up, or how much/little pullback I need. I have stock bars on now (2007 DL1000)

I have factory Suzuki heated grips on the bike, and swapping bars may compromise the left grip, depending on how much glue the shop used when attaching it. Also, I don't want to have to get longer cables or brake lines right now.

There's a Cycle Gear in town, and I saw these bars on their website. They seem to be similar to the MSR bars I've seen people recommend here. Has anyone used these? What is the "CR Hi Bend" like and how does it compare to the MSR ATV Hi I often see recommended?

I might be better of trying risers first, but since these are available at a shop close to me, and are inexpensive, I thought they might be another good option to try.

TRACKSIDE - Steel Handlebar - Other Add-ons - Add-ons - Accessories - Cycle Gear

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have these bars and like them. They are about 3/4 an inch taller than stock I think and have a much less angle so the wrists are not under as much pressure. It's a standard dirt bike style. I used to run the same bend on my old dr350 and drz400 so it's very familiar feel to me on the strom.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good info, thanks. I've been looking for some dimensions online, and can't really find anything, so I didn't know how tall they were compared to stock. I figured they had less pullback than the OEM bars, though.

If they're only 3/4" taller than stock, I'll probably want to try something else. Looking for about 2". We have another more dirt bike oriented shop here close by, I may check them out to see what they have.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was just estimating on the height. I had the stock bars on for about 2.5 minutes. They killed my wrists. So I may be off on its height. Yes they don't pull back as far. Any CR HI bend bar will have the same dimensions so maybe something will come up online.

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally made it over to CG, and they had the Fly Racing bars, but not the Trackside. Got the Fly Racing ATV. Upon mocking them up on the bike (didn't remove anything off of the old bars), they are noticeably less wide than the factory bars. Quick check of Fly's specs show about 28" wide, compared to the stock bars 30". This concerns me, and I need to take some additional measurements to see if there is room for all of the controls. Don't really want to start taking stuff off the old bars if it's going to be a no-go from the start (I have heated grips, and whatever hassle that might entail during the removal process).

Forgot to take pics, maybe I can get some later today.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Actually, that slight difference in width may be a blessing for you. Cables, hoses, lines, wires all have 1 inch less to get where they need to go, which should offset some of the additional height. When I moved my 1" risers from my 2005 to my 2009 ABS, I had to replace the brake line. Apparantly the extra slack available on the non-abs model was designed out of the abs version.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, that slight difference in width may be a blessing for you. Cables, hoses, lines, wires all have 1 inch less to get where they need to go, which should offset some of the additional height. When I moved my 1" risers from my 2005 to my 2009 ABS, I had to replace the brake line. Apparantly the extra slack available on the non-abs model was designed out of the abs version.
This is a good point.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I also wanted to add that I also have the trackside bark busters on my bike. Very very solid. HOWEVER, they do hit the fairing a bit before full lock which I do not care for but I live with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts