StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you get a chance, and you have any sense of humour, you should try and pick up the June 2011 issue of Cycle Canada magazine. If you own a 650, and are sensitive about it, leave the magazine on the shelf. It's probably best if you stop reading this post as well.

In the June 2011 issue of Cycle Canada, there is an article titled "ONE BIKE 2011". In it, 4 of the employees of Cycle Canada compare their own bikes to see what would end up in the garage, if they could only have one machine. The 4 riders/owners met and shared one another's bikes, and evaluated them afterwards. Included in the comparison is a 2000 BMW K1200LT, a 1995 Ducati 916, a 1999 Triumph Tiger and a 2007 DL650. All of the evaluations are filled with humour but, being a V-Strom owner myself, the Strom evaluations were most entertaining to me.

I won't type out the entire article, but I will quote some of the entertaining bits...

"It's the quintessential ho-hum appliance you pull out for a necessary task and then put away without a second thought."

"Other than to say that the seat is uncomfortable, I have little in the way of feelings for this bike, so little did it impress."

"It's competent, I'll give you that."

"It's one of those motorcycles that you can't remember much about even while you're in the midst of riding it."

"Paul, like all V-Strom owners, is sensitive to criticism and his defense of his mount was so polished it sounded rehearsed."

Don't shoot me...I'm only the messenger. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
36 Posts
None of this really bothers me. Sounds like the reasons I bought it. Nothing extraordinary, but nothing you want to forget about either. Hop on, go for a fast ride, twist a little further to go faster, get where you are going. Doesn't matter what the roads are like in between.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Nice to see it running with the more expensive, more powerful 'big boys'. Says a lot for the little wee.

·
Registered
386 Posts
"It's the quintessential ho-hum appliance you pull out for a necessary task and then put away without a second thought."
The Wee/Vee flys under so many people's radar screens.... and I like it that way. We've all got a good thing going with these bikes so let the Pundits write what they like... WE KNOW THE REAL TRUTH!

I can hardly wait for my June issue to arrive.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
They have no idea of the hate mail flogging they are about to get. Let the weeing begin.:fineprint:

·
Registered
705 Posts
For me, the fact that an employee of Cycle Canada actually owns a wee says more than any of the "observations".

·
Registered
183 Posts
Luckily we cannot all like the same things. I love my Wee. A guy at the office has a new Multistrada, and they were parked next to each other this week. I actually prefer the look of my Wee, does not look like a bird of pray, and at a third of the price, I sure am happy. Sure, is the Multistrada better, yeah probably in many respects. Is it 3 times better, hell no :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
You know what's interesting in the past on of the greatest compliments of a motorcycle was that it just disappeared beneath me. That is its personality or quirks did NOT intrude into the riding itself.

Now that is bland, or is it that others spent 2 times as much and can not point to some real relevant superiority

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Nothing surprising there, even owners of the Mighty Vee will say it isn't great at any one thing, but good at most. I mean, look at the bikes the little 650 was up against, things like handling, fit and finish, features, engine size, sex appeal, those things matter, especially with moto journalists. Maybe the weestrom owner works in the mail room.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Neil Graham - the editor of CC and author of the article - has some opinions and styles that don't quite gybe with, well, anyone else. He could use a little humility.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Another article like this and I will have to sell my Wee and get a... um... what do the critics like?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm hugely disappointed. I expected my Wee to add ai least 4 inches to my penis, gimme a hard on at a snap of a bra clasp and get me laid at every street corner. It suppose to scream "look at me, I got a crotch rocket and I'm super stud".

Instead, all I got is a bike that starts, goes, stops and brings me back safely. :headbang:

·
Administrator
13,807 Posts
I loved the article!

It underlines why I have my Strom.. not to look at or to enhance my (already impressive!) manlihood, but rather to ride.

I do forget about the Strom when riding.. I don't worry about problems, or keeping it clean, or the next maintenance, or where to get service, or how I look on it, or anythign else. I don't need it to define me or to impress my neighbours or friends.

I just ride it! A lot!

I have come to the conclusion that a V-Strom isn't really a bike anyway, it is an attitude (or maybe the lack of an attitude?) It's for people that just want to ride their bikes. We have seen it here.. people that have moved to other bikes still hanging around here. Gatherings that started off with riders on Stroms evolved to just a gathering but the same people keep coming. We don't even care if people get other bikes and even give useful suggestions as to what other bike might best meet their idea of the right bike. Sure, we have the odd person here that needs to be validated, but most don't. Mort than anything a Strom rider is just someone that loves riding.

..Tom

..Tom

·
Registered
386 Posts
Neil Graham - the editor of CC and author of the article - has some opinions and styles that don't quite gybe with, well, anyone else. He could use a little humility.
Yes, he of the Ducati 916 of which he constantly bitches about the cost and frequency of maintenance.

He can have it!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Really they do point out one of my favorite things about the Wee, but their conclusion that it is a negative can't be more wrong. I recall not long after I got mine, I went to visit a good friend. We have been riding motorcycles or 20 years or so, everything from 70s standards to sportbikes to old BMWs. I let him take it for a spin, and when he got back, the first thing out of his mouth was "Is that all there is to it?"

If you're looking for a bike that constantly reminds you that its there, look elsewhere. I've been there, done that. There are lots of narrowly focused machines out there. The DL650 is in my opinion the perfect successor to the old UJM standards of yesteryear.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The DL650 is in my opinion the perfect successor to the old UJM standards of yesteryear.
The fact that it is a UJM was one of the things that appealed to me; a positive not a negative.

For me, the fact that an employee of Cycle Canada actually owns a wee says more than any of the "observations".
Seriously, you think journalists actually know anything about bikes ?

Occassionally I buy the mags for the pictures but I stopped reading their ill informed opinions years ago

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
I'm no expert (even though I've been riding on and off since 1960) - that's why I'm having trouble deciding whether to keep the Strom or the XJR1300. Two entirely different bikes for different uses. I like 'em both and was pleasantly surprised by the Strom when I did the ride to the Bright gathering.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Great point, says it all :green_lol::green_lol:
X2!

He's obviously in a position to drive pretty much anything yet "settled" for a Wee and that speaks volumes. Yes, before all of you jump in with, "he's only a journalist, not making a fortune..." and any other points of interest, he is in a very elite level of authority in the motorcycle industry in North America and thus has contacts and friends at every level of production. You and I get giddy at the thought of a 20% discount at our local shop. Just think of what he has been able to attain for deals.

We know why we love these bikes; he just hasn't admitted it on paper....

Yet.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The Wee IMO is to myself the same as my old 1970 VW Beetle. It just went where ever I pointed it. I sold it in 1986 with well over 500 thousand miles I am sure. 3 engines and 2 gearboxes I had put into it over time. When I sold it the car was still running very well. The Wee is like that minimal care and it just goes

1 - 20 of 33 Posts