StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking if I make a custom exhaust for the Strom, I could improve the ground clearance.
Also making the pipe "continuous" rather than having the "fat" joiner" in the lowest spot would help.

There appears to be room to route the pipe from the front cylinder beside the engine and in a gap between the frame and engine.
BUT - there is a mount in the way that holds the exhaust.

If I cut this lug off the frame there would (I think) be sufficient clearance to route the pipe through.

Has anyone done / tried this?

I'm also planning on getting rid of the "fat, flat crossover pipe" - one shoud be enough.

Thanx
Paul

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Wee or Vee?

Are you looking to improve ground clearance or cornering clearance? (Or both?)

On the Vee, the pipe rather rudely limits cornering clearance on the right side.

You might look at how the TL1000 and SV1000/650 route their pipes -- they don't really suffer from limited cornering clearance. I know they go under the engine, so no good if what you're after is ground clearance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi.

I have had the same idea for a long time. Have unfortunately not done it yet. Even playing with the idea of having 2 exhaust as per Vee. Will let you know if i find anything useful.

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
I believe one or two folks over on the ADV Forum has done this ..............check out the Vstrom threads there?? I believe they were from Oz (Down Under).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a Wee. I'm after ground clearance only.

I keep taking mine places it's not designed to go :)

Paul

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I shifted the oil cooler on mine to gain some extra room at the front. I was looking at the same placement for the exhaust. Only thing is that the rear shock mounts end up being the lowest point of the bike. I just modded the exhaust so that it was higher than that part.

The other option depending on your height is to raise the bike. I now have about 210mm of clearance with mine (without me on it). That may be an easier way.

Heres a link to some pics. try post #274

My new wire wheeled wee......in progress - Page 19 - ADVrider

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep - yours is higher.

Were you tempted to lose the hanger and shoot the gap between the engine case and the brake lever?

It's like the engine case is made for it.

Heat might be an issue beside the oil is all.

Paul

·
Registered
57 Posts
Were you tempted to lose the hanger and shoot the gap between the engine case and the brake lever?

Paul
I was tempted but once I realised the rear lower shock mount was lower still (once i changed the exhaust routing to wher it is now) I figured there wasn't much gain. I was considering the lowest point under the engine. My bashplate that I'll make will be level with that point, which mean't I didn't gain anything by cutting the tab off/re-routing and all the stuffing around making it fit. Also I ran out of offcuts so that may have affected the decision :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts