StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(sorry i posted this on wrong section in product review). am cutting down a c bailey tall windshield that i cant look over. anyone have any experience with such? plan to use a rotozip and have made a template of original curve of top to go by. any caveats such as melting or fracturing using rotozip? can i finish the edge then with sandpaper to smooth as long as i stay off the optical portion? thanks for input. jet

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm not sure if would use a rotozip. It would probably produce too much heat and melt the plastic back to itself. When you do this on purpose its called "friction stir welding" when you do it by accident its called "a mess". I cut my stock shield down with an ordinary jigsaw with a very fine blade. I probably should have used my band saw, but I was too lazy to clear all the crap off of it :roll: .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks mattman, will attempt something this weekend. i'm tired of looking thru the windshield. will let you know if it's a disaster or not. jet

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rotozip worked great. if you attempt same, use masking tape to protect the windshield, large enuf area to accommodate the footprint of the saw, rotozip etc. my template made out of masonite that matched the curve of the top of the windshield was moved down ~3" and clamped in place. a friend helped me secure everything. stand on a stepstool to have eye to eye view of your cut (my windshield was for a 6'7" former owner). finish the rough edge with hand sander or sandpaper, stay away from the optical front or back of surface of course. things worked as hoped, enjoy my ride more now and won't be afraid to cut down more if needed. also cover the bike with a drop cloth to protect from plastic shavings. jet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts