StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to shorten kickstand on my
2014 1000. Installed Soupy's lowering link and adjustable kickstand. Not loving the kickstand, and would like to have local welding shop shorten the o.e.m. kickstand. Soupy's kickstand as installed measures 8". Measuring the o.e.m. kickstand, it looks like it needs to be shortened 1 1/2 inches. There appears to be enough room directly above the bottom of the kickstand to shorten it the 1 1/2 inches. Has anyone done this and can chime in?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I've shortened a few kick stands. I'm sure any welding shop can handle it.
As for suggestions;
Remove the stand from the bike.
Insert a short tube inside the two pieces you are rejoining.
If the welder offers a reason why either is not really necessary, you might consider the reply ... just humor me.:wink2:

Reactions: chirosyd

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
You can test your measurements by rolling the front and rear wheels up onto blocks of wood (same front and rear) and use the stand.

When your happy with the lean of the bike while on the stand measure the height of the wood blocks, this will tell you exactly how much you want removed from the stand.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Don't shorten it, simply grind off some of the metal from the stands 'stop' lug, this allows the stand to swing out further thus increasing the lean angle. Go slowly as it's easy to remove too much.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Don't shorten it, simply grind off some of the metal from the stands 'stop' lug, this allows the stand to swing out further thus increasing the lean angle. Go slowly as it's easy to remove too much.
This can work, but it's a permanent change and will be a problem if he wants to sell the bike or raise it back to the proper height.

I suppose he could just replace the bracket if and when that time comes -- it's about $60.

·
Registered
894 Posts

The other problem with this method is it can be difficult at times to deploy the kickstand. If the bike is fully loaded or if there is any rise on the ground the kickstand can hit it in the downstroke.
If the kickstand is shortened, it can be lengthened by adding a taller foot if necessary.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your replies. I did a search, and it actually worked this time. I found a lot on the subject. I have decided that for now, I will use the Soupy's adjustable kickstand that was installed with the lowering link, and have gotten somewhat used to it. It does need a foot enlarger, and I just ordered that. I will keep the OEM kickstand for when I sell the bike, and put everything back to stock. Still love my Vee2, and feel much more comfortable now that it has been lowered. :smile2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts