StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone cut down their givi/calsci/m&p with decent results? I've got a brand new m&p 20" GT that is simply too tall. I'm thinking of taking off 4 inches on it, but am a little apprehensive to cut a $200 windscreen that has 20 miles on it.

And to answer the next question...I still get buffeting behind it over the stock screen. Its hot. and the transition between looking above/below the LOS really sucks.

Wish this bike worked for me...I've been dealing with the buffeting for 1500 miles and can't seem to find a happy meduim.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I have an M&P Cycles shorty screen that I cut down to the tops of the plastic strips on the mounts. Zero buffeting but it's a little loud on the highway. I like it for summer though, flows plenty of air. In the winter, my tall Parabellum screen goes back on.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Don't despair. Cutting a screen is easy. Just requires a jig saw with a fine blade, masking tape to protect the remaining area, some fine sand paper for the cut edge, and an hour or so. I have about the same mileage on my '07. I cut the stock tall screen to just over the mount strips as well, and I never give turbulance another thought. Really, it is the best solution. In fact, you may be able to sell the one you have and just cut the stocker if you have it still. I cut mine mounted on the bike. Here's a pic. Again, you have a great bike. Cut away, use some ear plugs, and then you can figure out your next mod. Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't despair. Cutting a screen is easy. Just requires a jig saw with a fine blade, masking tape to protect the remaining area, some fine sand paper for the cut edge, and an hour or so. I have about the same mileage on my '07. I cut the stock tall screen to just over the mount strips as well, and I never give turbulance another thought. Really, it is the best solution. In fact, you may be able to sell the one you have and just cut the stocker if you have it still. I cut mine mounted on the bike. Here's a pic. Again, you have a great bike. Cut away, use some ear plugs, and then you can figure out your next mod. Mike
Thanks for the positive vibes. I'm more debating on selling the windscreen outright vs hacking it up. Cutting it is the easy part. Once cut, there is no turning back.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
If you mark the cut line on a Cal Sci, Mark will cut it for you no charge. They use a laser to cut the edges.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I cut 1.5" from my CalSci screen without a problem, with a high-speed cutter. And Mark is very helpful with any simple mod you with to make.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I cut 1.5" from my CalSci screen without a problem, with a high-speed cutter. And Mark is very helpful with any simple mod you with to make.
Dremel, or a jigsaw? I want to make my stock windshield into a "sport."

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Used a jigsaw. Use tape to mark where you want to cut.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I cut the top 2 to 3 inches off both my screens on my st1300. Both had the reverse curve on the top that (I guess) is supposed to direct the air higher over your head. My theory is that all it does is cause more buffeting and turbulence. In both cases, when I cut this portion off the top of the screen, I noted a significant improvement in airflow, with less turbulence and more stability. Cut away. If the screen is no good to you the way it is, what have you lost.

Greystrom

·
Registered
71 Posts
Reading the thread this morning and decided to try cutting down my stock Suzuki windscreen 3 1/2". Took 1 hour 25 minutes. Used a B & D jig saw with a 18 tooth per inch blade and a very soft Dremel buffing wheel to finish the cut. Wanted the same radius as the top of the original wind screen. Had to extend cut lines on left & right side since top of windscreen is not as wide as area to be cut. Made template and used to draw cut lines on the masking taped area, clamped to the workbench, cut it out, buffed it, and ended up with a nice looking windscreen. Thanks for the information! ;)

Just got back from a test ride and air flow is much smoother over helmet! :D

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Nice job Bill. What is the measurement from the bottom at center to the top at center on your new shorter screen? I may take a stab at the stock screen. I don't think I will use it otherwise. Mike

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nice job Bill. What is the measurement from the bottom at center to the top at center on your new shorter screen? I may take a stab at the stock screen. I don't think I will use it otherwise. Mike
Was not going to use my windscreen until I started reading this thread. Modification worked out very well. From bottom center to top center it measures 11 9/16".

Thanks,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts