StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my new to me 07 wee back in August and have finally gotten around to putting a top box on. I had read online about people using hdpe cutting boards to mount pelican cases on their Stroms and my curiosity was piqued.

I ended up with a 1/4in thick Walmart board. The one I got had that little channel cut around the edge, so I put that facing down to mitigate dirt or water collecting. I used flathead m8 screws and countersunk them into the surface of the cutting board and then bolted it on from the bottom. I had to do this all with the OEM rack detached from the bike. Be sure to cut holes in the board to accommodate a deep socket for the 2 rearmost rack bolts! The nice part about using m8 bolts is that I found the nuts to be the same 13mm size as the bolts for the OEM rack which is a nice feeling. Since the oem rack is no longer flush when you remove the rubber insert, I put two washers on each bolt between the bottom of the cutting board and the top of the rear rack. If I didn't do this I would get a concave flex in the board as I tightened down the bolts.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire White Motor vehicle

Then came the case. I nabbed a pelican 1520 off eBay. You can see I offset the cutting board to the left to avoid the exhaust and still have the handle accessible.

I aligned the box on the board and taped it down. Then I shot 4 pilot holes through the box and board at the same time, drilled them out to the correct size and then installed some m8 buttonheads inside the case with a fender washer and a rubber washer each. Very happy with the result!
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

I did end up putting some pilot holes through the case that I couldn't use.. so now I have to find a way to plug those up.
Automotive tire Font Gas Auto part Electronic device

All in all I found this to be a fun process. I can report that the box is still very sturdy. It does feel a little smallish but I can still fit my messenger bag in for my commute to work. I can also dice vegetables at the campsite now too, which is a bonus ;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nicely done. I have a similar box mounted a little differently but I love having that thing back there. It's really waterproof and secure. Holds a lot of stuff and makes a good platform to strap even more stuff to. Best,DD

·
Registered
222 Posts
What's the point of bolting the Pelican case to the cutting board? Why not just bolt the case directly to the rack? 1/4"-thick UHMW seems kind of flexible to provide much support for the case.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Might as well go full KLR 😁

Reactions: notacop

·
Registered
16,015 Posts
Using cutting board is nice but I'm not sure it's necessary to add to mount a box. I've got the Suzuki steel bag frames on my 04 Wee. When mounting a pelican like case to the frames I bent a couple bits of strap that would hook over the bottom rail that bolted to the cases and used the holes that used to hold the top bag latch to run a clevis pin through. I used 1/4" fender washers to spread out the load on the mounting bolts and haven't had a problem in 10 years.
I've seen some really well made mounts but are basically a work of art and really overkill.
The Hardigg box I used one the rear rack I just used a U bolt and a couple straight bolts and a bit of strap to connect to the Suzuki frame. I don't normally remove the luggage so hard mounts work for me.
I didn't try to avoid the muffler when positioning the top box. It's more than far enough from the muffler to worry about.

·
Registered
2009 DL1000
15 Posts
I like how your project turned out. I recently went through a similar process on my vee. I bought a huge dry bag and wanted a plate to help support it when full, but mostly when empty. I used 1/4" plexi glass to get the size I was after and have a clean look. These projects are always fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts