StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wee (08) has intermittent problem: it gets an F1 error (maybe ign module error) and will shut off, esp. at idle. Happened year ago on several different occasions, then recently. Now, I think it was during rain or very damp conditions. Last recent time was muddy and raining. Stopped for gas. Wouldn't start. F1 code popped up. Shook some wires, kept trying, finally started. (Wire shaking was so I looked like I knew what I was doing.) About second morning after, battery was dead. Morning was very damp. Earlier times it seemed to kill battery, too. Replaced battery one of those.

Dealer could not find problem on 3 earlier times. After several hundred dollars. Warranty should have covered it. It runs fine most of the time. Was months since I had the problem.

Has anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Is it safe to assume this is the same bike as HERE?

Are you still getting a C40 code on your 2008 Wee with 20,000 miles (+/-) ??

·
Registered
392 Posts
two things

Two unrelated possibilities. One plugged air filter, flows enough air when it's dry but when wet it shuts off enough air and starves the engine. Worse if you ride in the dirt alot.

Two, ignition switch, not uncommon for them to have moisture problems when they get wet and old. Take apart and clean the terminals, probably see some that are corroded or burnt. Common on all bikes.

Also worth checking for corrosion the battery terminals, doesn't take much to drop the voltage alot.

Bill H.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
The upper spark plugs are located in a deep well and the well is drained by a small tunnel running out to the lower spark plug area. It is common for the drain hole to plug with mud etc. Then the upper plug will drown when it gets wet enough and fire up again as it drys out over time. An air gun with a fine nozzle will blow the drain out but you have to remove the lower plug to get at it. Cover the lower plug hole to prevent debris from entering. It's worth a try and also just good practice as preventative maintenance. You will remove the upper plug boot too before you start, or you can let the air remove it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry- thanks for responses

Yes, 510EBL, it is the same. Shoot, I was never notified of responses. Will check to make sure settings are to do so.

Yes, still get same error with 33,000 miles. Now know it only happens in wet weather, or very high humidity- heavy dew (once). It happened a few days ago, and a couple weeks ago- both in wet conditions. I will try a few of these suggestions, and get back with you folks.
THANKS for the ideas!

The bike's great- except for wet conditions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dealer's input

Just to follow through, took bike to dealer, told him I had no money, and warranty needed to cover it. He steamed it down, said error never showed back up. They did find a frayed wire that connected to the ISC valve. Looks like this had not happened to anyone before. It sure gave strange problems, esp. with killing the battery.

Will try to remember to give an update at least once more, after a few good soaking rain rides- which there are plenty of this time of year in the midwest.

Thanks, people.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The dealer should have an SDS reader to check for any codes that show up when there is a FI displayed. If you have an active FI, you can check it yourself with nothing more than a paper clip. See FAQ: Dealer Mode & FI Error Codes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, ya'll

For the first time since I bought the dl650 in '08, I wasn't charged to take the bike into the dealer. The (extended) warranty actually covered the cost of replacing the (some) wiring harness.

It rained (and hailed some) all the way home (40+ miles) and I had no trouble at all. I'll have to take the dealer off my blacklist, I reckon.

It's good to be riding again, even in the rain.

Thanks for the help, folks. I appreciate it. Thanks, GrEy Wolf.

s-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts