StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most people, i've had some of the buffeting issue. Bought a Clearview shield from Murph, that helped a lot but didn't completely cure it. Good solution for cooler weather, tho' I want to try a Madstad with it. For hot weather though I was looking for more air flow. Sooo, took 3" off the top of my stock shield today. Big, big difference. Lots of smooth clean air. Very happy. Highly recommended. :mrgreen:

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
So that would be in it's lower adj. I have mine in it's top adj but with the bottom kicked out with some hose...................

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Like most people, i've had some of the buffeting issue. Bought a Clearview shield from Murph, that helped a lot but didn't completely cure it. Good solution for cooler weather, tho' I want to try a Madstad with it. For hot weather though I was looking for more air flow. Sooo, took 3" off the top of my stock shield today. Big, big difference. Lots of smooth clean air. Very happy. Highly recommended. :mrgreen:
Welcome to the "Chop Till You Drop" CleanAir Club!! :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Cutting shield

Whistler and Monkeygrass, I intend to cut mine down as you have. What position do you have the cut shield mounted in??? the lowest one I expect you to say but I want to be sure. Good pic Whistler, I printed it!
Riz

·
Registered
334 Posts
Once You Chop, You Can't Stop!!

I have cut mine down and now wonder why they don't come from the factory that way. You will love it. Part of motorcycling is being in the wind, if you like wind then you will like the screen cut down. By the way, it is best in the lowest setting. It looks stock, like Whistler's. Great job Whistler!! HAPPY STROMMING!!

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Yup, it's in the lowest position, Markriz. The job's a piece o' cake, my friend! Do a good layout, and take your time while cutting. You'll like the results. :-D

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what did you folks use to cut the shield? Sabre saw and fine tooth metal blade?
You can do it that way. With the saw it helps to have someone hold the shield. I used a cutoff wheel on a Dremel. The key is to take it slowly. Don't set the speed very high and make a couple of passes, don't try to cut all the way through at once.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
You can do it that way. With the saw it helps to have someone hold the shield. I used a cutoff wheel on a Dremel. The key is to take it slowly. Don't set the speed very high and make a couple of passes, don't try to cut all the way through at once.
Tool freak that I am, I've never owned a Dremel tool. Anyone who really knows me would find this extremely hard to believe.

With a sabre saw, I'd either rig some sort of clamp to hold the shield or just cut it in place on the bike.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
It was much easier for me to do the layout and cutting while the shield was mounted on the bike. Use a couple of old towels to cover the dash, tank, etc. The shield will produce lots of small white flakes of plastic that will fly everywhere (I used towels and then my shop vac for the final cleanup). Wear safety glasses, too!

I also used a Dremel to do the cutting. Make several short and light passes, and things will be fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts