StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I found this site while Riding on the search engine in case your interested.

woodieswheelworks.com They specialize in custom made spoke wheels for our
DL 650 and XT as well as the 1000 in both models, - any from 2015 and up with ABS.

Nice looking stuff from what I see. Lots of drop down menus to select what you want.

Be ready for a sticker shock price tag at the end , but if you gotta have em. Well you know.

Some options are canyon carver- off road - and what would be extra heavy duty off road.
Anodized color options too.

All custom made from some of your parts or all new - you slice the cake how you want it . :wink2:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yup.. Woodies has been known for their high-quality wheel builds, mostly targeted at the big off-road bikes, for years. Everyone that uses his stuff raves about the wheels' strength and his after-purchase support.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Not any more. Received this just the other day in response to an inquiry. Here's my request and below that is their response.

First Name Bradley
Last Name
Country USA
Year / Make / Model 2014 Suzuki DL1000
Describe Your Services Requested 21" front, 18" rear wheel, supersize/superlaced, tubeless sealing

Bradley,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you as your email accidentally got archived.
Unfortunately, at this time, there are no spoked wheel options available. While there were hubs available at one time for this model, the company that was machining them has since gone out of business. We are looking into the possibility of manufacturing hubs in the future, but these bikes haven't generated a whole lot of interest in custom wheels. If you would like, we can keep your info and let you know if we do decide to move forward with making these hubs in the future.

Thanks
Jill

I apologize that we weren't able to be of more help at this time.

-------
Woody's Wheel Works
2200 S. Jason St.
Denver, CO 80223
(303) 578-9599 (Call or Text)
woodyswheelworks.com

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I can tell you now you don't want a 21" front wheel, I tried it and the bike would not turn. (but the was a Vee not a V2)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow That sucks, You guys know sometimes when you have a group of vendors
manufacturing a product and one of them drops out for what ever reason, The end result might just
be they no longer make the product. Tis the case here.

It sure was nice to dream about it while it lasted. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
@Rolex, was only looking at the 21"/18" combo for major off-road ventures. Out of curiosity, did you put an 18" rear on when the 21" was on the front? If not, that would create a significant "head up" attitude and I can understand why the bike wouldn't want to turn.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It's a long story I will try to keep short.

A friend wanted some wheels with off road tires (tyres in OZ) that he could swap over to when needed.

Online I found the perfect thing 21" & 18" spoked wheels with discs, new tyres and a high mudguard very very cheap.

The first ride told me why they were so cheap, the bike was terrible to ride.

I put in a lot of time and effort, lifting the back lowering the front, lowering the back lifting the front.

There was no solution to the problem and I'm sure the original builder of the wheels thought the same and sold the wheels at a great monetary loss.

I came to the conclusion that the extra gyroscopic forces of the lager wheel were not suited to the Vee Strom.

You could try it on the later model bike it may work but it is not a cheap experiment.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when you (Rolex) said it was terrible to ride what was it doing ? Did it upset the ballance? rough ride ? handling issues?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
The bike only wanted to go in a straight line, once you got any speed up it would not turn and that is a very uneasy feeling.

I don't know if you have ever ridden a bike with a smaller front wheel, they feel lighter and more nimble, the bigger wheel on the Strom had the opposite affect.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I know what your referring to. It's a gyroscopic effect. The larger diameter wheel resist the input to turn.

If you take note most if not all of the Hypermotard bikes have similar wheel sizes front and rear. To do what
they were intended to do it was a must they were designed that way. Extremely nimble.

To be a rider on any bike that fails to want to turn is a Turn off ( no pun intended) :smile2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts