StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2008 DL650 and, after much reading, determined that the factory seat would not be good for long distance riding. The PO had recovered part of it, so it was due for a change. I looked into swapping in a DL1000 seat, and also considered the factory gel seat. The DL1000 seat seemed like an attractive option since it was slightly higher than the 650 seat (I'm 6'1") and I saw one on a local craigslist for about $90. A local Suzuki dealer had a factory gel seat for about $220, but I heard bad things about them heating up in sunlight, which we have a lot of here in Southern California.

My last option is the one I chose; having the original seat customized. The downside is that when selling the bike, it wont have the original seat. Im a big fan of customizing seats for two reasons. One, it makes the bike look much better, and two, the seat is more comfortable.

I noticed that there is no rear seat cowl offered for this bike, unless I overlooked it in my research. I like the shape of Corbin seats, but I don't like how firm they are. With these two thoughts in mind, I went to Raul's Auto Trim in Ontario, California. After discussing the seat with Raul, here is how we decided to modify the seat:

I wanted the butt area widened and moved rearward and the front "nose" of the seat narrowed. I also wanted a firm base pad with a softer top padding. Upon removing the cover and original padding, we saw the raised area of the seat pan, kind of a fist sized bump. I read about that in another thread. I had the bump removed and plastic and cloth stapled over the opening. This allowed more padding to be put in the butt area preventing bottoming out.

Firm padding was added to the sides, widening the seat by about 1 1/2 to 2 inches (about an inch each side), but only from the rear of the drivers seat all the way to the back of the seat. The rear seat was covered in firm padding, while the front was covered with firm padding with soft top padding. Also, the main part of the drivers seat was flattened allowing me to move forward or back a bit.

Now that the comfort part was done, the cover was modified. The carbon fiber look seemed played out. I decided on a perforated seating area with feaux leather for the sides stitched together with yellow stitch that matched the yellow of the bike. The yellow is kind of like school bus yellow, rather than lemon yellow, meaning it has a bit of red in it, making it an orangey-yellow. I also decided to have the rear seat covered in matching yellow vinyl and stitched with black thread.

I cannot post results because Im new to the forum:crying2:

Im very pleased with the result. Without the bags, it gives it almost a sport bike look and the rear cover looks like a cowl. The seat is much more supportive and feels very comfortable. I have not taken it for a long ride yet, but Im sure it will be much better than the original seat.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I forgot to mention that the price was a very reasonable $180 and the padding is top notch padding and he had the seat done in four hours. He had me stay there so I could give my input and test fit the seat at each phase. This is my 6th post, so four more to go and then I can attach pictures.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice!

I do like the yellow And black look alot.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
10 posts, really?
2, 8 to go

I like the yellow and the shape, hope it's comfortable for an all day ride

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So far, the seat is very comfortable on 30 min or less rides. In fact, I had the Corbin seat on my 99 Triumph Sprint ST redone right after this and in riding both bikes back to back, this seat seems more comfortable. I really like the shape of this seat as it conforms to my bum. I feel like I am more a part of the bike, rather than feeling perched on top of it. I like the raised pillion seat because it gives a more secure feel when riding, particularly when accelerating. The narrowed front "nose" of the seat makes it a bit easier when stopped. I did the same narrowing on the front of my Triumph's Corbin seat and that too is MUCH easier to straddle, even though I do not have height issues (Im 6'1").

One more pic:

In this picture, you can see the profile of the seat more clearly. The "sitting" area is actually flatter than the original seat which increases the surface area of contact with my bum. I can actually feel that the load of my body is spread over a larger area, reducing "hot spots".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts