StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to have a much shorter stock shape screen to cover the front and keep the look clean.

The first screen I had made by Gustaffson plastics looked good but caused really bad buffeting. I still have it and i am going to try slightly different shapes on that one.

However, I still wanted something smaller and sleeker. I decided to make my own.

I started with a homemade template and cut and shaped the acrylic to this shape.

Next I marked the holes and masked and painted the inside black using spray hobby acrylic paint.

I had to order 2 each 65mm and 40mm, m6 x 1 .0 stainless pan head screws

I got some nylon hollow spacers at Lowes to build to supports behind the screen. The top uses a one inch offset, and the bottom is offset about 1.5". The contact surface of the spacer needs to be ground down to about a 35 degree angle to meet flush with the back of the screen.

I also got some neoprene washers for both sides of the screen mounts.

The finished product looks really good and makes the front look sportier IMHO.

The buffeting at any speed is gone! The screen pushes the wind up and over the bars and then it flows down and into your chest not your head. It is a lot louder but that is just because your head is now in the flow of the wind instead of the turbullent area in between.

I am very pleased with this mod and just wanted to share with everyone in case someone else was looking for something different

·
Registered
195 Posts
nice....when are you going into the business?? i wanna order one....

too bad you displayed it on a blue strom; with your evident good taste, i am SURE you own a black one...

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rxcoop said:
nice....when are you going into the business?? i wanna order one....

too bad you displayed it on a blue strom; with your evident good taste, i am SURE you own a black one...
I wanted black but all of my local dealers were sold out. I really don't care too much about color as I like them all.

I may just have to start making more...

M

·
0 Posts
Very Sporty looking! You may want to paint the machined screw heads black. Where did you get the acrylic?
Tom

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mcmann said:
Very Sporty looking! You may want to paint the machined screw heads black. Where did you get the acrylic?
Tom
I already blacked out the screws with an industrial sharpie. It seems to hold well, if not I will take the screws out and paint them.

The plastic came from San Diego Plastics.

T

·
0 Posts
Nice job bro! Looks very nice...I have been thinking of shapes and sizes for mine, just havn't started the building process yet. 8)

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not tried a larger screen. I wanted to get rid of the screen. I don't like looking through them.

This one has no buffeting because you are completely in the wind.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I may have a plastics guy to recreate these. I will keep you posted.

BTW, I was coming down highway 79 on Saturday the 12th and passed another V-strom coming up the mountain right around the really tight twisties. Was that you?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was out on Saturday, but South of the 8... I actually tackled the Bear Valley Road (if you can call that a road) towards Corral Canyon. After 30 years on dirt bikes, and 20 years on street bikes, a stock DL1000 can make you feel pretty lame on a rutted/mudded/sandy dirt road. Kept it upright, but more arm pump than a day of moto. I'm looking forward to 79. It wasn't all that great on my zx-11, but with the different power band of the DL, I expect it will be a blast... that wasn't a Buell reference.

·
Adventure Boy®
282 Posts
SpeedStar said:
BTW, I was coming down highway 79 on Saturday the 12th and passed another V-strom coming up the mountain right around the really tight twisties. Was that you?
Speedstar: We figured out that was me right?

Bikeslut: Did you do Bear Valley Road or Bear Valley Loop Road? I'm curious to know if they are both to be avoided. Looks like there is a lockable gate on Bear Valley Road sometimes - but what do I know, I'm looking at a AAA county map!! :?

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sandiegoland said:
SpeedStar said:
Speedstar: We figured out that was me right?

Sandiegoland - yeah I posted this before I knew it was you. See you at Japatul for Sunday's ride. :D

·
Adventure Boy®
282 Posts
Speedstar:

Going back on topic slighty... did you ever just completely remove the windscreen to see how that feels? I was thinking of pulling mine off (after the butterfly migrations stop!!!) to see, but thought it might be a false indication of how well your solution might work for me.

P

·
0 Posts
Sandiegoland said:
Speedstar:

Going back on topic slighty... did you ever just completely remove the windscreen to see how that feels? I was thinking of pulling mine off (after the butterfly migrations stop!!!) to see, but thought it might be a false indication of how well your solution might work for me.
I am curious about this too. I am in the process of moving from an F650 and the best windshield setup by far on that bike is NO windshield, IMO. What does the strom look/ride like without a windshield? Anyone have any pics? BTW, I really dig the mini screen!

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sandiegoland said:
Speedstar:

Hey Craig,

Sorry I did not see this post for a while. :oops:

I did start by taking the whole screen and mounts off to see if I liked it that way and I did. I just did not like the look with everything exposed and the un-even surface. That is when I made the miniscreen to cover it.

It feels the same either way - just looks better with the junk covered up.

Lets ride soon.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pd said:
Sandiegoland said:
Speedstar:

I am curious about this too. I am in the process of moving from an F650 and the best windshield setup by far on that bike is NO windshield, IMO. What does the strom look/ride like without a windshield? Anyone have any pics? BTW, I really dig the mini screen!
Hey pd - It rides better with no screen or with a miniscreen IMO because you have no buffeting and a lot less sail to catch in a crosswind.

It does not look the best though with nothing up front because all the mounts are exposed

Here it is with nothing up front

And this is with the miniscreen

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Johnny Strommer said:
Dude, admit it...you really wanted to buy a Duke right? :wink:
Yeah, you caught me. I thought no one would notice. My next step was Duke graphics and funny lights. :D

·
Adventure Boy®
282 Posts
SpeedStar said:
I did start by taking the whole screen and mounts off to see if I liked it that way and I did. ...It feels the same either way - just looks better with the junk covered up.

Lets ride soon.
Thanks, I'm tempted to yank it off this weekend when I cross the desert. I'm riding off to Phoenix to visit my Granddad. Maybe I'll pull it off for 150 mi, then put it back on and compare... depends on the bug situation!!

After Phoenix, I'll be down in Costa Rica for a bit. I should be back and chompin' for a ride the last weekend of April though... :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts