StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all
just getting prepped for my USA tour this summer and i thought id show you my luggage idea
i had a pelican 1600 lying around and thought how great it would be for a tail luggage box.
i built an aluminum extension for the tail to fit the pelican
it will be strapped down with 1 or 2 ratchet straps. I havent decided yet because i might try and find a way to keep a one gallon fuel can on top of the pelican
the aluminum has been painted black since these pics were taken
what do you think?

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Nice rack you got there.

My only suggestion would be that the back lip of the rack might be a good place to mount an extra brake light.

I envy the workshop in your garage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well thanks
its my neighbors garage and he loves building stuff

i like your idea of the brake light
perhaps a last minute addition is in order.
ill have to see what they have at the auto parts store. maybe some LED's would look sharp

do you think i could wire it in parallel with the original brake light?

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
maybe some LED's would look sharp

do you think i could wire it in parallel with the original brake light?
That's what I did.

I have the brake light for my Givi trunk and and extra set of LED lights connected parallel with my brake light. No problems so far.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
What are you going to put in it?
It sticks out a long way to the back and if it has any weight inside it will have a negative effect on the bikes handling. If you are riding solo why not reverse it and mount it over the pillion seat to centralise the weight then have lighter things behind it.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
What are you going to put in it?
It sticks out a long way to the back and if it has any weight inside it will have a negative effect on the bikes handling. If you are riding solo why not reverse it and mount it over the pillion seat to centralise the weight then have lighter things behind it.
Maybe Nilgiri should start exporting his racks to the overseas Market Richard :fineprint:

I think mine is great and it was a really good price, simple to fit and well made.
It has been on the bike for twelve months now and has been very useful. :thumbup:

A link for those who may be curious about or Aussie made V-Strom racks.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/australia-new-zealand/52268-rack-installation-[nilgiri-rack].html

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i do plan on doing some 2up riding so it could make for a nice back rest (if i ever decide to put a pad of some sort on it...)
its going to hold a tent, sleeping bag, pad, and other smaller miscellaneous items
nothing too heavy

·
Registered
16 Posts
How does the box stay on the bracket?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Never mind, ratchet straps...

Nice job.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have always wanted a trunk and since i already had the pelican case at my disposal i thought why not
i thought its lower profile and rugged suitcase look would be a little more original than the multitude of givi trunks i see riding around.
it is a tad bulky but i think ill get used to it after i start putting lots of stuff in it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts