StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I just got the latest Whitehorse Press fall/winter catalogue and on page 36 at the top the advertise a set of custom molded ear plugs for $15. I like the idea of custom as I wear the ear buds with the silocone cones that fit in the ear but they don't provide the level of noise supression I need (ie: I can still hear wind noise coming in through my helmet.

Is there some way to incorperate a pair of ear buds in to these custom molded ear plugs (ie: once the plugs have hardened up the cut a small hole and push a set of ear buds into the hole, or while the mold is setting up push a set of ear buds into the soft compound (with a tape over the bud opening) or is there a better way)?

Thanks in advance!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
How long have you had yours, Pat? I have been looking at those and others like them - something I can have fitted at a m/c show this winter for instance - but the thing that has always kind of scared me away is not having a good feel for how robust they are, the wiring that is. Seems like some better strain relief as the wires exit the molded area would be in order for good longevity. Your thoughts?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I've had mine close to three years and 50,000 miles. There is a small tube the wires go through molded into the piece. The insulation on the wire is very tough so the wire is hard to kink or stretch.

·
Registered
813 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you by any chance buy the full model earphones or the thinner hollowed out model, I think its the "S" model?
How is the sound for music?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I made my own, not the best.

I made my own custom mold earbuds by combining these two products:

Radians Custom Molded Earplugs,Orange: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com: MEElectronics M6-BK Sport Sound-Isolating In-Ear Headphones for iPod, iPhone, MP3/CD/DVD Players (Black): Electronics

I spent about $18 on the earbuds and about $12 for the custom mold earplugs. When I was done, I was a little let down with the lack of bass. Also I kind of doubt the long range comfort seeing how the sound tube wound up resting against the ear canal. I think I shoved the earbuds in too deep. Rather than spending another $30 trying to get it right, I think I will stick to speakers and earplugs in my helmet. BTW, I am happy with these custom mold earplugs when used as intended.

In case anyone wants to try to improve upon my effort, here is what I did. I mixed the ear plug compound and shoved it into my ear three times, folding the displaced excess over each time. Then I shoved the earbud (with the soft tip removed) into my ear, right into the compound, and then folded the displaced excess over to seal the earbud. After curing, I trimmed around the sound tube and picked the compound out of it. CAUTION - I have narrow ear canals and I knew from experience that the compound would not travel far into my ear. Others should proceed with greater caution!

For some reason, I was unable to attach a photo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts