StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am working on installing a small dash with two cigarette style power ports and an on/off switch. I thought I would post the installation in case anyone is interested. I am about half way done but I don't have any flat black powder coat, so I will need to order that in the next couple of weeks to finish the installation. I have removed the ignition switch and I will be using the two mounting bolts that mount the switch to the upper tree. Just an FYI you will need a tamper proof torx bit to remove the ignition switch.

Here is a pic of the plate I am making.

Here is a pic of the plate next to the ignition switch to show what it will look like installed.

This pic shows the power ports installed in the dash.

This shot shows what the dash looks like close to the location of where it will be installed.

Here is where I am at now. The plate is ready for powder coat once I get it ordered. I want to go with a flat black to go with the look of the bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The switch will control the power ports. I am not going to run them through the ignition at the moment. I just want to turn them off when the bike is off, and also be able to charge a cell phone when the bike is off if I want to. I may power them with a relay through the ignition at a later time, but then I will have to find something new to fill the hole.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Looks pretty sweet!! If you could manufacture this in bulk i'm sure a quite a few people would consider buying one.

My only concern is that rain water will run down the outside of a 12v plug and into the socket when you are using them in the rain.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
is the switch rated for outdoor use - rain, that is

is the switch rated for outdoor use - rain, that is

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The outlets are waterproof, and are made for marine applications. The switch is not as far as I know. I had that one laying around. I will probably look for another. There is plenty of room to modify this design. I just wanted to make sure it would fit in that location. I am kind of anal about my bikes and I do not like to drill holes if possible. This allows me to mount the plugs without any modifications to the bike.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Simple 12V electrical connections aren't much of a problem in the wet. Handlebar switch contacts are not sealed. I've had a standard Radio Shack rocker switch running a garage door opener for five years now. It's electronics, chips, transistors and such that need protection.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I finally got it powdercoated and installed. It works well and did not interfere with the ignition switch at all. I did install longer bolts through the ignition switch though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well I finally got it powdercoated and installed. It works well and did not interfere with the ignition switch at all. I did install longer bolts through the ignition switch though.

Great pics and very nice clean work on the mount. Well done.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looks pretty sweet!! If you could manufacture this in bulk i'm sure a quite a few people would consider buying one.

My only concern is that rain water will run down the outside of a 12v plug and into the socket when you are using them in the rain.
I would absolutely buy one. Just an FYI in case you were wanting to do that :thumbup:

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have to say, it looks pretty good. It's unobtrusive and blends in nicely with the bike while looking good at the same time.

Roughly how much did it cost to make the single unit?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I built almost all of it using scrap material, switch, and outlets that I had lying around. It would probably cost about $40 in materials. I will take it off of the bike in the next couple of weeks and try to get a CAD model of it made.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Richland Rich had a switchplate made up for the 2011 model. I am really looking forward to one actually being released for the '12 model, as I would like a switchplate to install a pushbutton switch wired to my garage door opener, Maybe you can beat him to the punch. You will probably sell a lot of them, and make a lot of people happy :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Very nice..I was just poking around the Wee tonight to find a place to mount a power outlet that I picked from Radio Shack for about $9.00 that looks identical to the ones you're using.

And then I realized there really was nowhere to mount one without drilling through some plastic...so I'd be all about one of those....

Let us know if you intend to produce. I'm also watching Rick's to see if he get's one made up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts