StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,099 Posts
It goes away with time but will re-surface when you change gloves.

I have about 45,000 miles on my 2012 and mainly I don't honk the horn but it does happen every so often and usually with a change of gloves. It was the number one beef about the 2012+ DL650 so don't lose too much sleep over it. You might want to wait on putting on you're steel horn for a while though.

..Tom

·
Registered
108 Posts
Every spring: honk, blink, blink. Every fall: honk, blink, blink. The glove changes will do it every time. You will get better at not doing it very shortly. At least until you put the heavy gloves on! :yesnod:

Welcome aboard...

·
Registered
522 Posts
THE SAME THING HAPPENS TO ME!!!! I've had the same pair of gloves for over 3 years (appx. 21,000 miles) and they are well broken in and aren't that thick. I feel like such a numbnut when I honk while using my turn signal. :confused: Thanks for bring it up TheRomantics.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Not a problem I've ever experienced :confused:

Try rolling your wrist a little forward on the grip, as in holding your wrist straight rather than letting it drop, and your thumb will be higher relative to the switch block and less likely to hit the wrong button.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Honk if you change gloves...

I'll echo V-Tom's glove comment. Needed to ride over to the other side of the state early this AM, and the temp plunged overnight, so I fished-out the electric vest & arm chaps, and the warmest gloves I own. I haven't beeped the horn all summer. This morning, operating the turn signal... you can guess the result. But only the once.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
By the time I can find the horn button, the situation has usually passed.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I thought it was just an audible adjunct to the visual blinking light. It just didn't always work.:shocked:

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I don't use turn signals.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Don't understand this one. :confused:

These controls are in the same place on just about every motorcycle. (BMWs and Herdleys excepted, I think.)

This your first bike or something?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

These controls are in the same place on just about every motorcycle. (BMWs and Herdleys excepted, I think.)

The horn button is fairly close and protrudes farther than the signal switch. I do it all the time, too.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Have you tried rotating the control module on the handle bars? I usually can't find the horn button. I've lived with the BMW 3 switch thing for 10 years and really appreciate the simplicity of the single control.
I need to remind myself the high beam momentary switch is forward of the clutch too!

·
Super Moderator
13,099 Posts

I guess you haven't ridden the 2012+ DL650? There is a slight change with the Turn Signal and Horn location. In over 125,000 miles on my 2006 DL650 I never had any issue with honking the horn when I meant to cancel the signals. When I first got the 2012 I did it almost every day. Now I only seem to do it when I change the gloves I am using.

There was a thread asking about any little complaints on the 2012 DL650. Hitting the horn by accident was a common complaint.

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
16,237 Posts
I honestly have never had that happen, but can see how it is possible.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Me too

I remember that happening for the first couple months, then again after glove changes as noted above. Seems more common with bulkier gloves, which let you mash both buttons at once or to slip off the signal switch and bump the horn briefly? Come to think of it, my initial ownership was early spring which required the heavier gloves. Anyway, it "goes away" eventually.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah for those wondering it is my first street bike and/or bike with a Horn.

It's not a real problem and I'm getting better at it. I just thought it was funny and figured it happened to a lot of people.

I felt especially bad when pulling up to a stop sign behind a 30 something year old mother with her two kids. She was doing nothing wrong and I honked at her... lol. I felt bad and kind of waved at her in her mirror not knowing what to do. I think she just thought, what an ass!

I'm sure it will be fine with more practice but yeah, my thumb touches the turn signal and the horn button simultaneously if I'm not careful and the horn button depresses VERY easily on my bike.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
So I can't stop accidentally honking at people when I use my turn signal lol... Solutions? I'm expecting "stop being so ham fisted" to be popular advice.
Put on louder horns. You'll be so embarrassed that you'll be ham fisted less often.

Good point above about carrying the wrists straighter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts