StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone out there has a CTEk 3300. If so, and if you use it during the colder months, do you use it on the Winter mode? I have read a little of both on if it's ok to use it but want to know its ok.

The manual says that that winter mode will charge 14.7/3.3A meanwhile on the normal motorcycle mode it says 14.4/.8A. I dont know too much in terms of electrical things and I'd hate to do something stupid.

Any input would be a huge help!
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The CTEK is a very smart, very high quality charger.

Chemical reactions are slower when cold. The battery is "sluggish." The higher charging voltages are required for cold temperatures. My Statpower TrueCharge 3-stage charger (from Burnaby!), for example, has settings for the absorption phase and the float phase for cold weather of 14.8 volts and 13.9 volts respectively. Warm weather gets 14.4 & 13.5 volts, and hot weather gets 14.0 & 13.1 volts. The amperage setting gives the max possible, and in use as a trickle charger won't give you excessive amperage even at the cold setting of 3.3 amperes. (If you had a discharged motorcycle battery to recharge when cold, I think I'd start it at the normal setting of 14.4V/0.8A, then later finish the charge at the cold setting of 14.7V/3.3A.)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks! That makes sense but I wasn't too sure about the amperage stuff. So, I guess it's probably ok then to use the Winter mode. I know nothing about AMPs, V and how it affects the battery charger. I am going to find me something to read.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts