StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 30 years of changing the oil on everything from bikes to boat diesels, I finally managed to strip a drain plug hole, and naturally, it was my beloved Vee's. The drain bolt would thread in but not tighten. I thought about trying a Time-Sert or Helicoil to fix it, but decided to take it to the excellent mechanic at the local mega-dealer who always does a great job. He fixed it by modifying a similar bolt that is longer and threaded in correctly. From now on, I'll either pump the oil out from the fill, or drain it from the second drain in the crankcase, which is a hex-head bolt on the right-hand case side.

What I learned from Mike the Mechanic: ALWAYS replace the crush-washer when changing oil. If you re-use the old washer, it becomes a shim. Mike said that means you'll have to over-torque the bolt to get it to seal, and it will thread further in than intended. Mike recommends torquing the bolt to 12 ft/lbs.

So, from now on, when I order a filter, I'll order a crush-washer along with it.

·
Ex- moderator
1,129 Posts
Automotive suppliers sell a self tapping slightly oversize drain plug..you simply screw it in - it cuts itself new threads. I used one a few years back on my sisters Honda Prelude..Not sure about the range of sizes available, but it might be worth looking into..

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Automotive suppliers sell a self tapping slightly oversize drain plug..you simply screw it in - it cuts itself new threads. I used one a few years back on my sisters Honda Prelude..Not sure about the range of sizes available, but it might be worth looking into..

Thanks for the tip.

The mechanic explained to me that the casting for the oil drain is problematic; one side is taller than the other, and there's a hole to facilitate draining the oil. That's why a simple helicoil fix won't work.

Since there's a second drain available, I figure it's safer to just leave the damaged one alone. And be REALLY careful threading it back in and always using a new washer.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
put teflon tape on the thread

works like acharm on my cars

·
Registered
384 Posts
Or you could get a skid plate and install a fujimoto valve. Then you won't have to do anything but flip a valve open. Forget the crush washer.

QuickOilDrainValve.com

·
Registered
664 Posts
Are those actually safe and effective? I seriously want one in that case...

The other major issue being: which one is set up to fit the Wee-Strom's drain plug (preferably with a tube to run to the container to avoid having to remove the bashplate)?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Never mind. Found the part... but does anyone know whether the runoff tube version will fit with a skidplate?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Are those actually safe and effective? I seriously want one in that case...

Never tried one on a motorcycle but I have had them on every pickup the wife and I have owned for quite a few years. I have nothing but positive things to say about them and never had any problems. I don't see why it would not work as long as you don't "catch it" on an obstruction. With a skid plate I think you'd be fine.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Does the Vee have a bigger drain bolt than the Wee (Glee)? On GW's link above it showed a 14x1.25 for the Vee, and a 12x1.25 for the Wee. If so, the Vee would use the F111, and the Wee would use the F103. Am I understanding this right? Just want to get the right one.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Yes, the Vee drain bolt is a 14mm and the 650s have 12mm drain bolts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts