StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...at what RPM range does the strom motor feel comfortable for sustained periods. When does the motor start feeling a little stressed for constant speeds? At how low does it begin to feel as if were lugging a little. I am wondering if a 14 tooth would make the strom ride better on 4wd roads w/o making it feel stressed when cruising at 85mph.

4000 to 8000? 3000-7000?

Consider for a big guy with a full touring/camping load.

thx

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
With a 14T, add about 400 rpm at highway speeds in top gear.

I've been running one for the last 13,000 miles.
It provides better acceleration in all gears at any rpm, any speed - but might be less desirable while high speed cruising for longs distances.

Try it.
It's cheap and easy to swap back.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I went up 2 in the rear and down 1 in the front,and I cruise at 4200 rpms at 65mph.No down shifting to pass and I can take off with no throttle.Works great for me..

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
On western trips, I happily do a real 75mph, 82 indicated all day at 6000rpm on stock gearing. I tried a 16T front sprocket instead of the stock 15T and didn't like it. It only knocked off 500rpm and the only way I knew something was different at speed was to look at the tach. Around town and when passing, the bike felt sluggish unless going down an extra gear. Off the line, there is nothing below first to go to.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can figure out the revs at various speeds and sprocket sizes, my question is at what rpms does the strom motor feel good cruising along at?

Does 8000rpm make the engine feel stressed or would it be happy at 8000 all day? 7000? 9000?

Does 3000 feel luggy when you give it gas on a hill? or are you better off to keep it at at 4000? how does 2500 rpm feel?

What is the rev range where the motor feels comfortable for sustained periods"?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Shifting around town it is (at least for me) up to 6000, down to 4000, again and again.

Highway cruising feels fine from 5000 up to 7000 to me. Probably would be fine higher as well but I have no reason to cruise up there.

She ain't very happy under 4000. Everything else feels pretty good to me.

Sent from my droid.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I can figure out the revs at various speeds and sprocket sizes, my question is at what rpms does the strom motor feel good cruising along at?
What you feel and what everyone else feels is different.
There are those that like 14T, and those that like 17T.

If you know what revs each sprocket runs at for a given gear and speed, run at that rpm and see for yourself.

Thanks.

·
Registered
944 Posts
YOu can download GearCalc at:
The Iron Jungle Software Page

If has a gear file for the DL and will let you "what if..." different sprockets.

In the end, you get a graph that shows MPH vs RPM for each gear.

·
Registered
722 Posts
On western trips, I happily do a real 75mph, 82 indicated all day at 6000rpm on stock gearing.
Same. I commute on the 'slab in the morning and aim to keep the speedo between 80-85, occasionally drifting down to 75. That's about 6k RPM and the bike doesn't seem to mind at all.

I've consistently averaged 55MPG even with that commute accounting for roughly half my miles. Although I haven't been doing that well early this season. However, I've yet to pull a tank at less than 50 MPG.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I find the sweet spot around 7K RPM. That is where the bike just seems to settle in. I wear earplugs so I do not know if the bike is screaming or not, it just feels comfortable, good throttle control etc. Hope that addresses the question you asked. It is worth keeping in mind that I am coming from a Buell Uly so it was hard for me to get used to runing at higher RPMS. I would be well past red line on the Buell at this RPM. Also the lump (Buell) would smooth out around 3.5 to 4K.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I find the sweet spot around 7K RPM. That is where the bike just seems to settle in.
True speed (not indicated) for a DL650 @ 7000 rpm in 6th gear with stock rear sprocket and a front sprocket of -
14T = 81 mph
15T = 87 mph
16T = 93 mph
17T = 98 mph

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Anyone ever do a top speed run? I'd think around 120 mph?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
True speed (not indicated) for a DL650 @ 7000 rpm in 6th gear with stock rear sprocket and a front sprocket of -
14T = 81 mph
15T = 87 mph
16T = 93 mph
17T = 98 mph
gearingcommander.com puts it at:

13T = 82 mph
14T = 88 mph
15T = 94 mph

I assume it to be accurate, but maybe it is mistaken. If it is indeed accurate, I may even consider a 13T, we'll just have to see.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
gearingcommander.com puts it at:

13T = 82 mph
14T = 88 mph
15T = 94 mph

I assume it to be accurate, but maybe it is mistaken. If it is indeed accurate, I may even consider a 13T, we'll just have to see.
gearingcommander is inaccurate :thumbdown: , by the same amount your speedometer is.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gearingcommander is inaccurate :thumbdown: , by the same amount your speedometer is.
thx ozart, I found that out in another post you had made earlier, while doing some searching. It seems as though that 14t would be as low as I'd want to go then.

That means about 104 when you hit peak power in 6th and 103 at 10000 revs in fifth, cruising 85 would put you at 7300, seems perfect for me. I'd rather have access to the top part of the power band than a slightly more relaxed high speed cruise, plus the lower speeds available in first would be a big plus on rough roads.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Great thread! Y'all just saved me time and money! I like the ranges talked about at bone stock! WoooHooooo I ride mostly country back roads, both commute and pleasure. Put her out on the highway last week just to see how she felt on the slab. Freakin' awsome feel. Punched her up to 90 (on the gps) with what felt like plenty left in spare. This is a cross country bike, fer sher. Am entertaining a long cruise for next year....cross country or the Canadian Atlantic provinces...... Stock is the way to go for me. Thanks for all the great research and input folks. :)
g
PS: Just got his bike about a month ago, so I'm waaayyyyyyy a newbie!

·
Registered
618 Posts
When I am cruising on the freeway, my wee "feels" most happy at 5500 rpm. However, I usually run between 5800-6200 rpm when traveling long distance. I love the 14 tooth front sprocket for the type of riding I do, but I don't like having to keep it near 7000 rpm when cruising on the freeway, so I usually stick with the stock 15 tooth. If I knew that riding at 7000 rpm for long distance was fine for the bike, I would probably put the 14 tooth back on and keep it there.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The bike will happily run 7000rpm all day, day after day. The horsepower curve is still at the same upward angle between 6000-7000rpm and the torque curve doesn't go down until after 7500rpm. There may be a long term effect but it would be very long term, well into 6 figures of miles. The increase in horsepower @ 7000rpm may help by allowing a smaller throttle opening but the torque isn't any greater so fuel economy may suffer. A 14T sprocket will shorten chain life though and some people will complain about vibration.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i find 65mph under 5,000rpm is smoothest but i agree with greywolf i typically cruise 70-75mph around 6,000rpm an hour each way to work. 4 months and 5,555 miles today :thumbup: so much fun to ride!

also forgot to add my top speed was 115mph on gps over 120 on speedo

1 - 20 of 38 Posts