StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ridden cruisers for years and wave at everything. I usually get waves back. Last year I bought a small dual sport (XT225) and still got waves. On the V-Strom I don't seem to get waves back from the cruisers as much. I'm wondering if it looks like a sport bike so cruiser riders won't wave. Anyone else notice this?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,305 Posts
If I could put a sign on the front of my V Strom letting....cruiser riders know I don't want to be waved at I would go do it right now!

Not to be arrogant, but I get tired of waving at riders after a few hours of it. And don't get me started on doing it in the middle of a turn when they need to be watching the road.....

I still stop when a bike is along the side of the road:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
There has been quite a bit of discussion on here regarding this issue. Seems to me that adventure style bikers don't wave as much either probably due to studying the traffic, GPS or just don't want to remove their hand from the grip. Sometimes it get redundant when you are riding in areas that are heavy with bikes such as the Dragon.
I generally wave unless I miss the other bike or conditions will not allow. I don't really get my feelings hurt if I don't get a return wave. After all we do look like a big scooter.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Never noticed it, I usually just do a half assed wave where I slightly lift my hand up haha.

I had a guy on a trike flap his arms like a bird...

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
We ride in about the same riding position as BMW GS riders. BMW riders seldom wave back. Maybe cruiser riders don't bother to wave at BMW riders.

Anyway, I'm semi-against waving. It means nothing to me, but I usually wave back.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I get waves from everyone, cruisers, sport bikes, adventure touring, sport touring, dirt bikes.

This weekend I was out on a ride by myself, and came upon three guys on cruisers (Harley Soft Tail Classic, Yamaha Star, and some type of Honda) in the road in front of me. I just slotted in right behind them and followed for about 15 miles (really curvy road, scenic, I was just relaxing and enjoying the ride). When we finally got to an intersection, I stopped behind them and the lead rider asked the others if they needed anything, gas, water, bathroom. Then he looked at me and said, "How about you?" I said, "I'm almost out of gas, is there a station anywhere nearby?" (I had no idea) He said, yes, there was, and to follow them. So we all stopped at the station, gassed up, talked for a bit, and they asked where I was headed. Turns out we were basically riding the same route, and they asked if I'd like to ride with them. I said sure, and we proceeded to have a nice group ride for the rest of the afternoon.

Pretty cool, I thought.

·
Administrator
13,499 Posts
I find pretty much everyone waves at me. The odd time someone doesn't but I don't think it has anything to do with the the type of bike we ride or they ride.

In very bike-busy areas like Deals Gap waving isn't practical.. Just too many bikes.

..Tom

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
If I could put a sign on the front of my V Strom letting....cruiser riders know I don't want to be waved at I would go do it right now!

Not to be arrogant, but I get tired of waving at riders after a few hours of it. And don't get me started on doing it in the middle of a turn when they need to be watching the road.....

I still stop when a bike is along the side of the road:thumbup:
Pretty much the case for me, except I'll add: I like to wave when I don't feel obligated to do so.

I once had a "lady" return my wave with an outstreched stinky butthole finger from the rear saddle of an Electra Glide. Probably just a clubouse amenity anyways.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Pretty much the case for me, except I'll add: I like to wave when I don't feel obligated to do so.

I once had a "lady" return my wave with an outstreched stinky butthole finger from the rear saddle of an Electra Glide. Probably just a clubouse amenity anyways.
So....middle fingers do count?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Here in Switzerland we 'hang' the hand out and a small wave, same in Germany, in France when I cross over they stick the leg out, either one, if on-coming left leg, if passing right leg, also to thank car drivers for moving over. In the UK, it's the nod of the head. Are there many more different types out there? Although the middle-finger salute is pretty much universally understood. I sometimes feel like a deck top signalman.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wave at anyone and everyone, dont care what bike they have. I wave at guys on bicycles, mopeds, scooters....anything. I would say about 90% wave back, up here in Canada. I ride with 2 groups, one with 4-6 riders (all wave), the other with 20-60 riders (most wave).

Our local forums have a long thread about waving at trikes and spyders does that count? Should they be waved at? nuts.... to wave rules. To me you are acknowledging a brother or sister that gets it, gets riding. I enjoy it even more when its pouring rain or -3 degrees Celsius and you pass a rider the exchange is so much fun sometimes. Our bikes are in storage 4-5 months out of the year,maybe thats why, so everyone is happy when they come out, that happyness lasts 2 months alone. For the most part we also wash our hands after we pee, its a Canadian thing.

Reactions: bobbyvstrom

·
Administrator
16,998 Posts
I usually do the nod, the wave is annoying. I even see many cruiser riders try to wave while entering a turn, of course most the time they are barely moving.:mrgreen:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I'm gonna go through my bin of cadaver parts and see if I can outsource my waving activities.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I wave or don't depending on my mood... I don't care if the wave is returned. I don't wave to those annoying e-bikes which should be banned from the world, everything else is fine, bikes, trikes of all types, scoots, or Auburn Boat Tail Speedsters...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wave, but I used to drive a jeep too. That's a community that seems all about the wave, complete with a hierarchy about who's supposed to initiate waves. So far this year I've had about on out of ten cruisers wave back, guess they don't like Stroms.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
It would be nice if you could push a button on the controls and have one of Norm's cadaver bin arms pivot out from the bike for you. Less motion and safer. Maybe even a beam that reads oncoming bikes so you wouldn't even have to push a button. I'd like that. It's the thought that counts.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
It would be nice if you could push a button on the controls and have one of Norm's cadaver bin arms pivot out from the bike for you. Less motion and safer. Maybe even a beam that reads oncoming bikes so you wouldn't even have to push a button. I'd like that. It's the thought that counts.
We are working on it.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts