StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

What's the best highway cruise speed for an DL1050 with topbox?

And what is highest stabile cruise speed?

I don't feel my brand new DL650 stabile over 145km/h (90mph) with topbox 馃ぅ

Premium Member
Hello

What's the best highway cruise speed for an DL1050 with topbox?

And what is highest stabile cruise speed?

I don't feel my brand new DL650 stabile over 145km/h (90mph) with topbox 馃ぅ
90 is pushing the limits of stability with this type of vehicle, especially with a cantilevered load on the rear. If you want to go faster than that, you might be happier with a more aerodynamic motorcycle.

Registered
What is the speed limit? Seriously, I would never consider cruising any bike at 90 MPH, especially a Vstrom!

Registered
My experience suggests keeping it under ~180kph. Admitted I may have hit a rock to trip that but tank-slappers are no fun at all.

It's not a LOT better than the 650, maybe 40kph. Possibly worse in that the 650 feels progressively less stable and more scary, my 1000 felt fine, up until it didn't.

Registered
Indicated was higher.

A Porche 911T was involved in finding that out, as was cabin fever and the end of Covid lockdowns here, even with that and him having a higher top speed I was catching him repeatedly on corner entry.

Registered
What is the speed limit? Seriously, I would never consider cruising any bike at 90 MPH, especially a Vstrom!
Parts of the western US have 80-85 mph speed limits. 90 won't get you pulled over normally.

Hit 100 regularly getting around semis.

My 1000 is much better behaved than my 650 was at those speeds.

Registered
I used to cruise at 110 on my little sportbike in the western US with no problem, but just doing 70 to 80mph on my Wee feels absolutely horrifying. I've learned to accept the fact that this bike just wasn't made for that, that the wind gods will literally kill me if I try, and that I really need to get a cheap used 600cc bike in the near future to satisfy my urges for speed. Until then, I'll be loading this thing up with camping gear and hitting national parks via poorly maintained forest service roads :)

Premium Member
I used to cruise at 110 on my little sportbike in the western US with no problem, but just doing 70 to 80mph on my Wee feels absolutely horrifying. I've learned to accept the fact that this bike just wasn't made for that,
Mhmm. I'm quite comfortable at 80 on the Wee for hours, but I definitely do not feel the need to go extralegal. This bike isn't exactly reassuring at much over that speed. Methinks @Rust is on the wrong motorcycle. ;)

Premium Member
I find that 80 is comfortable for the bike and me, a little higher when passing. :)

Reactions: chuckstrom

Registered
I still have the stock windscreen and mirrors, I have a feeling that I'd be happier if I upgraded them. My main problem is that I get serious wind slamming into my shoulders, feels like I'm getting punched by 2 invisible midgets on the highway lol. That and the front wheel feels squirrely over 80, like a tank slapper could come at any time. Quite scary compared to the buttery smooth Ninja I once rode.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In Germany there is no speedlimits at the biggest highway.

My old GS1200 was stabile at 180 with box on wich is much better at the highway traffic.
Maybe i have to consider a 1250 instead 馃槼

Registered
I have a 2014, I'm happy up until 190kph, getting over 210 becomes uncomfortable.

My top box makes no difference to the bike, it's a 40lt Shad, how big is your box & have you tried without it ?

I have the front forks lowered 5mm, I would like a little more but it makes the center stand hard to use.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts